Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 1277392 times)

Cerelum

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #28950 on: June 06, 2019, 12:07:16 PM »
Every damn time it's rained for a little bit now, the passenger side floor of my front seat in my car floods a little.  Creating a little puddle that I gotta soak up or bail out.

I couldn't figure out where it was fucking coming from, till it rained yesterday and I literally sat in my car to watch.  After doing that, I noticed when you open the door, the area where the hinge is, there is like a strip of plastic shit that is leaking.

When I pushed on it, it's like totally detached and just floating there.

I'm a total newb at car repairs, so I'm guessing this is gonna cost a small fortune to simply have someone glue that shit back on so it doesn't leak water.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

Synthesis

« Reply #28951 on: June 06, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
I mean...the obvious solution is to buy some glue and get to work, homie.

Or move to Arizona.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28952 on: June 06, 2019, 04:05:14 PM »
Arizona is great. Best climate in NA. Just move somewhere near Sedona. You are within distance of the grand canyon on a long drive, snowboarding in flagg on a short drive, thousands of amazing hiking trails and natural rock formations in immediate area, the Oak Creek and Verde rivers and multiple massive pine forests and mountain ranges. Jerome, Montezumas well and castle, slide rock.

And then Sedona itself. Which is world renowned for its beauty. And you are within easy planning range for Antelope canyon, horseshoe bend, fossil creek.

If you like going outside and seeing beautiful places, basically, northern Arizona is for you.

James de Monet

« Reply #28953 on: June 06, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »
They have torrential rain storms in the summer and ice in the winter.  In Arizona.  How and in what way is that a good thing?
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28954 on: June 06, 2019, 07:32:13 PM »
Monsoon storms are great and welcomed by most people around here. Floods are only a problem if you live in a wash or somewhere dumb, and only happen once every five to ten years or so. Ice/snow is only a problem in Flagstaff where the elevation is above 7k feet. Otherwise the coldest it gets in winter is jacket weather. It's not like the extremes of weather in AZ all happen in one place, and it's a gradient depending on where you live.

Though if you could have Flagstaff summers and Phoenix winters, you'd basically have a tropical climate with no humidity, earthquakes or hurricanes. 

Cerelum

« Reply #28955 on: June 06, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
Bought some 7 dollar silicone and slathered that shit on generously.  We shall see if it works.

Synthesis

« Reply #28956 on: June 06, 2019, 08:16:49 PM »
They have torrential rain storms in the summer and ice in the winter.  In Arizona.  How and in what way is that a good thing?

Arizona "torrential" is like...a regular-ass thunderstorm anywhere else in the United States.

Bebop

« Reply #28957 on: June 06, 2019, 08:26:59 PM »
I have three less teeth.  Oooow.  The doctor said take four ibuprofen when I get home.  WOULD THAT I COULD SWALLOW.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28958 on: June 07, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »
Mandatory overtime and kids' baseball have combined to ruin my life. 60+ hour work weeks and 3-4 hours a day at the ballpark are catching up to me. I have never been so tired.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuungh.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

MeTekillot

« Reply #28959 on: June 07, 2019, 11:00:40 PM »
My therapist isn't practicing anymore.
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

Cerelum

« Reply #28960 on: June 07, 2019, 11:50:27 PM »
My therapist isn't practicing anymore.

Did you overwhelm her?

MeTekillot

« Reply #28961 on: June 07, 2019, 11:56:28 PM »
I've done nothing wrong, ever, in my entire life.
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #28962 on: June 08, 2019, 01:07:26 AM »
A close friend's brother is becoming verbally abusive, lies to their mother, and raised his hand, as if to hit her, in an argument they had today.

Considering their father (divorced from the mother) had a temper and pension for abusing their dog, I fear the son may be taking after him.

Not quite sure what I can do, to straighten the guy out, short of directly intervening and beating his ass (which would harm my relationship with my friend and her family, undoubtedly).
Quote from: LauraMars
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Synthesis

« Reply #28963 on: June 08, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
A close friend's brother is becoming verbally abusive, lies to their mother, and raised his hand, as if to hit her, in an argument they had today.

