Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 1425312 times)

DesertT

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #29050 on: December 30, 2019, 06:15:45 PM »
Caught something that has -really- drained me... to the point that I find it tiring to sit and Arm.

So now I've binged The Kominsky Method and finishing up the Paper Tiger special by Bill Burr.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Harmless

« Reply #29051 on: January 01, 2020, 02:02:49 AM »
Another day, another terrible disaster, now in Australia over massive fires... hope all loved ones are safe.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #29052 on: January 06, 2020, 06:38:33 PM »
Writing a time travel story that is both coherent, and doesn't follow typical time-travel story structures, is really fucking hard. Constantly having to re-finagle the story, mechanics, and structure so that the decisions of the characters makes sense and I'm not falling into typical paradox traps.

It's tough.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #29053 on: January 08, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »
I have to get a root canal after a bad infection started on Sunday.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #29054 on: January 15, 2020, 06:49:09 AM »
I wish I could explain to my dog about how we don't eat before surgery.

I also wish I had slept a wink last night before having to get up early to take my dog in for surgery.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

James de Monet

« Reply #29055 on: January 17, 2020, 10:16:08 PM »
One of the funny side effects of debugging is that sometimes youíre disappointed when something isnít broken.  Because if it was broken, you could fix it, and things would get better.  But if nothingís broken and the whole thing just works kind of meh...there isnít much you can do.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Bebop

« Reply #29056 on: January 18, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »
Working 30 hrs a week and going to school 30 hrs a week is exhausting.  In one year when I have normal hours again itís gonna feel soooooo easy.

Riev

« Reply #29057 on: January 18, 2020, 11:35:03 AM »
I have been in this position for almost 4 years now, and there hasn't been one single year where processes/procedures/how to do my job hasn't changed dramatically.

But what doesn't change? The fact that I can't force other people to do their job. My processes are driven by the input of other people. That $80,000 we're missing isn't because of me. If I had the paperwork, I would process it. Asking me every week "where it is" doesn't make the other people move faster.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Bebop

« Reply #29058 on: January 18, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »
I have been in this position for almost 4 years now, and there hasn't been one single year where processes/procedures/how to do my job hasn't changed dramatically.

But what doesn't change? The fact that I can't force other people to do their job. My processes are driven by the input of other people. That $80,000 we're missing isn't because of me. If I had the paperwork, I would process it. Asking me every week "where it is" doesn't make the other people move faster.

I am of the personal opinion you need to find a new place to work.  Sounds bleh.

Riev

« Reply #29059 on: January 20, 2020, 09:30:48 AM »
Its all paper pushing, and I could script myself nearly out of a job because of the redundancy.

The problem is that year after year, the redundancy is different. Instead of Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3, now we're doing AllAtTheSameTime, but you actually can't DO Step 3 until you get an answer for Step 1. Information from Step 1 informs Step 3.

The problem of pushing paper is that you can't make other people do it. Even this morning I heard:
"Well isn't it weird that our vendors haven't delivered an invoice since November?"
... Yes boss, it is weird, but the person IN CHARGE of vendors is recording it as they should, so maybe you should ask her?
"I'm sure its fine, but don't you think that's weird?"
I do. It is weird, because they won't get paid if they don't send us an invoice. You should talk to the person who does those.
"Naaah."
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Kyviantre

« Reply #29060 on: January 21, 2020, 02:00:44 PM »
Today I found out that there is a 5 messages per hour on this board, and I just exceeded my alotment, and now must wait to be able to return to my very important discussion about the use of exclamation marks :-\
Previous of note: Kyviantre, Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Kaona, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer the Guilder/Kadian, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide'
Current: Like I'd tell you..

DesertT

« Reply #29061 on: January 21, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
Today I found out that there is a 5 messages per hour on this board, and I just exceeded my alotment, and now must wait to be able to return to my very important discussion about the use of exclamation marks :-\
#firstworldproblems

Are you now lying on the floor, snow-angel-weeping?

If not, I know a guy...

My idle complaint?
The WiFi is down at the office, so I have to basically leave the secure building to do anything on my phone.

Kyviantre

« Reply #29062 on: January 21, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
Are you suggesting I hire an ugly-crying mourner to sob like a waterfall over my most-certainly-first-world-problems?

If so, I already know a guy.  Fairly sure he works for figs and being allowed to win games of snap...oooh, snap! ;D
Previous of note: Kyviantre, Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Kaona, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer the Guilder/Kadian, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide'
Current: Like I'd tell you..

DesertT

« Reply #29063 on: January 21, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »
I havenít had a fig IRL in a long while...