Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 1135460 times)

MeTekillot

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #28525 on: March 25, 2018, 12:21:10 AM »
My tinnitus meltdown a couple years ago obviously pre-empted it but my hearing loss is getting worse, because I use loud music to self-soothe and mitigate possible meltdowns. Bad combo.

Beginning to have difficulty parsing everything people say in TV shows, for example.

I also have bad eyesight genetics! Hope nanotechnology and shit advances enough for me to shrug off my incoming sensory disabilities :V
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:23:21 AM by MeTekillot »

Melkor

« Reply #28526 on: March 25, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
I remember hearing an anecdote about a study on epigenetics in mice, where the parent generation was exposed to a citrus smell, before having the floor electrically charged to zap them.

In the offspring, they were terrified of the same citrus smell.

Pretty cool stuff.

Im in the same boat, Met. Turns out, shooting guns without ear protection is bad. Who knew.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

tiptoe

« Reply #28527 on: March 25, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
One really common misconception is that we experience evolution. Evolution is at the population level, and is generations after generations after generations.

Epigenetics is still a relatively new field, but methylation/acetylation/etc can be passed genetically, like Melkor mentioned. There are also modifications that happen real time, and are directly related to mRNA expression, and thus protein production (or on the flip side, inactivation of genes and decrease of protein production).

I imagine epigenetics contribute to evolution, as they're modifications that are heritable (though not all of them are). I don't see why it wouldn't, though some epigenetics modifications are temporary. The problem with studying it in terms of how it contributes, is that you have to use very particular methods of DNA extraction, focusing on what modifications you want to see expressed. Methylation, for example, is an epigenetic modification that typically deactivates the region (or gene) of DNA that is methylated. And sometimes that methylation changes how that region of DNA folds to make the particular region less accessible to transcription factors (and thus protein production). The methods to unfold and access that region takes a lot of work, and also a lot of chopping up the other regions of DNA. So if you have one gene you want to look at, and how methylation alters that particular region...you might be able to find that. But it's still new. And you have to know what to look for. Aaaand it doesn't always work that great.

I'm sure someone is trying to study it. Epigenetics are pretty awesome!

Yam

« Reply #28528 on: March 25, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »
<insert dutch famine joke>

Hauwke

« Reply #28529 on: March 30, 2018, 05:29:22 PM »
My string of unfortunate accidents continues!

I went over to mums house to help her clean, we get to my brothers room, and I step on his bed to clean the roof, when I stepped back down, my ankle decided 'Nah, not today' and gave way, managing to either severely twist itself or break, we arent sure yet.

Going to the hospital to find out shortly.

Edit: Verdict is in, its just been sprained super badly and is swollen to a fabulous degree. Thats a relief.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:48:45 PM by Hauwke »

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28530 on: March 30, 2018, 10:34:28 PM »
Fuck computers and their stupid fucking problems that literally never end.

MeTekillot

« Reply #28531 on: March 30, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »
Despite being a tech nerd I exert a preternatural EMP field that causes all electronics I use to malfunction and break. I also drop them a lot so that might be it, too.

Feco

« Reply #28532 on: April 03, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »
Today, I choked so hard on a gulp of cola that I passed out.  Or something.  Either way, it wasn't pleasant.

I don't recommend drowning, if it's anything like that.  Still feel like I've been hit by a truck, and that was hours ago.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28533 on: April 03, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »
Ooh ooh I know this one.

What sometimes happens when swallowing is the liquid gets momentarily trapped in your throat, as your esophagus hasn't opened up at your stomach yet.  In the case of a carbonated beverage, the volume continues to expand and it stretches the walls of your esophagus painfully.  It can also cause a spasm which may make it even worse, keeping your throat from opening up and releasing the soda and stretching more.

As for passing out?  Haven't heard of that, but it could just be the pain or maybe it could be expansion pressing on your neck arteries.  An actual medical person would have to weigh in on the likelihood of that, though.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #28534 on: April 06, 2018, 09:07:42 PM »
It bugs the shit out of me whenever someone says "don't state your opinion as fact" or some similar bullshit. Some people may not understand what a fact is but that is separate. What they are really trying to say is they disagree with the opinion or they disagree with the confidence the person has in their opinion. But they don't get to dictate the degree to which someone believes something and that upsets them.

