Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 864500 times)

Armaddict

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #28175 on: August 09, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
Bad headspace of late. Too many thinks, auuugh!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Riev

« Reply #28176 on: August 10, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »
I should have kept up with basic programming skills.

There are things I want to do in VBA/Excel that I'd rather do in the code than clutter the data on the screen. I know what I WANT to do, but I can never seem to find the right solution.

EXCUSE ME, ARRAY. HOW DO YOU OUTPUT TO THE DEBUGGER A LIST OF VALUES, BUT WHEN I CHECK INDIVIDUAL POSITIONS YOU ARE EMPTY? STOP PURGING YOU JERK.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28177 on: August 10, 2017, 04:33:19 PM »
Power outage at 10 PM while showering. NOT FUN. 0 light, no flashlight anywhere, couldn't find my tablet in the dark. Wet hair and head covered with shampoo.  >:(

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #28178 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
I should have kept up with basic programming skills.

Heh, so, non-complaint: I landed a Google phone interview a few weeks from now.

Complaint: I didn't understand freakin' Dynamic Programming in ECE 608 and I don't understand it now.
"You know you've been playing too much Armageddon when you overhear one co-worker say to another, 'Grab your hat and let's go for a walk outside,' and you have this sinking feeling like someone's not coming back from that chat." - Gimfalisette

ExtraPlanar

« Reply #28179 on: August 11, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »
Tried writing second chapter of my thesis but my brain is too boggled and I don't know why. I thought it was going to be straight forward to write  :-[

Riev

« Reply #28180 on: August 11, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »
That time you finally get your function working properly, it outputs expected numbers, and you realize... you're not accounting for the unique values (data comes in multiple rows with client last names, like a line-item sheet).

So you write a new function that checks the name fields to only be using unique data.

And the value ends up being .004 off. WHO EVEN CARES

James de Monet

« Reply #28181 on: August 12, 2017, 12:06:44 AM »
There are things I want to do in VBA/Excel

A coworker came to me and said "Hey, how do we file a request to have you write something in Excel..." and I couldn't hold down a chuckle.  In my defense, it'd be a little bit like going to a graphic designer and saying "Hey, how do we file a request to have you design something in MS Paint...".  I feel bad, though, because I'm pretty sure I responded "Well, for starters, we wouldn't do it in Excel, because Excel is garbage...".  He never came back.   And now I feel like a code snob.  :P  (That's not to discourage you from using VBA.  It has its uses, just not for robotic automation.)

I landed a Google phone interview a few weeks from now.

Fair warning, they might ask you to code in the target language on a white board.  Just letting you know in case what they want isn't your main language.  Also, if you come out to Silicon Valley for an interview, hit me up!
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

boog

« Reply #28182 on: August 12, 2017, 02:17:29 AM »
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

tiptoe

« Reply #28183 on: August 12, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »
I'm sad that this is a thing:

http://nypost.com/2017/08/01/love-bombing-is-the-newest-dangerous-dating-trend/

I feel like that's always kind of been a thing, and now they've given it a dumb name. Love bombing? Really?

But in reality, having seen that first hand...it's pretty fucked up.

boog

« Reply #28184 on: August 12, 2017, 10:06:49 AM »

I feel like that's always kind of been a thing, and now they've given it a dumb name. Love bombing? Really?

Yeah. I guess the really sad thing is the fact that it's become so prevalent that it had to even be given a name.

I'd bomb you with love forever though, girrrrrrl.
 :-* My love for you has never faded!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Riev

« Reply #28185 on: August 12, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »
There are things I want to do in VBA/Excel

A coworker came to me and said "Hey, how do we file a request to have you write something in Excel..." and I couldn't hold down a chuckle.  In my defense, it'd be a little bit like going to a graphic designer and saying "Hey, how do we file a request to have you design something in MS Paint...".  I feel bad, though, because I'm pretty sure I responded "Well, for starters, we wouldn't do it in Excel, because Excel is garbage...".  He never came back.   And now I feel like a code snob.  :P  (That's not to discourage you from using VBA.  It has its uses, just not for robotic automation.)

