Author Topic: Animal sizes  (Read 8214 times)

Troicha

Animal sizes
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 11:44:51 PM »
Meks and inix in Arm are much, much larger. In addition, I -think- inix have six legs, but it has been a while.

Pale Horse

Animal sizes
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 12:08:19 AM »
Nice pic, Ender, but judging from the dimensions shown, and what has already been posted about coded human/demihuman and animal hights, that Mek and Inix need to be roughly a third or so taller than what they look like.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Fathi

Animal sizes
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 03:39:33 AM »
Quote from: "Troicha"
Meks and inix in Arm are much, much larger. In addition, I -think- inix have six legs, but it has been a while.

Quote from: "Default ldesc of 'an inix'"
A huge, four legged, shell-backed lizard is here, nosing about for forage.

Possibly the fancier ones, but the plain ones are four-legged from everything I've seen.
Out of all those kinds of people, you got a face with a view
I'm just an animal looking for a home
Share the same space for a minute or two

Quote from: BadSkeelz
My preferred form of birth control is still rough circle.

LauraMars

• Helper
Animal sizes
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 03:53:41 AM »
That inix in the picture seems like a pretty big lizard to me.  Look at the human on his back.  Seems like a little guy.  A half giant would come up to its chin probably, or its nose.

Maybe they're a little bigger, but I think that picture is a pretty good example of what stuff is looking like.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Dalmeth

Animal sizes
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 10:40:28 AM »
Actually, nothing in that picture is technically a lizard but more modeled after dinosaur bone structures.  Anyhow, the inix is definitely off in size.  I've seen inixes range from two to three times a human's height, and the one in the picture is hardly taller than a human at its shoulder.

Also, in regard to six-legged lizards, the only one I've ever heard of was the skeet, which probably isn't much bigger than a large dog.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Cale_Knight

Animal sizes
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 04:55:03 PM »
In the picture above, just pretend that those humans are actually half-giants. Now picture a human who comes up to the HG's knee.

That's about the right size for everything.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

X-D

Animal sizes
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 05:59:48 PM »
Also, by in game desc, a bahamet is "the size of a house"

And since it is like a giant  six (I think) legged snapping turtle, I take that to mean around 25-30 feet in all directions. Which would put it to well over ten times more massive then a half-giant.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Nao

Animal sizes
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 08:16:37 PM »
Quote from: "X-D"

And since it is like a giant  six (I think) legged snapping turtle, I take that to mean around 25-30 feet in all directions. Which would put it to well over ten times more massive then a half-giant.

Houses might be smaller than what you're imagining ;)
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

LauraMars

• Helper
Animal sizes
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »
So if Inix are so huge, how are people getting off them and onto them so easily?

There must be like...leather straps and harnesses and ladders stuck all over them to facilitate the ascent of the little people.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Angela Christine

Animal sizes
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 09:20:35 PM »
Quote from: "LauraMars"
So if Inix are so huge, how are people getting off them and onto them so easily?

There must be like...leather straps and harnesses and ladders stuck all over them to facilitate the ascent of the little people.

Or maybe you start at the end of the tail and run up the spine to the saddle, eh?
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Gimfalisette

Animal sizes
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 09:27:57 PM »

That is exactly why I wish the mount command took command emotes. Because currently, there's no way to flavor how you're getting up on that thing. Even a kank should be more than just what it is now.
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Fathi

Animal sizes
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2007, 09:35:09 PM »

One of my favourite scenes when I first started playing Arm was watching a particularly runty fellow try to strap things to his inix's saddle, then climb up onto it using his bags and chests as an ad-hoc ladder.

I didn't know about kudos back then, so... kudos to you, short fellow.
Out of all those kinds of people, you got a face with a view
I'm just an animal looking for a home
Share the same space for a minute or two

Quote from: BadSkeelz
My preferred form of birth control is still rough circle.

Dalmeth

Animal sizes
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »

That's how I do it, among various other methods.  Considering the nature of my current character, I don't ever really portray him as being tied down to the back of the inix through whatever harness is in place.    The usual setup is the rope he uses to climb up the side of the inix is a sort of "stop rope."  If it gets pulled taught, the inix stops.  He secures himself by looping that rope in a loose coil about his arm, so that if he falls off, the inix stops.

I find it infinitely more fun than the usual, "hop on and ride," scenario.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Elgiva

Animal sizes
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2007, 12:04:32 PM »
Quote from: "Nao"
Quote from: "X-D"

Houses might be smaller than what you're imagining ;)

I'd think houses are bigger than halfgiants... at least.

Eukelade

• Legend
Animal sizes
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007, 02:47:03 AM »
Sunback lizard: 93 inches

Sunlon: 105 inches

Bahamet: 155 inches

Finding out the actual sizes of things you thought were bigger or smaller all your life? Priceless.
Goryteller

Quote from: Rock
Scissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Ghost

Animal sizes
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 03:03:07 AM »
Quote from: "Eukelade"
Sunback lizard: 93 inches

Sunlon: 105 inches

Bahamet: 155 inches

Finding out the actual sizes of things you thought were bigger or smaller all your life? Priceless.

Why is it that I read this post and the first word that comes to mind is "penis"?
some of my posts are serious stuff

manonfire

Animal sizes
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »
In Soviet Turkey, inix ride YOU.

flurry

Animal sizes
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »
Quote from: "Pale Horse"
If I recall right, it's pretty common for everyone to call the outdoor rooms "leagues".  According to the dictionary, a league is roughly 3 miles long.

It is kind of common, but I think it's a mistake and it doesn't come from the documentation.  Outdoor rooms aren't standard sizes.  Even if they were, a square league would be way too big, especially when it comes to ranged combat and movement rates.  More clarity on this in a.2 would be really cool.
Be the change you want to see in Zalanthas.

Cale_Knight

Animal sizes
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »
Folks call outdoor rooms leagues because we have to call them SOMETHING.

Unless they code it in 2.arm so that every single outdoors room everywhere is exactly the same size we will never be able to have "real" distances. So when folks say "league" they mean "room." And in the city they'll often say "block" when they mean "room."

That's really just one of the realities of playing in a MUD, and I don't think it's too big a deal.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Coat of Arms

Animal sizes
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
I've heard "clicks" as a reference to rooms, too. I think that means a kilometer and I never liked its use on Armageddon.

When describing distance in-character I like to be creative. I've sometimes referred to one or two rooms as a "bowshot", three rooms as "eye's reach" and such. Or you can use landmarks, there's almost always something. Otherwise simply describe the exact location or path: "out of the gates and down to the bend, then head south until it branches off and pick the road that leads to Amosville".

If you have to use leagues, do it only for distances where it makes sense. Not "three leagues down that alley".

flurry

Animal sizes
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 07:53:29 AM »
Quote from: "Cale_Knight"
Folks call outdoor rooms leagues because we have to call them SOMETHING.

Unless they code it in 2.arm so that every single outdoors room everywhere is exactly the same size we will never be able to have "real" distances. So when folks say "league" they mean "room." And in the city they'll often say "block" when they mean "room."

That's really just one of the realities of playing in a MUD, and I don't think it's too big a deal.

If you have to call them something, miles would make more sense, I think.  Both are units of Zalanthan measure, but leagues just seems way too big for outdoor rooms.   Miles is probably too big too, but at least that's smaller.

And as a side note, most (if not all) of the time you can get around calling them anything with landmarks or just being a little vague.
Be the change you want to see in Zalanthas.