RPing a mute person

Started by flurry, April 12, 2003, 11:14:27 AM

I was musing possible roleplay concepts - and the idea of playing a mute person came to mind.  (I doubt I actually would do this anytime soon - so by all means use the idea if you want).

On one hand I think it would be a great challenge and force the player to be very expressive with emotes.  And I had thought - well, if you're playing a mute person, how do you tell someone your name?  But then I remembered - the way!  Of course.   Even though you can get around the challenge of being mute somewhat with the Way, I'd imagine it would be very tough on your mind to try to substitute verbal communication with mental communication.

Anyone have experience playing a mute character?  Is it too much of a hurdle to get over?   I think I've seen one (seemingly) blind character a while back - which seems like it would be much much harder.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

*grin*

Actually, mute people are kinda fun to play. It is a challange, but not that big of one. One of the most interesting things that can be done is to speak using sign language. When I played a mute, he relied on simple nods, shakes, and grunts, and the way of course, to get by.

Now I am playing with a fellow who speaks using sign language and other nifty things. My character isn't mute, but one of my co-RPer's character is. And I think he carries the role to perfection.

So yes, it is a challange, but it is pretty fun too.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've RPed with a couple actually. One used things like...

emote makes a hunting sign and smiles
emote gestures to his hungry stomach
emote nods as he makes a smoking spice sign

Now, I would avoid these type of things myself. Instead of 'a hunting sign' explain what your actually doing with your hands. Your hunting sign might be my "I wanna have your kids" sign.

Just some random thoughts.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

A few examples of my co-RPer's rp....

The mute twines his two forefingers and looks at you questioningly.
(means sparring)

The mute grabs his throat and makes a motion as though hold something.
(water, need water, drink water)

The mute grads his throat and makes a motion as though holding something, pinky extended.
(wine, need wine, drink wine)

That is just an example...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

>emote removes ~shoes, his hands reaching for the belt.
>remo shoes
>emote someone removes ~belt grinning at ~<bla>
>remo belt
>emote starts untying the knot on the waist of ~pants...

So... What does he want? Answer quick! He's going on... (my current char's female.)

Emote chuckles as he dodges a few rotten eggs thrown at him for this bad joke.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

To role-play a Mute:

First thing you do, while in the hall of kings is this

>alias say You're mute, you can't speak!
>alias shout You're mute, you can't speak!
>alias talk You're mute, you can't speak!
>alias whisper You're mute, you can't speak!

Next...  Get a best friend, and start inventing a hand-signal language amoungst yourselves.

And have fun!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yay, I get to mention Bamu again. When I was a newbie, there way this mute Bynner named Bamu. Bamu was wonderful. Yes, he emoted. Yes he wayed, and yes he got frustrated when he couldn't communicate.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I played a mute on another MUD. They had communication like the way except using a magical amulet. My character has an extreme dislike to magical things. I didn't use it. The main problem I have, which I don't think would be as big of a problem on Armageddon, was communicating with NPCs for quests. To get accepted into guilds and all that. Since alot of that is already tooking out it'd be alot easier.

It can be REALLY frustrating at times, but it's pretty fun. Specially when you twist your characters terms of thinking around. My character had no idea of letters, or really even words. Just the meaning that the sound normally conveys. He was illiterate, but somewhat artistic and he'd draw things from time to time to help get his meaning acrossed. It was over all great fun. I'd recommend it. Specially if you shy away from using the way. Not getting dependant on it or anything. Even then if I was playing a mute on Armageddon I'd probably not use words with the way. I'd leave communication up to interpetation, which I beleive is one of the fun things of playing a mute is knowing people aren't going to always know what your "talking about" 100% of the time.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

:P Playing a mute can be an extremely challenging (and frustrating!) experience, but it can be a rewarding role if you stick with it. Creating your own sign language can be a fun experience as well, and useful for many things. The Way -is- a method of communicating, but it is a troublesome, unreliable, and occasionally dangerous mistress. It can sometimes be difficult to express yourself via handsigns, but keep in mind, if somebody misunderstands your signals, it can lead to some interesting RP as well ;P  :twisted:

Gawynn

P.S. S'up VeNoMz ;P
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth

All I'd like to point out to people is the 'scribble' command...very useful for creating little sketches in the sand.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.