Merchant. got the idea, but what to do?

Started by Abascal, April 16, 2003, 09:55:42 PM

I am plotin' out my next character and I was pondering making him a merchant. I do realise that you buy low sell high, but I mean how exactly is this done? look for one vendor who sells things cheap then go to another vendor who will buy high?or is it all player interation. Im in confusion, can some one give me some input.

Heres the quickie answer, check out the following helpfiles:

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?guild_merchant
http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?offer
http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?skill_haggle
http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?skill_value
http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?barter
http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?buy

The slightly longer answer is: "Yes". Skills like 'Value' and 'Haggle' will allow you to, eventually, judge how much something costs, and snooker vendors into selling them at lower rates, or buying them at higher rates. There is no skill to do this with PC's, so I would suggest either finding out what people need, and supply it...or making up a need for something, and then supplying it (all the while, selling your wares at exorbitant prices).
Tlaloc
Legend

ahh thank you for you flood of information. ome how I feel like I am asking people how to play half the time.

have merchants so good even been known to buy somthing from a vendor and sell it back at a higher price, (orthe same price)

Also, as a little FYI, because your the "Merchant" guild, doesnt mean its assumed that you buy and sell things right off the bat. The "merchant" guild is the synopsis for a class that has it a bit easier if they choose to do this. I mean I've had warriors that were merchants, buying and selling things and making money. But merchants are much more...

They have people dealing skills: listen, haggling abilities, valuing.
They eventually learn to MAKE great things to sell by learning all crafts almost, or so the helpfile suggests.
They also are better cooks, riders, and wagon pilots.

So a "Merchant" guild character can do alot more then just 'buy and sell' most make a good living as a crafter at first, learning to sell their product (i.e. developing barter and value) and often developing their ride and other skills to eventually be able to travel and make their own money if they choose to.

A developed bartering will have alot easier time haggling up the price on whatever you decide to start trading consistantly then one starting off.

So now back to the main question, eventually, overtime and through exploration you will find shops and learn selling and buying patterns of people around you. You may find this man in the north that decides he really likes a type of sword made in the south. Just so happens this guy in the south like a type of wine from the north. You could make a profit trading this back and forth. And these are the types of things you need to look for.

Making contacts will help you learn what PCs want. A guard for some house might like to make things from rocks, but he cant go outside. There is a buyer right there for something you can hone and learn to do.

Anyways... I think you get the point.
The essential to merchants is indeed to 'buy low' and 'sell high' but there is alot of different ways to get to that. So have fun.

Quotehave merchants so good even been known to buy somthing from a vendor and sell it back at a higher price, (orthe same price)

I heard of this a while back, but I think the economy of the world has since been changed to prevent this. It was considered very twinkish and unrealistic to sit at a shopkeeper, buy a sword, and then sell it back for double, then buy it again, and then sell it again.

Common sense would imply the shopkeeper knows that its his sword, and wouldnt be stupid to keep buying it back at a loss. But -I have- personally sold things a shopkeeper sells to them for a higher price then they sell it for. Like I used to make armor, and it just so happened that a scrab-chestplate I made I bartered up to a high price to someone who sold that same piece, and his price for it subsequently went up.

Hope that helps.

I actually did once, as a merchant, manage to haggle an item below the price for which I was able to turn around and sell it to the very same merchant...  I actually only wanted to look at the thing (analyze), and only meant to sell it back for the -same- price, but hit ^P-<RET> (repeat command) one too many times while haggling it back...  I considered it extremely twinkish and never did it again...  I didn't even think it was possible.   The system may have been fixed since then.  (I only made two coins off it, btw :)

Well, I think just about everything has been touched upon here, beginning merchants can have it pretty hard off to start (barring crafting, I hate crafting... end rant).  Most merchants in the Known World are either servants of one or another great Merchant House, or are independent traders.  Indie traders need to be very careful not to step too heavily upon the trammeled ground of the Merchant Houses, selling through them is usually better than blatantly attempting to circumvent their business.  *wink, wink*  

That said, House Salarr doesn't give a damn about Joe Commoner who makes those inferior crafted swords until he starts making real coin, building his own shop, and training his own guards.  At that point, Joe's likely to be either pressed into Salarri service, or disappear quietly in the night.

Remember that if you become a big fish, the world is watching.

Lord Templar Hard Nose says, in sirihish:
"Of course, for a small fee I'll gladly have my men increase patrols near your new store."

Lord Templar Hard Nose sends to The Big Salarri Strongarm:
"You were right, he is undercutting Salarri prices, for a fee, I can remove this nuisance, of course."

Lord Templar Hard Nose thinks:
"Mmm... fees."

Excellent, and Eternal's posts are what I'm going to model my Templar after if I ever decide/am allowed to play one. :)

For a fee? Why .... I'll do it for free if they ask me nicely.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Alo tlike in real life, ifyou have ever tried to start your own buissness(i have and I own one now) it is very hard at first. But if you do it right then you can make alot of money. Except things in real life are not so black and white like in the game.

The only thing Black and White in Armageddon is the text.  7DeadlyVenomz aside.  :wink:
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

Quote from: "Shinigami"The only thing Black and White in Armageddon is the text.  7DeadlyVenomz aside.

I find that statement to be derogatory and ill-suited to the general theme of this post. I demand that the post be removed or edited instantly.

I will not tolerate your predjudices to color and those who use it. I demand justice. I will have my forty acres and a kank!

:shock: Oh waita second....Shinigami is an Immortal....never mind...uhm...

:lol:
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Under heaven all can see beauty as beauty only because there is ugliness.
All can know good as good only because there is evil.

Therefore having and not having arise together.
Difficult and easy complement each other.
Long and short contrast each other;
High and low rest upon each other;
Voice and sound harmonize each other;
Front and back follow one another.

Therefore the sage goes about doing nothing, teaching no-talking.
The myriad of things rise and fall without cease,
Creating, yet not possessing,
Working, yet not taking credit.
Work is done, then forgotten.
Therefor it lasts forever.

- Tao Te Ching II

its my new signature