Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 1135458 times)

MeTekillot

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #28550 on: April 14, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
Got into it with Russian shills on reddit. They dinged my comment karma total with brigade votes

EDIT: Edited.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:18:18 PM by MeTekillot »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28551 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
There's been a bug in my code that's been vexing me for like two months.  I've been slowly narrowing down things that aren't the cause, but I always end up pulling out my hair and going to work on some other part of the project for my own sanity's sake.

Today I sit down to try and tackle it again and... I can't reproduce it.  Everything is behaving as it should be.

>:( >:( >:(

Do you make video games, Moe?

No.  Well, kind of.  I make training simulation software.  Many of the same challenges as game development, but pays better and much much less of the unpaid-overtime crunch-cycle abuse.

Fathi

« Reply #28552 on: April 15, 2018, 05:16:28 AM »
God, fuck the American insurance/pharmacy/healthcare triangle so much. I am so angry on my mother's behalf.

My mom recently had to get shoulder surgery after an accident. The op went well, she's recovering great. Except until today, when she tried to go in and get her pain prescription refilled and her insurance company or the pharmacy or someone apparently refused the refill. Even though her doctor signed it and it's perfectly legit. By their count, she's gone over the allotted prescription painkillers she should have had in this time period. Even if the doctor's count is different.

What's particularly stupid about this is that my mom runs the hospice wing of a teaching hospital. She administers gonzo knockout painkillers to dying people literally every day. If she WANTED to steal pain meds to get high or sell on the black market or what the fuck ever she could do it easily. But no, her insurance company thinks she's trying to steal a single extra tablet per day so they won't refill her scrip for another three days even though the doctor has okayed the dose she's currently on, which isn't abnormal or unusual in any way.

Like, yes, okay, the US has a huge prescription drug problem. But how on earth is telling someone with no history of addiction problems fresh off a rotator cuff repair "sorry by our count you're nine tablets ahead of being able to get a refill" going to help that?

Apparently there's some sort of appeal she can go through where the doctor sends a fax to her insurer to correct the mistake (if there even was a mistake, she's literally just been following her doc's orders with 'take these pills and when', doc thinks maybe someone on the insurer's side wrote down the date of surgery wrong or something) or discrepancy, but what the hell. My mother works in healthcare and has damn good insurance and pays out the ass for it. She has a legal prescription from a doctor for a painkiller dose that isn't even the maximum. But despite all that and despite the assload of money she pays, she's scrounging pain pills off friends and family right after surgery.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28553 on: April 16, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »
My office is connected to my boss' house. It is a family owned and run business. This means I get to hear ALL of their family drama. Their kids are spoiled little shits.

It makes me grateful that we are financially comfortable without having enough money to lavish them with gifts.  When you buy my 11&12 year olds a game or a t-shirt or whatever, they are legitimately grateful. They also have chores they work at to earn their own pocket money. Not the Boss' kids. These are the most ungrateful spoiled little shits I have ever had the misfortune to be around. It is obscene how much money they dump on these brats, only to watch them destroy everything they get their hands on, from game consoles to vintage sports/pokemon cards to A BRAND NEW PICKUP FOR A 16 YEAR OLD THAT HE TREATS LIKE A GARBAGE CAN/DEMOLITION DERBY CAR.

Shit.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Akaramu

« Reply #28554 on: April 16, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
A BRAND NEW PICKUP FOR A 16 YEAR OLD THAT HE TREATS LIKE A GARBAGE CAN/DEMOLITION DERBY CAR.

Shit.

Wow.  :o If I ever get stinking rich and have kids, I'll simulate a middle class household for them and they'll have to work for additional pocket money. Plus I'd feel more comfortable in a normal family home than some luxurious mansion.

Grapes

« Reply #28555 on: April 16, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »
Yeah, getting preventative maintenance is entirely too difficult, imo, not to get political, and not to point to the bloat in the healthcare industry, but just, blegh, sorry, that your mom has to deal with that.

EDIT: My mom spent near 30 years with a pinched nerve in her neck from an accident where a truck ran over her car at high speed on my second birthday. She used ice packs... in a nice universe it would have been treated, was in her neck though so it could have paralyzed her, she only could get it fixed recently, up until then, she'd just use ice packs and make stifled, pained noises.

ETA: It was an eighteen wheeler, just, crushed her, she drug herself out, then limped home, and... pretended like nothing had happened, before, collapsing.

ETA2: It was an MGB, which was a tiny car, even if a bit sporty... wasn't the first time it had to be repaired.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:05:59 AM by Grapes »
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Lizzie

« Reply #28556 on: April 16, 2018, 08:03:17 PM »
WTF Discord
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28557 on: April 21, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »
It is a real struggle accepting my flaws as my own instead of blaming them all on my parents. In that I mean it is hard, seeing all your flaws mirrored in your parents and reflected in your upbringing, while simultaneously realizing I have complete control over my own life and still refuse to fix my own flaws despite awareness for them or where they might have come from.

