Author Topic: Going afk?  (Read 2649 times)

Going afk?
« on: October 03, 2002, 07:42:36 PM »
Ok, I know this was touched on in another thread, but what are some things various people do IC to indicate they're going afk? Easy enough to stare at a wall if nothing's going on, but what about when you're talking to someone? Is it acceptable to say it ooc like if you gotta go take a leak or something, or are there acceptable/well known ways to quickly make an IC excuse for why you're just sitting there like a bump on a log? This has really been bugging me, since I go afk about once an hour and I don't wanna annoy the hell outta anyone.

Gorobei

What I do
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 07:46:51 PM »
I'm a fan of the overused "I gotta contact someone, hold on a minute".  If it's longer than a minute or two, Ijust "take a nap" and log off.

Going afk?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 08:20:54 PM »
I like to go out of my way to interact people that use 'gone afk'. or put an annoying little [AFK] tag in their ldesc when going afk.

I think its horrible. If you need to go away from the keyboard do something like day dream or staring off and do an ldesc appropriately. Dont just be like 'gone afk' in the middle of something and expect people not interact with you.

Anyways... yeah
Jenred :x

EvilRoeSlade

Gone afk, d00d.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 09:21:47 PM »
Well, I use gone afk.  Interact with me all you want, just don't expect me to interact with you back :P
Back from a long retirement

Eternal

Going afk?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 09:28:10 AM »
I think it's horribly ooc to "go out of your way to interact" with someone who's just used "gone afk"... that's why the gone command is there after all.  Heck, might as well just go ahead and rob them blind while you're at it, it's abuse either way.

That said, if someone is in the middle of a mugging, and uses gone afk to make you think twice about robbing them blind... well, that's abuse, too.

I tend to use the excuses (bathroom, Way, sleep) first, emote, then gone afk, then remove the gone and drop an emote like blinks a few times or shakes his head as if to clear it when I get back.

Lord Templar Hard Nose will continue to torture you if you drop link, he will most likely wait for you to reconnect before killing you or doing the graphic stuff, consent is good after all, but all the same, life goes on.

Swordsman

My take
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 11:11:08 AM »
Well, kind of looking at this from the other side, it's a bit annoying when people use OOC or 'gone' and ... they're only gone for like 10-20 seconds. To me, if you're going to be gone for such a short time (and it's not like the middle of a battle or anything), it's more distracting to other people to say you're going AFK than if you just go and come back without breaking character. But I know everyone's going to have a different opinion on this ... just my take. If I go AFK for half a minute in a meeting I don't bother telling the other people there. I've never run into problems doing this since most meetings are just with other clan members ... if it was a dangerous meeting I would let people know I was going AFK, just in case someone was planning to start a fight. :)

Swordsman

Bestatte

• Posting Privileges Revoked
Going afk?
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2002, 01:38:25 PM »
Usually if I need to be afk between 20 seconds and 3 minutes I'll whisper to whoever I'm with that I'm afk (using "ooc" to preface it). If I think it'll be longer than 3 minutes, I'll move my character to a remote area, hide, and do what I need to do. If it's longer than 5 minutes I logoff.

Personally I can't stand the OOC command, and avoid it, though I have had to use it a few times. That's mostly to explain to my character's boss that he can't be giving her orders at 10:50 at night because I logoff 10 minutes later...and there just isn't any IC way to explain that sort of thing.

If someone's afk to get the phone, or turn the chicken over in the oven, then go ahead and whisper to me, or use GONE. But please..stuff like that I don't need 3 lines of screen scroll just so you can tell me you're afk.

Cerebus

Going afk?
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2002, 02:11:46 PM »
I think AFK should be handled ICly if possible. People aren't so stupid they wont figure out that you're AFK if you say "Hold on, my mother is in my mind" or something like that. I also agree that you don't need to say you're going to be AFK if it's a quick thing. And if it's going to be more than just a few minutes, you should really consider logging off and coming back.

The thing that gets me the most, though is when you say WHY you are going AFK. I don't care if you are going to the bathroom or the Phone just rang. If you tell me that, you are even more so pulling me out of the little bubble world and reminding me I have bills to pay and a job to go to IRL.

Cerebus

crymerci

Going afk?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2002, 02:19:25 PM »
It definitely depends on the situation...

If I am in private with one or two people, I will use the ooc command. If I am in a crowded tavern, I will usually find a quieter spot or show that I am not paying attention in an IC way. The trouble I have is deciding what to do if I am in a crowded place, but -my character- cannot leave (or be inattentive) for whatever reason...

Since I'm fairly new, I don't know the etiquette: Is it acceptable to "whisper so-and-so ooc--afk a few"? There are times when you really don't need everyone in the area to know you're gone (and they wouldn't care anyway).
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

crymerci

Going afk?
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2002, 02:43:47 PM »
I forgot one thing: I -hate- it when people don't say or do anything at all and they are going afk for several minutes (or more), and they just stop interacting in the middle of a scene. If you don't want to break the moment just stare off into the distance or something...then those around you will realize you're 'lost in thought' when you don't respond. Otherwise, I'm left sitting there wondering if your character is busy Waying or suddenly developed laryngitis, or if you're ghosting, afk, or whatever. Let me know somehow if we're interacting closely...if for no other reason than that -I- can take that short break I may have been waiting for the right time to take.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

John

Going afk?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2002, 08:11:55 PM »
When your walking in the middle of the street, and you need to go AFK, don't just stand there in the middle of the street, it's much better to change your ldesc to "is walking along here" or some variant. Because how is anyone looking north or whatever, suppose to know if your talking to someone, or if your AFK, or waying or what. All of the other reasons should be handled ICly, but AFK aint an IC thing.

Swordsman

Turning into a zombie
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2002, 09:41:16 PM »
If people seem to go AFK for a while without telling anyone I assume it's just lag. There are times when my link just freezes up for a few minutes but I don't have to relog, so other people don't see a disconnection message on the MUD. Occasionally, the link cuts out for hours ... not everyone plays from a 100% solid ISP. Can't be helped. And unless you know the other player IRL, you don't really know if they're AFK or their link just lagged badly.

Swordsman

YellowCactus

Going afk?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2002, 01:19:56 PM »
I'd like to see Arm running with each PC always active...But thats not going to happen.  If I log in and get into a serious scene with militia and templars I'm playing my character.  But if my child needs something, I don't always change ldesc and hint with emotes that I'm afk.   Twice I've lost characters to PC's because real life calls.  Thats not saying to ignore "gone" PCs, but for the love of Tek, why abuse them?  Its much more fun abusing someone who role-plays.  I guess my point is when we play, lets try to be considerate to those unresponsive PCs.