Considering their father (divorced from the mother) had a temper and pension for abusing their dog, I fear the son may be taking after him.

Not quite sure what I can do, to straighten the guy out, short of directly intervening and beating his ass (which would harm my relationship with my friend and her family, undoubtedly).

Next time it happens, call the cops or tell mom to call the cops.

What you're describing is what we like to refer to as a "crime."

MeTekillot

« Reply #28964 on: June 08, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »
Don't need to escalate to violence immediately, or to calling the cops. If you got the stomach for it, make it known in front of other people how objectionable you find the behavior. Probably won't work if they're desensitized to his behavior, which from the sounds they are. A more lowkey campaign of dropped hints and horrified looks to chip away at them accepting his actions would probably work better.

EDIT: And calling the cops usually doesn't fix domestic violence situations. Let me tell you.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28965 on: June 08, 2019, 02:27:24 PM »
Some people need a beating.

That said, uuuugh. We got knocked out of the little league tournament last night. It was bitter but it all turned out for the best because after we went home with heads high, some of these other morons, adults mind you, pitched such a fit about A LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL GAME that cops got called, kids were crying, threats were made and trespassing charges were filed. Children. Baseball. Cops. What the hell?

Sometimes I feel like I am a little too redneck for comfort, but then stuff like this happens and I remember that nah, I am normal as fuck.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Synthesis

« Reply #28966 on: June 08, 2019, 02:35:59 PM »
Calling the cops doesn't fix the problem immediately, but it's a better first step than getting yourself caught up on an aggravated assault/child abuse/endangerment charge because you self-righteously beat the shit out of some teenager.

Because here's the thing:  even if you absolutely know the law for justified use of physical force, and you absolutely know all the facts and circumstances surrounding the event correspond exactly to a justified use of physical force...if the police get called because someone reported YOUR use of force, THEY don't know all those facts and circumstances, and it is highly doubtful that a) everyone will tell them the truth or b) they'll believe YOU even if you are telling the truth.

Now, if you were indeed justified, it should play out just fine in court, where the evidentiary standard is beyond a reasonable doubt.  However, the police base arrest decisions on the much lower standard of probable cause.  Which means if the police on scene think you probably beat that kid up for no reason, your ass is going to jail.

This could be problematic because there is no Constitutional standard for what "fair and reasonable" is for your initial court appearance.  There are some jurisdictions in rural Texas where you could sit in jail for a damn week before you see a judge to set your bond.  Now...even if you're ENTIRELY justified...do you want to roll the dice on a week of your freedom just to teach some stupid kid a lesson?

The answer should be NOOOOOOOO.  That's why you call the police when the kid is acting up.  Let them handle it.  That's what they get paid to do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:10:59 PM by Synthesis »

MeTekillot

« Reply #28967 on: June 08, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »
Is it a teenager? I thought we were talking about a manchild.

Bebop

« Reply #28968 on: June 08, 2019, 03:24:21 PM »
Some people need a beating.

That said, uuuugh. We got knocked out of the little league tournament last night. It was bitter but it all turned out for the best because after we went home with heads high, some of these other morons, adults mind you, pitched such a fit about A LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL GAME that cops got called, kids were crying, threats were made and trespassing charges were filed. Children. Baseball. Cops. What the hell?

Sometimes I feel like I am a little too redneck for comfort, but then stuff like this happens and I remember that nah, I am normal as fuck.

Synthesis

« Reply #28969 on: June 08, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »
Is it a teenager? I thought we were talking about a manchild.

Does it reeeally matter?  Even if it's an adult, or a teenager older than wherever the statute draws the line for agg assault vs. regular assault or child abuse vs. regular assault...I mean...come on, man.  The way you deal with people breaking the law, in a civilized society, is by calling the police.

Except in the EXTREME circumstance where your immediate action can prevent death or serious injury.

MeTekillot

« Reply #28970 on: June 08, 2019, 04:35:41 PM »
Eh.

Cerelum

« Reply #28971 on: June 08, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
So as I pulled up to my house and saw a dog walking and then laying down in the middle of the street.

