Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 915215 times)

Is Friday

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #28300 on: December 07, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
Whoever designed the rear brakes on my vehicle must've done it with the specific intent to make it as difficult as possible to DIY.

Skinny 17mm wrench.

Single-use Torx bolts that you have to reorder from the manufacturer if removed.

10mm bolt with a bracket in the way that requires a deep socket...but there's not enough clearance for the 10mm deep socket I have, so you need a Goldilocks 10mm socket, or you have to remove it with the tiniest of tiny 10mm wrenches, 1/12 of a turn at a time.

And I hope you found an excerpt from a manual online somewhere, because if you started this without finagling with the appropriate menu settings through the nav screen, you'll damage the caliper.

What a joke.
Maybe they wanted you to take it into the dealership?
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Riev

« Reply #28301 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »
Whoever designed the rear brakes on my vehicle must've done it with the specific intent to make it as difficult as possible to DIY.

Skinny 17mm wrench.

Single-use Torx bolts that you have to reorder from the manufacturer if removed.

10mm bolt with a bracket in the way that requires a deep socket...but there's not enough clearance for the 10mm deep socket I have, so you need a Goldilocks 10mm socket, or you have to remove it with the tiniest of tiny 10mm wrenches, 1/12 of a turn at a time.

And I hope you found an excerpt from a manual online somewhere, because if you started this without finagling with the appropriate menu settings through the nav screen, you'll damage the caliper.

What a joke.

My high school friend's Subaru manual's illustrations depicted the steps to remove what I believe was a carburetor.

It was literally a picture of the engine block. And arrow pointing to the right, through the chassis and the frame, and then a picture of the carburetor.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Synthesis

« Reply #28302 on: December 07, 2017, 12:15:23 PM »

Skinny 17mm wrench.

What a joke.
Maybe they wanted you to take it into the dealership?

Yeah, pretty much.  Nothing wrong with the brakes.  I just wanted to black out the calipers, because the entire wheel is blacked out.  I could do it the chintzy way and spray paint the entire assembly while it's still mounted on the rotor, I guess.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Synthesis

« Reply #28303 on: December 07, 2017, 03:55:56 PM »
How hard could it be to drill a few holes in this thin little piece of stainless steel?

Several hours and four drill bits (2 HSS, 2 cobalt) later....Really.  Fucking.  Hard.

So much for the Saturday projects.  ::)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

James de Monet

« Reply #28304 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:47 PM »
So the guy responsible for getting me laid a few years ago...

I forgot what thread I was in.  I thought this was going to be a very different story.  :-\

Sorry man, that blows.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28305 on: December 08, 2017, 11:29:40 AM »
Hah!  Oops, yeah, butchered word order.

Riev

« Reply #28306 on: December 08, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »
Why is everyone so upset about a level 20 DnD Battle Royale? Is this just...  "my bet didn't win" or is it people complaining still that "they would have done it better"?

Pale Horse

« Reply #28307 on: December 08, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
Why is everyone so upset about a level 20 DnD Battle Royale? Is this just...  "my bet didn't win" or is it people complaining still that "they would have done it better"?

Issues people had:

1. Crowd favorite was taken out early in the game through "cheese," i.e. legitimate spell and rules that gives a chance to resist the effect and the player rolled bad.
2. People don't like casters.
3. People don't like that particular caster and have complained about them from the start of the series.
4. The DnD community is not as inclusive as it likes to think it is, and there are always people who will say "your version of fun is wrong because it's not how I think it should be."
5. People knew how powerful that lvl 20 character was and were upset when the only other player at the table who was pointing out that the rest of they didn't stand a chance in the battle royal if they didn't gang up against her was ignored and killed.  Said slain character was also the only other caster that had a chance of taking her out, but he needed everyone to cooperate.

In the end, I chalk it up to "Armchair DnD" at it's finest.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:03:02 PM by Pale Horse »
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Melkor

« Reply #28308 on: December 10, 2017, 01:43:44 AM »
How hard could it be to drill a few holes in this thin little piece of stainless steel?

Several hours and four drill bits (2 HSS, 2 cobalt) later....Really.  Fucking.  Hard.

So much for the Saturday projects.  ::)

Cooling the bits will keep them from losing edge. Also, its easy to re-sharpen your drill bits with a grinder, so long as you temper them in water after, so the heat of grinding doesnt soften the steel.
Also, a lot of people tend to really bear down on their drills and saws when working through material, when it is more important to maintain high RPMs.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #28309 on: December 11, 2017, 03:54:00 AM »
I get to do what I love for a living but the increasingly unclear distinction between my personal and professional identity makes it extremely difficult to feel emotionally secure at basically any point in the process.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Riev

« Reply #28310 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:26 AM »
I get to do what I love for a living but the increasingly unclear distinction between my personal and professional identity makes it extremely difficult to feel emotionally secure at basically any point in the process.

I genuinely believe that when it comes to professional politics, there is very little distinction between both identities, because your professional identity is basically selling yourself as a person, which includes your beliefs and ideas.

My ICAT? I just want to finish this last class and never ever ever take my work home with me again. I'm exhausted every week, stressing out over making sure things are turned in on time, or being unable to engage in social activities because "Sunday is homework day". Not that I HAVE friends, but it'd be nice to try and MAKE some without needing to cancel all the time because I'm too worried about this $1,800 course.

Is Friday

« Reply #28311 on: December 11, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »
Are you turning into Hillary?
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28312 on: December 11, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
Craving a cheeseburger at 2 in the morning.  >:(

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28313 on: December 12, 2017, 04:35:28 PM »
For Christmas my tire blew out on the way in to work. Fortunately I was almost there so i just walked the rest of the way, and then a few of my awesome coworkers put the spare on for me while I worked my shift. They even drove it up to the parking lot for me. I'm not sure this belongs in idle complaints...
do you remember
when you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28314 on: Today at 05:21:42 PM »
Jesus Christ.  I knew my insurance was going to go up, but I didn't think I was in one of the hard-hit demographics.  60% increase in premium over last year, though.

I'm (relatively) healthy and young.  I can't imagine what I'd do if I was old/sick/poor and suddenly I'm down thousands of dollars more in insurance premiums for the next year.

Fuck you, Trump.  Fuck you, Republicans.