A little praise

Started by spicemustflow, February 06, 2008, 04:58:00 PM

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 08, 2008, 04:45:42 AM
I really look forward to that. So far none of my chars lived long enough to get drawn in anything, usually due to my stupidity. I get overconfident and get slaughtered by a scruffy, toothless man with no arms.

edit: And nice to see that you guys had the same problem with interaction, it's gonna make it easier to crack the crowds knowing that.

Join a good, active clan that will help you stay alive due to the rules they impose and the fact that you'll have PC clannies to dissuade you from your stupidity and/or save you from it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I will do that, probably, though I enjoyed the idea of discovering things myself. One thing I learned so far is that when the char guild says assassin it really means "a wimp that has the potential to become an assassin after many months of hard training".

QuoteIf you're still having fun you obviously haven't encountered any of my characters yet.

JUST YOU WAAAAAIT

What, is she gonna bore me to death ;)? Or are you a black robe or something?

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 08, 2008, 09:33:11 AM
I will do that, probably, though I enjoyed the idea of discovering things myself. One thing I learned so far is that when the char guild says assassin it really means "a wimp that has the potential to become an assassin after many months of hard training".

Well...there are -some- things you can discover in game by yourself: Some locations, some nuances of code, some cool items, etc...

But IMO, all the REALLY TOTALLY AWESOME COOL STUFF you will discover in game will come through your interaction with other PCs.

And the best way to get solid, consistent, character-developing, plot-involving interaction with other PCs is to join a clan.

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 08, 2008, 09:33:11 AM

One great way to avoid dying a pointless death is to ask yourself if you plan on having this character for awhile.  If you answer "Yes", then, as with learning things in real life, you will have to assume a measure of patience.  Having said patience will keep you from going out into the wild to take on shit you have no business taking on, or doing stupid things inside the city that will end in crim code bending you over a table and having its way with you. 

If, as others have pointed out, your guy joins a clan that fits his mentality, attitude, personality, goals, desires, so on and so forth, then in time he might ask leaders of his clan about how he might train in the arts of death dealing.  Considering the harsh tone of Zalanthas, and the low value placed on life, most places will be overjoyed at having an assassin at their disposal.  Therefore, they will most likely try and train you in this work and provide you the means of becoming a badass.

However, if you don't have any patience (which I've been at fault for a great many times), expect to die - die quickly, die stupidly, and sit there staring at your screen, completely pissed at yourself for a great opportunity wasted. :)

February 08, 2008, 10:23:29 AM #29 Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:28:25 AM by spicemustflow
QuoteHowever, if you don't have any patience (which I've been at fault for a great many times), expect to die - die quickly, die stupidly, and sit there staring at your screen, completely pissed at yourself for a great opportunity wasted.

Hehe, ten of my thirteen characters ended in a most unepic way imaginable. So, I know I can get into Bynn ICly, about other clans, do I need to contact a clan imm before submitting a character? I don't mean the templars or such, rather something of a lower profile.

edit: A subquestion: So far I played only in Allanak and the Rinth, I'd like to try Tuluk or maybe Luirs, but I'm afraid they're ghost towns at the moment. True?

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 08, 2008, 10:23:29 AM
Hehe, ten of my thirteen characters ended in a most unepic way imaginable. So, I know I can get into Bynn ICly, about other clans, do I need to contact a clan imm before submitting a character? I don't mean the templars or such, rather something of a lower profile.

edit: A subquestion: So far I played only in Allanak and the Rinth, I'd like to try Tuluk or maybe Luirs, but I'm afraid they're ghost towns at the moment. True?

The Byn, AoD, Sun Legions, Allanaki noble clans, Tuluki noble clans, Salarr, Kadius, Kurac are all clans that you would join ICly by seeking out a hiring representative in game. In all of these, you will probably start as some level of "recruit"...which generally means you get food and water and training and involvement, but no pay for a while, and you're not a full member of the clan yet.

There are many opportunities for playing in Tuluk if you are so inclined. To maximize your opportunities there, I'd highly recommend playing a -human- (not an elf, not a half-elf) so that you don't have any issues with race while getting hired. Also you'll want to make sure you're a Tuluki citizen. Any mundane guild will work fine, though as always the most generally employable are warriors and rangers.

QuoteHowever, if you don't have any patience (which I've been at fault for a great many times), expect to die - die quickly, die stupidly, and sit there staring at your screen, completely pissed at yourself for a great opportunity wasted.

It all depends on the clan.  I suggest visiting the Armageddon Clan Information page for details on how to get into a clan.

Historically, Allanak consistently has the most players.  However, Tuluk sometimes usurps that position but is a ghost town at others.  Luir's is very sporadic, though the ruling party there, House Kurac, usually has regular players.  It's all about the flavor you wish to enjoy (information about which can be found in the online docs) and where your character would be housed.

OK, I made a human and this time will consider being a part of the team. Didn't contact any clan imm, so I'll try to hire myself up IC. I'll try to play thic character as realisticaky as possible, so no more hmm, let's see if I can kill this silt horror (later I'll check in the docs what a silt horror is). Thank you all for your advice!

