Bah...

Started by Cerelum, November 28, 2007, 01:59:33 AM

I feel like I should have won an oscar for my last performance..and I'm depressed now when I look at creating another character..  Nobody is ever watching...

BAH!

Dude, you kind of complain a lot.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Oh, we're watching you all right.

Don't you worry about that.
Goryteller

Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Eukelade on November 28, 2007, 02:11:12 AM

Wait..is this a good thing or a bad thing.. I don't like the way you typed that..

WTF am I doing wrong if it is...

and if not.. How bout some love?!?

Quote from: Cerelum on November 28, 2007, 02:17:41 AM
Quote from: Eukelade on November 28, 2007, 02:11:12 AM

Wait..is this a good thing or a bad thing.. I don't like the way you typed that..

WTF am I doing wrong if it is...

and if not.. How bout some love?!?

It'll hit you eventually.

The truth is, EVERYONE is watching you, since you put so much IC info in your posts about whatever character is your current, that everyone knows. It would be good if you'd just...stop...posting about your characters.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Big Brother is always watching.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Seriously though.. With all the emoting, feeling, thinking, scheming, playing folks against folks, ect ect that I was doing like a maniac on that last guy.. If that's not good enough in people eyes.. I'm just not cut out for this game.. I seriously put a shit ton of effort and thought into that guy.  It was starting to become more like a job then a game, but I kept going cause of what I started..to the very end.

I'm getting discouraged...

Most of us do it because it's fun, not for the kudos or the karma. If you aren't having fun doing something, then don't.

If you don't like a character, you can change the direction they're going. Everything is up to you. Just play for yourself.

Quote from: Cerelum on November 28, 2007, 02:32:28 AM
Seriously though.. With all the emoting, feeling, thinking, scheming, playing folks against folks, ect ect that I was doing like a maniac on that last guy.. If that's not good enough in people eyes.. I'm just not cut out for this game.. I seriously put a shit ton of effort and thought into that guy.  It was starting to become more like a job then a game, but I kept going cause of what I started..to the very end.

1. What are you talking about?

Quote from: FuSoYa on November 28, 2007, 02:05:50 AM
Dude, you kind of complain a lot.

Brandon
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Maybe you should try having a character survive more than 2 weeks. Seriously.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

QQ

That's all I have to say.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Succinctly: stop posting so much information about your PCs, play them for fun's sake, and don't get riled up when there are IC consequences for IC actions.

That's pretty much it.

Quote from: Only He Stands There on November 28, 2007, 03:32:25 AM
Succinctly: stop posting so much information about your PCs, play them for fun's sake, and don't get riled up when there are IC consequences for IC actions.

That's pretty much it.

And, quit yer bitchin'.

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you discouraged because you lost a character or something?  Or because you haven't gotten karma yet?  Neither of those are signs of not being good enough.  I'm sure even the 10-year veteran players sometimes are unable to keep a character alive for a week, and as far as I know just about every player takes a year to get their first karma.

November 28, 2007, 08:47:12 AM #15 Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:06:02 AM by manonfire
Uh, guys.. Cerelum = Jarod550. Stop acting all surprised that he's acting retarded.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php?topic=15065.0

You post way to much IC information on the GDB about your character.

And trust me the best way to have a character noticed (I think) are clans and relationships.

Characters will die.  Even if your character died IG it doesn't mean people don't like you OOC, people killed you for an IC reason.

While I completely agree about not posting IC information and that certain posts do not have a place on the GDB... Guys, C'mon. Start at the top of this thread again and read the reply posts, and think what you would think if you were one of the noobs coming in, trying to learn.

Woosfraba.  :)

(if I spelled it right, who knows, but for those of you going wtf is that word, watch anger management)

Bebop is correct.  We must not take it personally when the world around us reacts to our actions and kills us.

You can have the most wonderfully portrayed character in the world, but if you do something retarded (even if it's in character), you're probably going to die.
Goryteller

Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Cerelum:

It seriously sounds to me like you need to consider your goals and what you're getting out of this game.  Your posts imply show a great deal of frustration, so I'd say that something isn't working out for you.

