Roleplaying Peeves

Started by Is Friday, October 14, 2007, 04:53:01 PM

Apart from the above is when you make an obvious mistake related to code ie Hi Joe
or K Joe (instead of l)
Or you don't sheathe your weapon
or drink joe the barrel headed big giant head
And people try to force you to make it ic.

I mean if you're wielding a five foot pole arm in bed, you'd probably be aware of it. Doesn't it make more sense to ignore it or ooc Hey you iddn't sheathe your weapon than to say, Amos why did you insist on bringing your voulge to bed?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: "Barzalene"Apart from the above is when you make an obvious mistake related to code ie Hi Joe
or K Joe (instead of l)
Or you don't sheathe your weapon
or drink joe the barrel headed big giant head
And people try to force you to make it ic.

I mean if you're wielding a five foot pole arm in bed, you'd probably be aware of it. Doesn't it make more sense to ignore it or ooc Hey you iddn't sheathe your weapon than to say, Amos why did you insist on bringing your voulge to bed?

The proper response is... that's not a voulge under my cloak baby.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Another big one for me, for some reason it makes me cringe.

Random guy in a hood walks up to you and smiles.
They say "Hey, how've you been!? Long time no see!"

l figure

They have two weapons in hand.

Are they trying to threaten me? What is going on?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

By far the thing that pisses me off the most in any roleplaying game is a one-dimensional character.  What I mean by this is the guy (or gal) my character meets who has no depth, no realistic flaws, no background beyond "Oh, I was born in 'nak, my mother was a hamster and my father smelled of elderberries.  I grew up and joined the Byn."  I also mean those characters who seem to do nothing outside their coded guild.  The manly-man warrior who has no interests other than being a manly man warrior.  At LEAST give the poor, dumb bastard a flaw like spice addiction, alcoholism or a penchant for buggering whores!  Yeesh!  And no, I'm not trying to pick only on warriors.  I've met spell casters who seem to have absolutely ZERO personality.  All they do is work on spells and harvest/craft resources for magick.  Gimme a freakin' BREAK!  

I've met ALOT of VERY dull people IRL and not a single one of them was THAT stale and flat!  :evil:

Someone mentioned this and it bothers me too, so I'll jump on the band wagon:  Those who don't think/feel because they fear mindbenders.  Oh, so because there are people who -might- be able to hear/read/feel your thoughts and emotions you somehow have developed the capability of NOT thinking and feeling?  Utterly ridiculous!  I can't get more IC info specific here, but there's another aspect of how people handle benders that pisses me off.  Maybe I'll bitch about it at an APM sometime, or after the first Zalanthas self-destructs.

I will say that continuous spelling/punctuation mistakes do bother me but I try not to get worked up about it.  Although English is the language we use to play Arm, not everyone playing is a native English language speaker/writer.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

People who respond with purely coded actions while you're trying to set up a scene, usually one that involves some risk to their character. One of my cooler PCs was killed essentially because he was about to murder someone, emoting and saying things, and the guy responded with "stand;open door;nneeneeesseessswwwssswwwwwssseee" (while in poor condition, no less).

Contact sdesc-sniffing and online-checking, and the fact that the staff somehow allows it. I just can't see how anyone can consider this ridiculous practice to be acceptable, it boggles the mind.

Really poor english. I accept that some players don't speak english so well, but I still find it very jarring when someone can't speak three words without a typo. Also, for the love of God, please start with an upper-case letter and end with some kind of punctuation.

Poorly played magickers, muls and half-giants. It always reminds me that something is inherently wrong with the resctriction system.

Wow, I'm a hater...

People who are under the notion that using your pc's coded skills (when it is perfectly realistic and IC to do so) is somehow p-gaming and twinkery in and of itself. If you don't want to use coded skills or you don't want people to use them, play a mush.

People who don't allow their characters to show any fear of <insert magick and magickers/templars/half-giants/muls/other nasty beasties here> because they believe their character is "too cool" or "too badass" to be afraid of anything. Or because they don't like to have their pc be deferential to anyone or anything no matter how lifelike and realistic that would be. Alot of these people force others to kill their pc when it could've been avoided had they played out the situation with any realism.

People who refuse to play along with any situation that has them on the "losing end". Such as being held up, tortured, swindled, etc. They just rely on the code and hammering out commands in an effort to "win".
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Vessol"Bringing modern ideas and thoughts to the game world.

BAR IDLING!

You live in a harsh world and you sit FOR DAYS at a freaking bar chit-chatting with everyone.
Social roles need to be EXTREMELY RARE.
It's not Armagossip its Armageddon as in Geddon out of da bar and go do something freaking constructive.

Until the end of time, I will play the drunk, horrible fuck up that does nothing with his life.

If or if not I am this in real life is not important. Fuck everyone that thinks their commoner character is hoidy toidy and better than yours. Yes, I am elitist. Thats why I play Armageddon. Fuck you. Get killed. Die. Kill other people. Don't be afraid. Don't idle in a bar. Quit. Just quit, if you're going to idle in a bar. In real life, quit if you're going to idle in a bar. You're pathetic.