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 06, 2008, 04:58:00 PM
I'm pretty new to this mud compared to some of the veteran players, but I want to say that it proved to be the ultimate gaming experience I had recently. The unbelievable attention to detail, both code wise and from the design point of view, the atmosphere, harshness of both the world and the players, the constant danger of (perma)death make me want to play this thing to the exclusion of sleep, food, school, friends and relatives... Not really, but you get the point.

So Kudos to all of you who had a part in making and maintaining this mud (and making it free for all!!), and to all of you that just play in it. Keep up the good work!!!

First off, Im going to take all credit for this :D Second, Welcome to the addiction of a lifetime. Third, Being a newbie is the best time ever. Just get familiar with the game world and talk to everyone. And of course, Join the Byn.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I really wish that I had joined the Byn with one of my very first PCs.  Seeing all that stuff for the first time as wet-behind-the-ears mercenary in a company of hard-case ass-kickers would have been a treat.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Everyone should join the Byn at -least- once. Mmm Byn stew, and Nekrete afternoons... *fond memories*

Quote from: Mood on February 07, 2008, 12:33:51 PM
I remember sitting in the Gaj, trying to chat up the NPCs.

They never responded.

:'(

It would have been hilarious if an imm popped into one and forever confused you by responding.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 08, 2008, 12:30:37 PMEveryone should join the Byn at -least- once.

Definitely agree. The Byn is a great clan to experience the gritty and harsh side of Armageddon, especially for the first time.

Quote from: Seeker on February 08, 2008, 12:22:29 PM
I really wish that I had joined the Byn with one of my very first PCs.  Seeing all that stuff for the first time as wet-behind-the-ears mercenary in a company of hard-case ass-kickers would have been a treat.

Oh, it was. Byn's a great way to get into the game.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Unless you don't like rigid clan schedules and being stuck solo-emoting when no one's around.

Just saying. The Byn's like that girl with the curl. Great when she's good, but when she's bad, she's REALLY BAD.

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 08, 2008, 02:20:00 PM
Unless you don't like rigid clan schedules and being stuck solo-emoting when no one's around.

Just saying. The Byn's like that girl with the curl. Great when she's good, but when she's bad, she's REALLY BAD.

But that's another thing about the Byn...leaving's as easy as telling your Sergeant you're outta there. And/or when no one's around, that's when it's time for fun mischief :)

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 08, 2008, 02:21:34 PM
But that's another thing about the Byn...leaving's as easy as telling your Sergeant you're outta there.

But I've always wondered just far that goes.

The grim, muscular man gets a barbed whip from his filthy hide bag.
> say (squirming in %giant grip) Uh, sarge, I wanna leave the Byn, okay?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Just because you're told to follow orders doesn't mean you have to. Ever wondered why the Byn have great barrier?
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

I wish I was a newbie again.  I played a merchant with a name that Seeker (rightly) makes fun of me for.  However, since playing that merchant, I've come to realize that I hate merchants, and so I kind of wish I had played in the Byn to start out, with a RANGER.  Rangers are my favorite.  Still, those golden newbie days.  Nothing can replace them, except logging into Arm 2 for the first time.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

And playing while inebriated.

QuoteJust because you're told to follow orders doesn't mean you have to. Ever wondered why the Byn have great barrier?

What do you mean by this? I played in the Byn once, with a pitifully short lived PC, but don't get it.

I think, generally, it means that many clans have lots of rules.  Rules set up by the organization to protect their investments... like the food, water and shelter they provide to recruits.  Many times these rules are set up primarily to forbid recruits from doing suicidal things, like running off solo into the deadly wastes of Zalanthas.

Even though your character will (often) face consequences (if caught) breaking these rules, it is important to remember that the rules are IC restrictions only.  If your character is a slacker and frequently sneaks out of chore duties, your -character- might face the consequences.  You, the player, will not be considered a "bad rper" for not having your PC follow all the rules if it is true to his nature to break them.

As for the rest of the statement, use of the Way is one of the major means of communication and keeping tabs on clan members.  See "help barrier", and "help contact", and it might become more clear why having a highly developed barrier might be a good thing for a troublemaker.

Seeker

Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

If you are who I suspect you are, you need to stop dying / going poofie before clans can hire you properly  ;)

That would be the most important first step.

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 09, 2008, 01:06:54 PM
QuoteJust because you're told to follow orders doesn't mean you have to. Ever wondered why the Byn have great barrier?

What do you mean by this? I played in the Byn once, with a pitifully short lived PC, but don't get it.

As Seeker said really. If your sarge sees there's no-one doing their chores, and finds your mind with the Way, he'll know you're slacking.

Help barrier, I suppose.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

QuoteIf you are who I suspect you are, you need to stop dying / going poofie before clans can hire you properly  Wink

I don't think I'm your suspect, since most of my chars don't even get the chance to nod at ~someone before they die, and only clan I was in is the Bynn. I'm playing it safe this tine :).