Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 1134455 times)

boog

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #28625 on: June 27, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
I've never bought a house before, so maybe I'm overreacting.

However, I put in an offer on a house on June 15th.

They had another showing a couple days later, but they still have not responded to my offer.

This is making me excessively fucking grumpy.

They took someone else's offer after not getting back to us for almost 2 weeks, and asking us YESTERDAY what our final offer would be. They didn't even consider our offer and handed it to the other people. Our offer was -listing price-, too.

So. Cool. Fuck people. I hope that fat real estate cunt chokes on a fucking super gonorrhea infested cock.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28626 on: June 27, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
That's not just shitty, that's weird.  A seller should be ecstatic to have multiple interested parties and would pit them against each-other in a bidding war.  Are you sure your agent is on the ball?  Like, calling the seller agent every day to get an answer?

On a related complaint, I'm trying to buy a car for the first time in over a decade.  Signed up for a website just to check on aggregate pricing and suddenly all the dealers in the area are calling me.  Their offers are, predictably, very similar and I have little information for deciding who to reply to.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28627 on: June 27, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
Carvana.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #28628 on: June 27, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
On a related complaint, I'm trying to buy a car for the first time in over a decade.  Signed up for a website just to check on aggregate pricing and suddenly all the dealers in the area are calling me.  Their offers are, predictably, very similar and I have little information for deciding who to reply to.

If you're buying used: search cargurus.com for what you want, find a few at good prices from actual dealers*, and start making the rounds. When you're starting at 85% percentile pricing, don't expect them to offer much below the listed price...but if you've got a list of alternatives you don't have to feel any pressure to buy.

* If your area's at all like the Atlanta 'burbs, there will be a bunch of scrappy car yards fixing wrecked cars and selling them. This may actually be a source of great deals, but as a non-car-person I feel more comfortable buying lightly-used cars from a place with a service department. To each his own.

Also there's the whole carvana thing. My impression is that their prices aren't amazing but it seems like a comfortable, low-risk experience.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28629 on: June 27, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
I have too many kids, bills, and responsibilities to quit my job and take up a drug habit. Sigh.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

boog

« Reply #28630 on: June 27, 2018, 04:44:28 PM »
That's not just shitty, that's weird.  A seller should be ecstatic to have multiple interested parties and would pit them against each-other in a bidding war.  Are you sure your agent is on the ball?  Like, calling the seller agent every day to get an answer?

Yeah. The agent is a close friend and also works for the man. I don't think he would purposefully steer us wrong and not do what he was supposed to. I texted him hastily last night after seeing the house listed for due diligence and he immediately responded because he said she was going to wait for our offer. He texted her on the spot and responded this morning that he was blowing up her lines of communication until she finally said they accepted the other people over us.

It's whatever now, I guess. He said he knows of 12 acres we could probably get pretty cheaply. I just think it's ridiculous, the amount of inconsideration that goes into real estate.

Also, apparently, they paid cash. But it was at tax property value for the land only. Heh. Which is about 30k less than what we would've paid. Whatever.

I think it might've had something to do with the melanin content of our friend's skin, too. Apparently, the man and the agent received some gawky, mouth wide open looks when they were viewing the house.

I have no experience buying used. Have you looked into a lease? I mean, if you want it. Our Subaru is really pretty cheap for its monthly payment and I like having a gas efficient and super safe car.

Good luck, Moeski.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28631 on: June 29, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »
For all the hemming and hawing about how much I don't like car shopping or car salesmen, I think deep down I'm still mostly just sad at the thought of giving up my trusty steed of over a decade.

This is not my first car.  My first car was a Volvo 780 that my grandfather bought and was eventually passed down to me.  That car took me to my first job and go me through college.  Ultimately it started breaking down a few times and I needed something more reliable so it passed to my sister.  She didn't treat it right, and eventually my family sold it to a collector who, I'm told, did a pretty good job of restoring it (it's actually a rather rare model of Volvo), which made me feel better about its fate.

This is, however, the first car that was mine, that I chose and I bought new.  It's been from New York to Miami.  I've moved apartments 3 times in it without a rental, including once across state lines.  I've put 114,000 miles on it.  That's enough to go around planet Earth more than 4 times.

I know its time to move on.  It's the logical thing to do.  I could gamble $8000 into it and maybe last another 100,000 miles, but I know it could also cost much much more.  I know it's better to part now than wait for failures to get truly uncomfortable, inconvenient, or dangerous.  I know I'll be perfectly happy in a new car, that I'll enjoy all the modern new features, and that I really do need the extra cargo room.  I know it's just metal, glass, and plastic.

Still...  :'(

boog

« Reply #28632 on: June 29, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »
It is a-okay to feel that way, Moe. There's sentimentality and a sense of ownership with it. I get it! I was bummed when some fucker t-boned my shitty little Focus. But like you, it was mine, it was the first car I'd bought.

