Foraging

Started by Angela Christine, April 14, 2003, 09:19:23 AM

I know that forage stone and forage rock yeild the same materials (at least in every location I've tried) but do forage mushroom and forage root work the same way?  Sometimes while foraging for roots I've found mushrooms, so it seems like this might be another case where it doesn't matter what word you use.  Anyone know for sure?

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

As far as I know, forage roots and forage mushrooms yield the same results.

why the 2 seperate names then? They're extremely confusing to us newbies.

I don't know.  I don't know why we have both rocks and stones either.  I wouldn't mind seeing both mushrooms and roots taken out, and replaced with a more generic "forage food".  Food is easier to type than mushroom.   :D

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yeah, definitely the same (As already said) I guess it just looks for the same !food or !rock flag. I'd like to see it simplified too, but actually... now I'm used to typing forage root.

stone(s) food artifact(s) as arguments for forage sound good?

Id like to see a staff response if possible...

Ive notcied actually a difference over time in foraging that would seem to yield the same product. Especially in certain areas.

I'm wondering if the whole foraging deal is left intentionally vague. I'm a newbie, so I've never found a mushroom, but are mushrooms basically herbs, as detailed in the general information at the site?

Also, can scavengers forage for food? Seems like they should be able too. Can anyone forage for artifacts?

Is the only way to tell if some item can be found by reading the room description, or will you get the message searches area intently if it can't be found?

Yeah, you can forage for artifacts. I think they're in the help docs.

Only rangers can forage for food.  I think anyone can forage for artifacts, but my impression is that your guild and subclass will affect how well you forage for things, both in how well you do in the beginning and your maxiumum potential.  Scavengers can't forage for food unless they are also rangers, but they are better foragers than most other people.

AC

I've looked for things for a bit when I was a warrior and you just get better with time- Its one of those annoying skills where you have to put in a lot of rp for a lot of typing of the same skill then you get better and start to actually find things- Artifacts can be found;) one time I saw a dwarf searching for some and then I decided to do the same and found some cool things..... Just so you know.

Having both rock and stone seems more of a matter of convience.  They're entirely interchangable.  "This is a stone.  It is made of rock."

Root and mushroom though should produce just roots and just mushrooms respectively though, I'd think.