You don't seem to like it very much when things go wrong, when your character fails at something or is  beaten, and you seem to think that's unfair.  In that regard I'd caution you by saying that we all have shitty things happen to us in game, on a fairly regular basis.  Even the most badass character in the game is going to have things work against them now and the.  The game isn't, and can't be, about winning.  It's like life, you can have fun for a while, but sooner or later something bad will happen, and in the end you'll probably wind up dead.

Judging from what I know you've played, and here I'll just repeat what everyone else said, be careful about telegraphing that.  I'd strongly advise you join up with a clan, sign on to something like the Byn and play close attention to how the other players involved behave.  Take their example, be careful, and keep the character alive for a while.

The reason you don't want everyone to know who you play is, in my opinion, because it makes it harder not to metagame, and easier to suspend disbelief when you're not sure who's on the other end of any particular character.  I want to judge the character, not the player, and while I do that anyway... it's harder when you know who it is.

What it comes down to man, is sit back and think about what you want out of this game, and then seriously consider how you're going to get that.  Form a plan of attack.  And try to make the goal realistic, it'll take some play to figure out what is and isn't realistic, but do your best.

Hope that helps with the frustration a little bit.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Want do you want? A hug?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

November 28, 2007, 02:34:12 PM #21 Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 02:37:35 PM by Malken
Edited, because, after thinking it through for 1 second, I don't want to be part of this thread.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 28, 2007, 08:36:32 AMI'm not sure I understand.  Are you discouraged because you lost a character or something?  Or because you haven't gotten karma yet?  Neither of those are signs of not being good enough.  I'm sure even the 10-year veteran players sometimes are unable to keep a character alive for a week, and as far as I know just about every player takes a year to get their first karma.

No.. I've got one karma...  I'm not bitching about getting none... I'm actually not bitching about it at all.  If they choose not to trust me with more, then fine, whatever I can't change that.

What I hate is playing the cookie cutter clan jobs.  In one of my very old players I was a Salarri who lived for quite some time.  I just got so sick of the same bullshit day in and day out.  Sparring, Hunting, Skinning, Delivering shit to our merchants, rinsing and repeating.

I'm trying to find shit to do that will always allow me a bit of flexability and freedom when I play.  Where I'm not bogged down in clans, or held back by the whims of other people (byn sergeants for example).

Could I just play the simplistic clan soldier or bynner, sure I could.  But I cold also do math problems and call it fun, but it doesn't make it so.

I think you're missing what I'm saying, or at least some of you are.  I don't give two shits my character died.  I probably could have stopped it had I really wanted to.  But what I care about is if I'm fucking giving all my efforts to roleplay these bastards realistically, ignoring code loopholes I found which would have allowed him to run away and at least prolong his fight for survival...  And playing as my dude till the end of his days, whether it's 5 days, or 20 days played.  Why is that automatically deemed as being a bad player or roleplayer?

Now knowing what's going to come out of some peoples mouths, let me address the next thing.  "They aren't going to give you an important character if you just die in 5 days."  Well, if I had a character that was important, I would strive to keep him alive for longer.  I had a few special apps and they were some of my longest lived characters, unless they got just bad luck and got eaten.  Which has happened.

I respect the work that a staff member puts into helping me, and giving me chances to try stuff etc etc.  So I'm going to make sure that I stick with those characters.  But my regular ones I just throw together with all my own effort and they simply have to read and approve.  I would consider those my own to play, love or hate as I see fit so long as I'm not ooc too much, twinking, or using bugs to advance and it makes sense for my character.

So to the comments of keep a player alive for more then a week, whatever, I made it, I put the effort into it.  And last I checked none of you had a hand in anything they did.

Lets not have these kind of conversations.  To the OP, if you feel you have a problem feel free to email the staff.

This conversation is ended.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Reading over this thread, I find some useful feedback to the OP.
Perhaps others will read those and benefit.

As pointed out by another poster though, there remains enough in this thread to make it standoffish and snarky, if not outright rude.

If you have nothing better to provide to the discussion then basically, "Shutup", or "You're an idiot", don't post.

If you just can't help yourself, then we, as you've requested, can and may moderate you.