Acceptance might be the first step but it is also the easiest.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28558 on: April 25, 2018, 08:48:45 AM »
Someone drove AROUND my house last night into my backyard. Shitty of them, but what is even shittier is that one of the wheels on their vehicle broke through the top of my septic tank. Destroyed it. They backed out and left. No phone call to warn me, nothing. They burned me and left. I got home from the ballparks to find a gaping hole filled with sewage staring at me.

I honestly might lay hands on someone over this if I find out who did it. I just dropped 5 grand on my daughter's braces. I just don't have the money for fix this bitch.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

boog

« Reply #28559 on: April 25, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
What the fuck is wrong with people!?

Can you contact the police? Insurance?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

MeTekillot

« Reply #28560 on: April 27, 2018, 02:07:28 AM »
One of the Sindome admins has a hate boner for me. Annoying.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28561 on: April 28, 2018, 10:49:20 PM »
I may end up jailed for murder if these fucking teenagers don't stop using the garage directly below my apartment for their extraordinarily loud parties. Get off my damn lawn and get out from under my goddamn living room floor you noisy, inconsiderate children.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28562 on: April 29, 2018, 12:55:29 AM »
So I finally cracked and knocked on the door. Drunk college kid tried to mouth off to me about respecting him. Oh, you went there. I full-on yelled at him. It was cathartic. His girlfriend looked embarrassed.

I told him exactly what an inconsiderate little shit he was and that if he ever tries to pull this crap again, I'll call the police. If you want to run a party pad with 3+ parties a week running into the wee am hours, rent a goddamn house, not a 1 bedroom in the middle of a building occupied by people who want their goddamn sleep.

I'm not one bit sorry.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

bardbard#4

« Reply #28563 on: April 29, 2018, 10:35:42 PM »
*slow clap*
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28564 on: April 30, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
Challenge frat boy to a drinkkng contest. He won't be inconveniencing your sleep if his liver is bleeding from radical amounts of tequila shots.

MeTekillot

« Reply #28565 on: May 02, 2018, 11:50:03 AM »
I ordered food from two restaurants because I forgot I ordered from the first one already.

James de Monet

« Reply #28566 on: May 02, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »
Some dude just passed me on the freeway.  He was lane-splitting in an almost car-sized trike.  Dude.  Seriously?  Sigh.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:44:27 PM by James de Monet »
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

boog

« Reply #28567 on: May 04, 2018, 11:41:31 PM »
Some dude just passed me on the freeway.  He was lane-splitting in an almost car-sized trike.  Dude.  Seriously?  Sigh.

Can my ICAT be about every other driver other than me for the rest of time?

Fuck, I hate most people who drive... at least, in this state. Lord Jeebus, they are awful.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

James de Monet

« Reply #28568 on: May 05, 2018, 01:18:06 AM »
For realz.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Akaramu

« Reply #28569 on: May 05, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »

Fuck, I hate most people who drive... at least, in this state. Lord Jeebus, they are awful.

Yep. Sometimes I wish people under 21 and over 70 couldn't get licenses around these parts. They don't need a license in most cases, our public transport is awesome.

That said, old people are the WORST drivers. Worse than teenagers.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28570 on: May 08, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »
I can't get my bloodhound to gain any weight. Poor guy looks like he is starving but we feed him vast amounts of dogfood, like a couple of pounds a day. The last few weeks he has been getting all the fatty table scraps we gather. I have dewormed him. Nothing. He is still active and a lunatic but he just looks like he is wasting away on me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:07:45 AM by WarriorPoet »

tiptoe

« Reply #28571 on: May 08, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »
I can't get my bloodhound to gain any weight. Poor guy looks like he is starving but we feed him vast amounts of dogfood, like a couple of pounds a day. The last few weeks he has been getting all the fatty table scraps we gather. I have dewormed him. Nothing. He is still active and a lunatic but he just looks like he is wasting away on me.

How old is he, what kind of food do you feed (and how much), and what did you deworm him with?

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28572 on: May 08, 2018, 11:36:22 AM »
18 months or so.
I forget the name of the brand of dogfood but my wife is good about researching stuff like this. I am sure it is a high quality brand. EDIT: Pedigree Adult/  Complete Nutrition
The dewormer is whatever the vet gave us. I assume he knows his business.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:47:00 AM by WarriorPoet »

tiptoe

« Reply #28573 on: May 08, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
It really may just be the amount and that you need to feed more. Young sport dog puppers need a LOT of food. Sometimes a higher protein food can help too. My dane was eating 12 cups a day at that age (granted he was probably larger than your boy). Also if he's not neutered that can make him burn through nutrients even faster.

Pedigree also has a pretty high carb count. I would maybe try something with higher protein and fat, less carbs. I feed this one: https://www.chewy.com/diamond-naturals-beef-meal-rice/dp/34921, personally. It's relatively cheap (less than a dollar a pound) and while not being the best food out there, is really pretty good overall.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28574 on: May 11, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
Random internet article prompted me to revisit one of my still-favorite TV shows of all time: Babylon 5

Then I realize the series premiered TWENTY FOUR YEARS AGO.

Then I see that about half of the main cast have died, some of them in the last 1-2 years, and with me not having known.

I feel old and sad now.