I roll further up and call to it after I park on the street, it then approaches and is super friendly, lets me rub her belly, she's a fat german sheperd type dog.

I figure, hey I gotta fenced in yard.  I can put her back there, get her some food and water and make some posts on facebook, nextdoor and all that shit.

She jumps up in the back of my car and I drive her home half a block away.

Upon getting into the driveway, I open up the door and she's turned from a sweet fat old lady into a snarling drooling beast that isn't attacking me, but is making it very clear that she doesn't wanna be fucked with.

I try to coax her out with food, she says fuck you and eats my food then continues snarling.

I try for a good 15 minutes to no avail.  I am loathe to call the cops, because the cops in my city just got some bad press for shooting a fawn deer in someone's backyard.  That's the last thing I need on my conscious is the cops shooting a big fat dog in my car.

Call the animal warden, she tells me 45 minutes till she arrives.

Luckily a woman is walking past and goes, hey is that my dog, to which I reply, I hope so.

Luckily it was her dog Kera.  And she went and got her boyfriend/husband and a leash to get her outta the backseat of my car.

So idle complaint, but happy ending.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #28972 on: June 10, 2019, 03:42:20 AM »
For sake of anonymity; John is the brother, Jane is the sister.

Story is; Wednesday morning, their dog got sick and ended up vomiting/peeing/shitting all over the place. His sister (my friend), Jane, just had surgery so she's been on bed-rest with minimum physical activity for the better part of the week. Since John is the only one at home, during the day, while their mother works, he basically has to do chores (The guy is over 20, unemployed, not in school, and not actively seeking work) and complains all the while. Knowing he was the one who'd have to clean up after the animal, he started cussing and yelling at the animal. Jane told me that John was saying the dog had did it out of spite (what?) and he carried on. Well, the dog is basically a rescue that they acquired from their step-father (divorced now and not allowed to see them), who regularly kicked/abused the animal and was verbally abusive to them and their mother.

Fearing that John would hit the animal, in anger, Jane interjected herself between the two and slapped his shoulder/arm to distract him from the dog. John turned on her and began cussing her out, insulting her, etc. During his tangent, Jane told me that he raised his hand, as if to strike her, and she immediately left the confrontation, fearful of him.

When confronted by the events, later that same day, he lied and twisted the truth, to his Mother, portraying himself as the victim.

Jane tells me, he's always had these outbursts but they've never gotten to the point to where she thought he would hit her. She's also afraid of him, when he's like this. I'm pretty sure the Mother certainly wouldn't call the cops on her son, though she did end up yelling at him.

From my interactions with him, he seems like a decent guy. I'm somewhat close with the family, but closer with Jane. But, when you care about someone, you tend to extend that care to their immediate family. I think the guy definitely needs to figure out his anger issues, which may be stemming from depression (lack of motivation to work and/or go to school are clear signs of such), but I'm not entirely sure how I would even begin to approach this mother on how to raise her kids. She works most of the day to support 3 kids, on her own, so I couldn't begin to imagine the burden she's handling, on her own.
Quote from: LauraMars
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28973 on: June 10, 2019, 05:36:23 AM »
That dude definitely needs help, not an ass beating. He needs the people who care for him to help him get a diagnosis and start taking steps to better himself. If he repeatedly shows he isn't willing to get help, then you distance yourself from him(kick him out), if he can't be distanced, then call the cops. At no point should you be trying to "set him straight" with violence, or threat of it. And the people around him should definitely step in now, before things get worse.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:38:01 AM by RogueGunslinger »

Riev

« Reply #28974 on: June 10, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »
I think part of it is in recognizing what he's doing.

I was having a bad day, and my niece could tell. So she kept poking, and prodding, and purposefully bothering me thinking it would put me in a better mood. Then she 'playfully' slapped a plate of food on my lap which made me lose some food, so I grabbed her wrist and said 'Enough" in a not so nice tone. I felt justified, but later on I realized that I was a terrible douchebag and could have done a hundred things before resorting to that.

Even today, like 6 years later, I worry about my tone of voice and physical demeanor because I don't want to come off as the angry physical guy.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.