Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 915214 times)

Melkor

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #28225 on: October 13, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »
Eat and drink to excess and get some good sleep, bud.
What kind of work were you doing?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hauwke

« Reply #28226 on: October 13, 2017, 04:46:00 AM »
I volunteer at a place that sells office furniture, but the company itself is city wide and covers everything from second hand furniture to art and generally deals with the disabled folk in my city, which for some reason is a rather large percent of the population.

Anyway, we loaded up a truck and shipped halfway across the town a half dozen times today, was hell on my shoulders and knees.

And yup, I ate myself sone of mums homemade Thai green curry, she made it from this curry paste, chicken and something else I cant remember, served over rice it was quite tasty.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:48:07 AM by Hauwke »

Melkor

« Reply #28227 on: October 13, 2017, 04:53:58 AM »
Yeah, loading and unloading trucks all day will do it to you.

Ya had me at "mum's homemade."

Telling my girl to make curry for dinner tomorrow. :D

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28228 on: October 13, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »
Calling characters "toons". GET OFF MY LAWN
do you remember
when you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28229 on: October 13, 2017, 05:17:49 PM »
So, in the past I did 3 projects (2 translations, 1 transcription) for a certain company. I was never paid. No one even asked for my payment info. They don't respond to emails and it's impossible to call them unless you are a client (company who hires them to have something translated).

Now today, months later, they send me a new project marked as SUPER URGENT. What? Are you kidding me?  ???

NO ONE EVER WANTED MY PAYMENT INFO 3 MONTHS AGO

SERIOUSLY WTF

James de Monet

« Reply #28230 on: October 13, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
Agree to it, but tell them you need backpay up front.  Then once they pay, you can decide if you really wanna go through with the new project.  If you are gonna go through with the new one, might be wise to demand half pay for that up front, too.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Hauwke

« Reply #28231 on: October 13, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »
Update on my overworking myself. I appear to have made myself sick, spewing and everything. Very unpleasant running to the toilet at 4am.

Molten Heart

« Reply #28232 on: October 13, 2017, 06:34:57 PM »
So, in the past I did 3 projects (2 translations, 1 transcription) for a certain company. I was never paid. No one even asked for my payment info. They don't respond to emails and it's impossible to call them unless you are a client (company who hires them to have something translated).

Now today, months later, they send me a new project marked as SUPER URGENT. What? Are you kidding me?  ???

NO ONE EVER WANTED MY PAYMENT INFO 3 MONTHS AGO

SERIOUSLY WTF

Send them an invoice?

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28233 on: October 13, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
How do I even send an invoice? I only know how to receive international payments through paypal or bank transfers.

Plus their communication is abysmal. The 'project' was just an attached document without text in the email body, I don't even know what language they want it in, or what the deadline is.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:56:00 PM by Akaramu »

lostinspace

« Reply #28234 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »
How do I even send an invoice? I only know how to receive international payments through paypal or bank transfers.

Plus their communication is abysmal. The 'project' was just an attached document without text in the email body, I don't even know what language they want it in, or what the deadline is.

Translate to Mirukkim, that should be good for a few laughs.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Hauwke

« Reply #28235 on: October 13, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »
If they arent going to put in the slightest bit of effort to communicate with you, it might be an idea to cut loose from working for them.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28236 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
An invoice is literally just a piece of paper that lists products/services rendered and accompanying compensation (money) due.  There's 1000's of Microsoft Word templates out there for them.  Fill it out and email it to your client.

More importantly you should have had a formal contract spelling out what you do for them and what they pay you, along with a bunch of legal boilerplate (common contract clauses).  This should be signed by both parties.  DO NOT DO PROFESSIONAL WORK WITHOUT A CONTRACT.  Even if they seem trustworthy, even if it's not a lot of work, it help build your image and reputation as a professional.

Even if you don't have a formal contract, a written or verbal agreement may still be legally enforceable.  For that you'd definitely need local legal help, though.

In America, you'd do something like this:
1) Send an invoice.
2) Kindly worded request to honor invoice.
2) Politely worded request to honor invoice.
3) Sternly worded request to honor invoice with threat of legal action.
4) Legal action.

We have something called "small claims court" for disputes under like $5000.  You don't need (and often aren't allowed) a lawyer.  You tend to just show up, present your evidence/arguments, and a judge sorts it out.  Like a TV courtroom show.  (Though in those shows they typically let the trial play out for maximum drama rather than fair legal rulings, but then give money to both sides.)