Oh believe me, I'd rather not be using Excel for anything we DO use it for, but we're a non-profit agency that already has heavily customized the software we DO use. I'd rather not use one excel workbook as a tracking tool for the things we're submitting, because frankly, I live in that workbook and its a hassle to have to email someone if they're using it and left it open (don't get me started about using version control on ANYTHING....)

Also BE a code snob. VBA doesn't make any sense, and everytime I look up an example of how to do what I want, there are 5 different ways of using the same damn function with 12 different formats.

I miss semicolons, and tab indenting, and comment blocks. I just want to have all this information in a database and SQL out what I need or don't need.

tiptoe

« Reply #28186 on: August 13, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »

Yeah. I guess the really sad thing is the fact that it's become so prevalent that it had to even be given a name.

I'd bomb you with love forever though, girrrrrrl.
 :-* My love for you has never faded!

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28187 on: August 14, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
I thought this dude was calling me for a phone interview but actually I was supposed to call him.

Job seemed like a good fit, too.

Excuse me while I go beat my head into this wall and wallow in frustration and self-pity for the next half-hour.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #28188 on: August 14, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »
That's cool panic attack. I don't actually need to be able to swallow or breathe.

Riev

« Reply #28189 on: August 16, 2017, 04:24:33 PM »
I know its mostly my fault, but my doctor's office called on Monday and I assumed it was their normal 48hour reminder that I have an appointment coming up today.

So I went in today.

My PCP isn't even in this timezone for 2 weeks. They were calling to tell me he wouldn't be there.

WHICH I TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR, but my last appointment was cancelled in error too, when I asked them to cancel one appointment because I had another the day after. They cancelled both. What if I'm dying.

boog

« Reply #28190 on: August 16, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
Ugh. I'm sorry, riev.

I scheduled my wisdom teeth extraction for next week. Absolutely everyone I knew was unavailable for the day before time I scheduled. EVERYONE. I think even my kids were busy.

Fuck's sake.
There is only one boog.

James de Monet

« Reply #28191 on: August 19, 2017, 01:46:17 AM »
Why is it that despite the fact that I log in at different times all the time, it's always late afternoon or dusk?  I'm not kidding.  Like 90% of the time.  And then, every once in a blue moon, I get lucky, and when I log in...it's early afternoon.   :P
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Malken

« Reply #28192 on: August 19, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »
Me: Let's start our visit of Boston by walking the Freedom Trail beginning at the Boston Common park ...

Oh. Are you fucking kidding me ...
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Pale Horse

« Reply #28193 on: August 19, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
Me: Let's start our visit of Boston by walking the Freedom Trail beginning at the Boston Common park ...

Don't wake Swan.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

boog

« Reply #28194 on: August 19, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »

Don't wake Swan.

Thought this was a Fallout 4 reference at first. I'd forgotten about the protests. Heh.
There is only one boog.

Malken

« Reply #28195 on: August 19, 2017, 05:44:56 PM »
I spent the whole day like 5 minutes from the rally park and I think I saw like two people with signs.. I don't know how the news reported it but it was a pretty well contained event and I think it was over by noon.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

BadSkeelz

« Reply #28196 on: August 19, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
The actual Conservative rally only had a permit for 100 people and maybe got that. The bigger story is the approximately 15,000 counter-protesters who also showed up.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Unoei

« Reply #28197 on: August 19, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
I cut my hair.  And I kinda want to cry about it. :P
Collect as precious pearls the words of the wise and virtuous. –Abd-el-Kadar

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28198 on: August 22, 2017, 09:37:34 PM »
I have a shiny new role that has been kicking soooo much ass....

...I also have to coach stupid football for my lame sons. The real world is esting into my pretend life. :( I also can't say fuck or shit. At all. This is hard for me.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Molten Heart

« Reply #28199 on: August 25, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »
The link to my remote site keeps going down and it's keeping me from getting anything done.