Author Topic: Animal sizes  (Read 8212 times)

theebie

Animal sizes
« on: September 19, 2007, 05:34:58 AM »
Hi,

there's been quite frequent times now that I've seen people who seem to think that mekillots are way smaller than they are.

From what I have seen, they are -way- -way- bigger than half-giants,
several times their height.
Bahamet is about the size of half-giants, but meks are waaaaaay taller,
right ?

Like tall as in a 200 feet tall ?

Things like "a mekillot-drawn cart passes you on the caravan road" simply won't happen ? i doubt even that it would fit on a road at all ?

regards, theebie

Nile

Animal sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 06:28:34 AM »
Seeing a mek drawn cart trundle down the road really gives me an impression of what 'Nak is like. Big, black, mean.
Free your hate.

spawnloser

Animal sizes
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 06:38:52 AM »
Um... 200' tall is probably a bit off.  Picture a brontosaurus.  Sure, they're 100' tall, but for that height, they aren't as wide as you might think.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Elgiva

Animal sizes
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 07:46:23 AM »
Bahamet is about the size of half-giants...

Err... really?  :shock:

Gimfalisette

Animal sizes
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:25:51 PM »
The biggest kind of "critter" I know of in game is approx. 80 cords tall (equivalent to 100 feet), and it's not a mekillot. I'm sure that mekillots are significantly smaller than that, because they ARE small enough to fit on Nak's main roads. Half-giants are only up to like 15 feet tall, so even if a mek is a few times that, they're still a somewhat reasonable size.
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Eukelade

• Legend
Animal sizes
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:24:56 PM »
Good question, Theebie.  Here's some numbers.

In the description of a gigantic, ruddy-brown mekillot, it says they are 25 cords long, and twice the height of a half giant.

A half giant is about 150 inches tall.

The walls of Luirs Outpost are the height of two half giants (around 300 inches tall).

An inix is taller than a half giant (around 220 inches tall).

A silt flyer is taller than an inix (around 240 inches tall).

The walls of Allanak are 50 cords tall (750 inches).

A scrab is smaller than all of these things (98 inches tall).
Goryteller

Quote from: Rock
Scissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

a strange shadow

Animal sizes
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:56:40 PM »
Are these height numbers for animals including their length, or has length already been subtracted from the total?

Because damn, those inix are BIG.

amish overlord

Animal sizes
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:31:57 PM »
Quote from: "Eukelade"

In the description of a gigantic, ruddy-brown mekillot, it says they are 25 cords long, and twice the height of a half giant.

The walls of Luirs Outpost are the height of two half giants (around 300 inches tall).

A mekillot is then according to this webpage http://www.armageddon.org/general/misc.html

With a cord = 15 zalthanian inches 375 inches tall. So taller than luir's walls.

So to translate to real life terms (assuming 1 zalthanian in = 1 earth inch about) 31 1/4 feet tall and 25 feet long.
Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Cowboy

dreams
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »
Somewhere in the recesses of my brain and through the fog, I see meks smashing through the Luir's walls and and....
I'd rather be lucky than good.

Troicha

Animal sizes
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »
Quote from: "Eukelade"

Actually, to put it in real life terms:

Quote from: "http://www.armageddon.org/general/misc.html"
Short distances are measured in inches (which bear a small resemblance to the English inch).

We'll have to assume that 'bear a small resemblance' means 'is equal to' for this to work. So keep in mind that these are inaccurate to an unknown, but not entirely useless, degree.

The average adult human height in the USA is 5'9"(five feet, nine inches), or 176cm for men, or 5'4"/163cm for women. The UK is a bit taller. (Men are a 1.5cm taller; women, .5cm)

Zalanthans are a little taller, the docs placing them between 5'8" and 6'6" (173-198cm)

A half-giant is between 10' and 12'6" (305cm-381cm). That's right, you stare them in the waist.

Dwaves are between 4'4" and 4'10" (132cm-147cm). Somewhere around wast-to-chest height.

Elven height range covers twice the area of human range. They are between 6'6" and 8' (191cm-245cm). Whenever they go to the roundear cities or outposts, they must feel like a tourist in Japan, excepting the politeness. The shortest adult elf is the same height as the tallest human.

