A little praise

Started by spicemustflow, February 06, 2008, 04:58:00 PM

I'm pretty new to this mud compared to some of the veteran players, but I want to say that it proved to be the ultimate gaming experience I had recently. The unbelievable attention to detail, both code wise and from the design point of view, the atmosphere, harshness of both the world and the players, the constant danger of (perma)death make me want to play this thing to the exclusion of sleep, food, school, friends and relatives... Not really, but you get the point.

So Kudos to all of you who had a part in making and maintaining this mud (and making it free for all!!), and to all of you that just play in it. Keep up the good work!!!

Glad to hear you are enjoying things.  Keep it up and you will continue to be amazed by some of the things that you find.  I myself have been here for a few months now and I can't get enough sometimes..  just finding out a few small details that I couldn't believe then running into it later..  yeah.  Good stuff.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Thanks, dude. Things like this are always nice to hear.

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 06, 2008, 04:58:00 PM
...make me want to play this thing to the exclusion of sleep, food, school, friends and relatives... Not really, but you get the point.

Why not? The REST of us do it.

Welcome to CRACKAGEDDON :)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so much!

Your GDB handle sounds like you are a veteran player and just messing with us because it makes you happy in a weird way

If that is so, well done

If not, hi there bro.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Not really, I've been playing for less than a year with big breaks thrown in, and when I read that bragging post about the crazy things people have done like 8 years ago I feel I didn't really scratch a surface of the game. Anyway, I wanted to say this for some time now, but somehow couldn't register in the forums.

QuoteWhy not? The REST of us do it.

Welcome to CRACKAGEDDON Smiley

I failed at least one exam because of arm, have to control myself before my teeth start to fall off and all that...

Quote from: Ghost on February 07, 2008, 02:28:53 AM
Your GDB handle sounds like you are a veteran player and just messing with us because it makes you happy in a weird way

If that is so, well done

If not, hi there bro.

I think spice must flow is more from Dune then Arm.

We're glad to have you and are quite content to add another sheep to the slaugh-.. *cough* Our fold.  Feel free to find a Helper or two if you come across any issues or have questions about how things work.

Kick some ass man.

I'd like to steal this space to say I ran into an awesome newbie the other day.

Whoever you are, awesome newbie, stick around. You'll get the hang of things.

February 07, 2008, 10:05:06 AM #12 Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:13:26 AM by spicemustflow
While we're on the subject of newbies. I see a lot of people who seem scared to approach other PCs, like this guy entered Gaj and saw a bunch of us sitting at the bar talking about whatever. He just stood there for a bit, then entered the dorm and sat there for a while, presumably waiting for the place to clear up a bit so somebody would pay attention to him. Nobody did and he departed the land of Z. I had the same problem in the beginning, being not confident in my emoting skills I felt pretty daunted to enter some interaction with better players. It's getting much better on my part, but still I find myself sometimes avoiding the tavern if the place is crowded. Just like a little kid standing aside while other kids are playing in the sandbox :).

edit: thanks for the welcome folks, btw.

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 07, 2008, 10:05:06 AM
I had the same problem in the beginning, being not confident in my emoting skills I felt pretty daunted to enter some interaction with better players. It's getting much better on my part, but still I find myself sometimes avoiding the tavern if the place is crowded. Just like a little kid standing aside while other kids are playing in the sandbox :).

Been there, done that... the thing is, the only way to get better is practice.  And there are going to be far more people that are going to think 'A noob!  Let's hook them into this game!' than there are people that are going to think 'Oh man, that guy can't emote for crap.'  It's embarrassing to not be good at it, but.. everyone who plays here has been there, even if it was back in the Mists of Time, and most people view new players fondly.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on February 07, 2008, 10:52:27 AM
I had the same problem in the beginning, being not confident in my emoting skills I felt pretty daunted to enter some interaction with better players. It's getting much better on my part, but still I find myself sometimes avoiding the tavern if the place is crowded. Just like a little kid standing aside while other kids are playing in the sandbox :).

Been there, done that... the thing is, the only way to get better is practice.  And there are going to be far more people that are going to think 'A noob!  Let's hook them into this game!' than there are people that are going to think 'Oh man, that guy can't emote for crap.'  It's embarrassing to not be good at it, but.. everyone who plays here has been there, even if it was back in the Mists of Time, and most people view new players fondly.

So long as they spell and punctuate correctly.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

While we're on the subject of newbies. I see a lot of people who seem scared to approach other PCs, like this guy entered Gaj and saw a bunch of us sitting at the bar talking about whatever.

Well, depending on the personality of their PC, the best way to handle this would just be for someone to go Y HELO THAR and drag them into interaction. After some time they will realize interaction is not so scary after all, and that people don't seem to mind their nubbishness.

People who know me will find it amusing that I, once upon a time, was ALSO scared to interact with anyone at the bar, and pretty much didn't. My first character in ARM was in Allanak--a mousy tailor girl who, because of my own hesitance, wouldn't even -sit- at the bar in the Gaj. (Sat at the ledge instead.)

P.S. If you met a newbie who's trying really hard recently, send kudos. They love that, and the encouragement may be enough to keep them trying to learn ARM.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I remember sitting in the Gaj, trying to chat up the NPCs.

They never responded.

:'(
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I mostly hid in the crafting halls of my clan for the first three months. 

I was -very- lucky to have an IMM who went out of her way from time to time to ease me towards interaction and slip in the odd environmental or NPC emotes when I was solo'ing.  It took excellent players (who knew a shy newbie's situation) to open up the world for me from there.  And they did.

I bloody well intend to return the favor every chance I get.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

> tell barkeep Hi.
> tell barkeep Um.  Do you know where I might find a job?

Well, the GDB said to ask around in taverns!
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Actually I had a similar experience, where I was doing a lot of solo rp and staff animated vnpcs or npcs when I was starting out. It was absolutely the most encouraging thing imaginable to know that even as I avoided the entire player base I was still being watched and encouraged, by a busy staff member no less. ;)

And I think most people here are more than willing to rp with new players so asking the barkeep if he knows about work might not be a bad move at all, who knows who might overhear it?  Hell, some experienced players should chat with npcs more.  Of course if I'm playing an asshole the rp I give new players might not be sweet and full of rainbows and puppies, but to some extent any attention is good attention.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I thought a pc with the sdesc the short, dark-haired imp was actually an imp, in the Barrel, when I first started out. Like demon of fire. I was like omg. And I thought that the two wyverns I heard about were actual wyverns, which were like some kind of humanoid dragon race....

Welcome to Armageddon.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

It is good to hear that you are enjoying yourself, Spice. Keep it up and you will find yourself drawn into some of the best stories ever written, and what is more, you have a part in co-authoring them.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

February 08, 2008, 04:45:42 AM #23 Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:56:47 AM by spicemustflow
I really look forward to that. So far none of my chars lived long enough to get drawn in anything, usually due to my stupidity. I get overconfident and get slaughtered by a scruffy, toothless man with no arms.

edit: And nice to see that you guys had the same problem with interaction, it's gonna make it easier to crack the crowds knowing that.

If you're still having fun you obviously haven't encountered any of my characters yet.

JUST YOU WAAAAAIT