Of course, you need to decide for yourself if all this is even worth your time/effort/stress.  If not, you can just walk away.  At the very least I would, as JDM says, absolutely not agree to do anymore work for them until they pay you for what you've already done.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28237 on: October 14, 2017, 06:58:19 AM »
Now that I think about it, they did send me three form documents (one with each project) that were kind of like an invoice, but they were PDFs and I couldn't fill them out. I mean, what's the point of a form that can't be filled out?  :o

I did tell them I couldn't fill these out, and gave them my Paypal address as well as an offer to provide bank information or anything else they needed. Was met with stony silence.

I was also never contacted and told how anything works. They just started emailing me stuff.

Since time is money, I can't be bothered to waste any more time on them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:01:19 AM by Akaramu »

Melkor

« Reply #28238 on: October 14, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
uh... I'd wager that everything you need is in those emails....

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28239 on: October 14, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
Nope. The contact email of the accountant lady (who never responded) doesn't help when I can't fill out PDFs and no one cares that I can't. Why do you assume I'm an idiot who can't read emails? Like I said, the communication was abysmal.

Anyway, I'm done with this company. Just thinking about them makes me angry. Change of subject!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:26:38 PM by Akaramu »

Synthesis

« Reply #28240 on: October 14, 2017, 04:02:34 PM »
Nope. The contact email of the accountant lady (who never responded) doesn't help when I can't fill out PDFs and no one cares that I can't. Why do you assume I'm an idiot who can't read emails? Like I said, the communication was abysmal.

Anyway, I'm done with this company. Just thinking about them makes me angry. Change of subject!

print the pdf

fill it out manually

scan it

email it back

problem solved

Who, in the modern era, doesn't have a combination printer/scanner?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:08:22 PM by Synthesis »
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Melkor

« Reply #28241 on: October 14, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
No disrespect intended. I never said you were an idiot.

Why could you not print the PDF and fill it out by hand?
(Synth beat me to it)

I would never allow my services to go uncompensated; I do not want yours to be either.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28242 on: October 14, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »
Who, in the modern era, doesn't have a combination printer/scanner?

I don't, because my 'apartment' is less than 20 square meters - I don't even have space for books. I'm not going to buy a printer / scanner just so I can do one 30$ Project per month when I have other options that pay better (and with less hassle). I wouldn't need a printer for anything else.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:21:46 PM by Akaramu »

Hauwke

« Reply #28243 on: October 14, 2017, 05:31:04 PM »
I dont either! But thats because I just use the local library to my stuff like a pleb.

ICAT: My other half decided to explode the microwave this morning.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28244 on: October 14, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »
If you want to head to a library / copyshop and back (about 45 minutes total) for 30$ of profit, be my guest.  :P 30$ is an hour's wage over here, with how high the cost of living is.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:47:24 PM by Akaramu »

Malken

« Reply #28245 on: October 14, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »
I fill up and digitally sign PDFs all the time directly from the PC nowadays. You don't even have to print them out anymore.

(Haven't really followed the conversation, just randomly putting that fact out there)
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #28246 on: October 14, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
Apparently being punched by nazis is an occupational hazard of my new job.

(I did not get punched by a nazi, but someone else did, and a disabled guy's arm was broken.)
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Melkor

« Reply #28247 on: October 14, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »
When/Where was this?

zalanthasNomad

« Reply #28248 on: October 14, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »
Apparently being punched by nazis is an occupational hazard of my new job.

(I did not get punched by a nazi, but someone else did, and a disabled guy's arm was broken.)

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #28249 on: October 15, 2017, 06:54:31 AM »
Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Now that I think about it, there's some sort of irony that someone who enjoys hard-copy books can't be arsed to buy a printer.

I don't know who you're talking about. I read and publish ebooks. Electronic. Take up zero space, require no printing. In the past year I've needed a printer ONCE (for an online form, which could also be sent to me by mail).

All the companies I know to hire international freelancers use paypal or bank transfers. ALL OF THEM. If a single company that can't even be arsed to respond to emails, pick up the phone, or to attach a deadline (and indicate a language) to projects they want translated, insists on doing things the old-fashioned way, I'll work for someone else. Which I've already done.

For the record, the reason I gave up on them is their unprofessional behavior and lack of communication. If things were different, all of this would have been resolved months and months ago. But by all means, if you'd enjoy working for a company that ignores all of your communication attempts, you go right ahead. Have fun.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:05:17 AM by Akaramu »