Because of the snarky way people are trying to diminish your opinions people have to now carefully word everything they say otherwise a slew of opinionazis come out of the woodwork to condemn them for stating their opinion with confidence.

I think I believe Vanilla ice cream is the best flavor (for me) in my honest and unbiased opinion.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:11:19 PM by RogueGunslinger »

Hauwke

« Reply #28535 on: April 07, 2018, 02:17:42 AM »
Ive given up at this point on trying to be perfectly PC. I might be an asshole, but hey guess what? I am a happy asshole who actually gets to have a decent conversation with my other asshole friends who also dont care about it that much, except when we are representing something that is not ourself.

Melkor

« Reply #28536 on: April 07, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »
Clocked out of work 8 hours ago. Clocking back in in an hour.

I love the overtime but... Ugh. I'm tired.

MeTekillot

« Reply #28537 on: April 07, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
You love the pay from overtime. Seize the means.

Grapes

« Reply #28538 on: April 07, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
It bugs the shit out of me whenever someone says "don't state your opinion as fact" or some similar bullshit. Some people may not understand what a fact is but that is separate. What they are really trying to say is they disagree with the opinion or they disagree with the confidence the person has in their opinion. But they don't get to dictate the degree to which someone believes something and that upsets them.

Because of the snarky way people are trying to diminish your opinions people have to now carefully word everything they say otherwise a slew of opinionazis come out of the woodwork to condemn them for stating their opinion with confidence.

I think I believe Vanilla ice cream is the best flavor (for me) in my honest and unbiased opinion.

Some people actually developed a system for this exact thing a while back, if I understand correctly. It's called "e-prime".
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Melkor

« Reply #28539 on: April 08, 2018, 12:43:36 AM »
You love the pay from overtime. Seize the means.

So, run my own business? Did that in construction for a year. Was regulated to death.

Akaramu

« Reply #28540 on: April 09, 2018, 08:09:41 AM »
Apparently if a stalker is dedicated enough, they can find my author identity with just my first name, the book genre (which contains tens of thousands of titles) and knowing what I look like in real life.  >:(

I now have to delete my author photos from Amazon, Goodreads, and request for them to be removed from every interview I've ever done. Gee golly as if I didn't already have enough other pressing matters to attend to.

Akaramu

« Reply #28541 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:38 AM »
Oh, and do you know how stalkers justify their actions?

'If I'm interested in something and the information is out there, I go take a look' (apparently spending many hours sifting through thousands of Google hits qualifies as taking a look)

and

'Why aren't you happy someone's interested in you?' (as though I was lonely and desperate)

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28542 on: April 09, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
There's been a bug in my code that's been vexing me for like two months.  I've been slowly narrowing down things that aren't the cause, but I always end up pulling out my hair and going to work on some other part of the project for my own sanity's sake.

Today I sit down to try and tackle it again and... I can't reproduce it.  Everything is behaving as it should be.

>:( >:( >:(

MeTekillot

« Reply #28543 on: April 09, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »
Heisenbug.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #28544 on: April 10, 2018, 08:26:40 AM »
Two Fridays ago I fell in an unfinished sidewalk and wacked my leg, I worked all last week and my foot started getting sore starting at my toe.  Now my ankle hurts so bad I can barely walk from favoring my foot.  I layed in bed all weekend and then still went to work on Monday hobbling around.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28545 on: April 11, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »
Baseball is stupid and it is eating my spring.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #28546 on: April 12, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »
When you're broke, surprise expenses are all the more dire.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #28547 on: April 12, 2018, 03:50:33 PM »
Baseball is stupid and it is eating my spring.
I call spring/summer "boring sports season".

I'm glad I became an MMA fan. Good sports all year round.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

James de Monet

« Reply #28548 on: April 13, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »
Man, this headline had potential to go somewhere awesome:

Wizards Guard Suspended

Turns out it was just about a point guard for the Washington Wizards.  Booooring....
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Cind

« Reply #28549 on: April 14, 2018, 05:44:59 AM »
There's been a bug in my code that's been vexing me for like two months.  I've been slowly narrowing down things that aren't the cause, but I always end up pulling out my hair and going to work on some other part of the project for my own sanity's sake.

Today I sit down to try and tackle it again and... I can't reproduce it.  Everything is behaving as it should be.

>:( >:( >:(

Do you make video games, Moe?
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.