I hope you find something that suits your needs and tastes and that you absolutely love as a replacement.
There is only one boog.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28633 on: June 29, 2018, 06:16:11 PM »
If there's anything a man can be openly sentimental about I think it would be his vehicle.   ;D

Anyway, the deed is done.  I kept my key (and turned over the car with the spare) as a memento.  It was hard to see the dealer tech drive off with my car, though.

But now I have a shiny new car to play with, full of over a decade's worth of technological advancements and extra room to hold all my armor and camping stuff.  I'm quite sure by this time next week I won't miss the old car so keenly.

Bebop

« Reply #28634 on: July 03, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »
When you just wanna relax on your day off in celebration of your pathetic, morally bankrupt country's indepence but you have to paint and move boxes instead.   :'(  Maybe I'll pop that bottle of blueberry wine from my Texas homeland to reward myself.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28635 on: July 04, 2018, 12:12:04 AM »
I have to work tomorrow but get a 3 day weekend out of it. This is alright I guess.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Riev

« Reply #28636 on: July 05, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »
It took months to get the IT Director's permission to install Python on a business-office-only server. When they discovered I needed Power User status to install, instead of just installing it themselves, they gave me Power User.

Then I found out that per system policies, installs aren't even allowed.

Its going to take another month, and by the end of it, I'm just going to end up being some adjunct IT Professional.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Bebop

« Reply #28637 on: July 07, 2018, 12:22:32 PM »
Moving sucks.

Being sick and moving sucks worse

Why?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28638 on: July 08, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
Writing internally consistent time-travel is so fucking tedious. Especially if you're trying to avoid the common tropes and narrative beats most time travel stories have.

MeTekillot

« Reply #28639 on: July 09, 2018, 05:21:19 AM »
Tropes aren't bad, cliches are.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28640 on: July 09, 2018, 07:25:04 AM »
Yeah I'm not avoiding the common tropes and narrative beats because they're bad. I've just got something better in mind.

Hauwke

« Reply #28641 on: July 09, 2018, 08:18:44 AM »
Its cold and my knee hurts. Why do I feel so goddamn old when I am far from it?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28642 on: July 15, 2018, 09:51:11 PM »
That frustrating feeling when you need a distraction but you can't settle on a game to play or a movie/show to watch or a book to read.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28643 on: July 16, 2018, 03:48:49 AM »
When i get that feeling a basically do a mental coinflip and just start watching playing or reading the very first thing that comes to mind.

If after forcing it a bit im still not feeling it i will move to the next thing. Basically i try to waste as little time possible in choosing my entertainment because i know ill waste so much time bouncing between ideas that i miss the chance to experience any of it.

Bebop

« Reply #28644 on: July 17, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »
So...tired.  my eyeballs hurt.  It's my own fault but still.  Only three hours till I can crash.  Damn you Crackaggedon.  Tek grant me strength to get through payroll with a modicum accuracy.

Akaramu

« Reply #28645 on: July 17, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »
That frustrating feeling when you need a distraction but you can't settle on a game to play or a movie/show to watch or a book to read.

I know that feeling! Most of the time I end up watching some Let's Play and falling asleep to it.

So...tired.  my eyeballs hurt.  It's my own fault but still.  Only three hours till I can crash.  Damn you Crackaggedon.  Tek grant me strength to get through payroll with a modicum accuracy.

I'm not Tek, but here's a handful of strength. You can do it!  8)

Armageddon Lover

« Reply #28646 on: July 17, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »
I sick.
You feel euphoric, and a numbness creeps across your body.

Bebop

« Reply #28647 on: July 17, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
You know what I'm gonna go for broke and complain twice. 

When my dad was dying and I got my tax return I was like.  Book yourself a vacation.  Treat yourself. Give yourself something to look forward to in all the despair.  Future you will thank you.

Now I'm a week out from a week and a half on the west coast.  I booked an air bnb near to my sister in law who bailed from Portland shortly thereafter because she had a messy break up with her girlfriend and moved back to the Midwest.  So I probably wouldn't have booked the location and especially not as long.  Whatever.  Never been.  It'll be fun but had I know I would have probably kept the whole trip in Vegas instead of half of it and having to fly like three times or whatever it is.

I''m helping to run two retail businesses - one of which I co-own,  just moved house, work as an accountant, neglecting my YouTube channel and now have to fly across the country to try to force myself to have fun three months after my dad passed away.

Future me does not appreciate past mes attempt to cheer myself up.  Future me wishes past me could pump the brakes and let me be instead of dragging me from one obligation to the next. The only good impulse I made was tickets to Ghost. Sigh.  Present me wants to veg and isolate.

Feel douchey for complaining about vacation and it'll probably be good for me but currently I'm having to drag myself along and balance all of the work to prep for going.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #28648 on: July 17, 2018, 06:47:31 PM »
There are zero suitable karmas for picking on a small, bulbous-leaved account.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

Bebop

« Reply #28649 on: July 17, 2018, 07:34:46 PM »

I know that feeling! Most of the time I end up watching some Let's Play and falling asleep to it.

I'm not Tek, but here's a handful of strength. You can do it!  8)

Close enough.  You're the sexy version of Tek.  I'll take it.