Brought to you by long island ice tea.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

EDIT: Bah, nevermind.
Lunch makes me happy.

I'm really annoyed by players that don't follow appropriate clan (or race, or class) documentation.  Especially when they're in leadership positions...
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

I suck at grammar and punctuation but I try damn hard to make sure that I punctuate and make everything all nice and perfect. My biggest pet peeve is people that don't put in the effort to punctuate or capatalize.

the illiterate half-elf says in allundean: "i dont know what i did today"

2nd biggest pet peeve is people disregarding npc/vnpc presence, I see this most common in tribal RP but I've seen it some in the cities as well.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

* Shitty grammarz

* Metagaming (by staff or players)

* Dwarves not obsessed with their focus

* Elves that trust/are trusted without trials

* Flawless beauties that are not upper echelon

* Spamming crafting, skills, or spells without emotes
Amor Fati

Players who do nothing but gripe.

Players that gripe about players that do nothing but gripe.  :wink:

People that side with an elf when the elf in a tavern when some shit talk starts.. I play elves mostly and I see this happening ALOT. I'd like to see racism be a little more popular.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

guillty   :cry:
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Quote from: "psionic fungus"I'm really annoyed by players that don't follow appropriate clan (or race, or class) documentation.  Especially when they're in leadership positions...

Haha.  :)  This is still funny.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Not using capitalization and punctuation.  Bad grammar and spelling?  That is fine.  Some people have English as a second language or are sdylixec.  Capital letter and period?  That is just lazy, confusing to read, and ugly to look at.  Moving your pinkie finger two centimeters to the left before typing the first letter in a sentence will not make your face fall off.  It is like watching someone not using their fucking turn signal.  I mean Jesus Christ, your hand is practically already there, just push it.  It will consume a split second of thought, a fraction of a calorie, and a split second of your time.

People who ignore the environment irk me a little.  Most of the time, I think they just forget that they are in a nasty, dusty, smelly world.  Other times though, I think they are playing a different game and refuse to realize it.  Walking through a dust storm to get to the Gaj and sitting down at the bar in your silk clothing and slippers is a really bad idea if you value those clothes.

I recall one instance years back when just such a person sat down to my big mean and ugly mercenary.  I emoted shoving a mug of ale off the table and at their lap.  Of course, the perky silk clad, silk slipper wearing noble aid did a ninja move and avoided disaster.  A fight latter broke out and someone emoted tossing food at her, and again, she ninjaed out of it.  If she was a secret noble assassin, awesome, good RP.  On the other hand, if she was Lord Whatever's aid who skills included cooking and listen, it was a little irritating.

Really long emotes that are really a compilation of many smaller emotes.  Doesn't give me much chance to respond to any singular portion of the vast emote there.

Not that there's anything necessarily "wrong" with that, but it does force me to either respond to each individual "smaller" emote (or ignore most of them and focus on the gist of the entire emote).
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

People so goddamn egocentric they think this post is about them.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

1. People who stand immediately and scan after you do an emote while hidden in a crowded bar/tavern/street. Then scan again after they did not see *shadow* on their first attempt.

2. People who stand immediately and guard exits as soon as you do a hidden emote while in a crowded place. EG: bar/tavern/street.

3. People who never take in account VNPCS or NPCS.

Quote from: "mattrious"1. People who stand immediately and scan after you do an emote while hidden in a crowded bar/tavern/street. Then scan again after they did not see *shadow* on their first attempt.

I saw a guy do this in the tavern in Red Storm, and it was hilarious because the "Someone" in that particular emote wasn't a hidden PC, it was just a regular room echo.   :lol:  A room echo apparently designed to make people look silly?  I love our imms.

(It is also possible that there was a sneaky person who came in and did the exact same emote every few days, but I prefer to think it was an echo.)
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Inconsistency in roleplay.

For example : (disclaimer: this is overly dramatic, and if it happens to be true, than it is entirely coincidental)

Day 1:
Everyone rp loving magick.
Day 2:
Magick bashing on the forum.
Day 3:
Everyone rp hating magic
Day 4:
Magick loving on the forum.
Day 5:
Everyone rp loving magic again.
Repeat as necessary.

Very jarring.
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

People who walk into a tavern/clan hall/other crowded area, look at all the PCs in the room, then walk out again without a single emote.

Blatant guild sniffing during clan interviews.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "Fathi"Blatant guild sniffing during clan interviews.

Sorry, but this always makes me think of something a little like this...

Leaning in towards you, sniffing lightly, the tall, hook-nosed templar says in sirihish:
"You smell of...you smell like..."

The tall, hook-nosed templar wrinkles his nose.

Eyes narrowing to slits, glaring at you, the tall, hook-nosed templar shouts, in sirihish:
"...the Guild!"

I hate it when people run away by spamming directions when it's pretty obvious I'm into some roleplay at the moment. :\
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I love everyone and all of their distinct roleplaying styles.

I love people who try.

I hate myself for nitpicking.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~