Half-elves are between 5'10" and 6'10" (178cm-208cm), tending distinctly towards the human end of their parentage. It just goes to show that elves are a backwards, recessive peoples.

Information on gith is somewhat sparse, due to their habit of trying to kill scholarly explorers, but they are roughly 7' (213cm) tall, though it should be remembered that their natural posture is extremely hunched.

Halflings are the smallest of the widely known sentients on Zalanthas, coming in between 3' and 3'8" (91cm-112cm). It might be more accurate to call them "kneebiters", except that they like to start from up from the bottom.

The problems with measuring gith are further complicated with the mantis. The scant data which has survived such encounters puts them around 7' (216cm) tall. Interestingly enough, they are over half again as long! (as long as a half-giant is tall)

Quick note: For all sentients, the proportion of their height variance to their total median height is roughly the same. Very roughly.

Luir's walls are 25', or 7.6m tall.

An inix comes in at about 18'4" (or 5.6m) tall. Damn, that's a big lizard. A half-giant (or elf, if you can find one) on inix-back can see -over- the walls of Luir's Outpost, even when you assume riding low from the weight. (Eukelade, are you sure you didn't mean to say long? Just checking)

A silt flyer is taller than that, at a straight 20' (6.1m) in height.

A mekillot, finally, is one big mother of a lizard. As tall as Luir's walls (25'/7.6m, for those too lazy to look up), and a whopping 32' (9.5m) long. Probably easier to think of in yards - around 10 of those, or one tenth the length of an American football field. Just barely small enough to still consider lone travelers on foot as food.

Allanak's walls are 64' (19m), or about 21 yards, tall. An imposing scene in the desert, especially when you consider Tek's Tower is about twice as tall as -that-..

(As a side note, the ratio of a Zalanthan mile to an Imperial Mile is 1.25/1)

Zalanthan

Animal sizes
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 07:34:31 PM »
I didn't realize that Mantis are so long!  Thanks, Troicha!
"Be the change you want to see in the world." M. Gandhi

Only He Stands There

Re: Animal sizes
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 07:45:10 PM »
Quote from: "theebie"
Things like "a mekillot-drawn cart passes you on the caravan road" simply won't happen ? i doubt even that it would fit on a road at all ?

Bear in mind, also, that "Caravan Road" is not the size of your average highway. This is big enough for multiple argosies to pass one another regularly. I'd estimate it to be somewhere around the equivalent of a 16-lane interstate. It's a -huge- road -packed- with people, carts, wagons, and mounts.

manonfire

Animal sizes
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »
So, let's extend the theory, if possible

How many miles is it from Red Storm to Tuluk?

Allanak to Cenyr?

Luir's to Tuluk?

The approximate length and width of the Salt Flats?

Troicha

Animal sizes
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 08:18:03 PM »
Not possible, without more information on the size of outdoor rooms.

I could give you the slant height of the shadow cast by Luir's and Allanak at different times of day, though.

Eukelade

• Legend
Animal sizes
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 11:12:16 PM »
I pulled these numbers directly from the coded height of these animals, which are coded in inches.

Yes, inix are very big lizards.  You need to consider that inix need to be able to carry half giants. They're the only mount creature that a half giant can commonly ride.  These aren't shetland ponies.  Half giants are big.
Goryteller

Pale Horse

Animal sizes
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 11:45:27 PM »
If I recall right, it's pretty common for everyone to call the outdoor rooms "leagues".  According to the dictionary, a league is roughly 3 miles long.

So, all you need to do, now, is to take your character and go on a trip to Luir's, Red Storm, Tuluk, across the Salt Flats, etc.  and count the number of rooms...

Heh.  Might be an interesting character concept and/or goal.  "To create a map with accurate measurements of the distances of the notable features of the Known World".  Just imagine all the excitement of trekking across such vast and dangerous places!  Take note of the wildlife and it's peculiar habits of eating, hunting, mating and pack behaviors!

It's National Geographic for Zalanthas.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Cale_Knight

Animal sizes
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 12:02:43 AM »
Except that outdoor rooms clearly are not a standard size. "A super sekrit pool in the woods" is not the same sized room as "lost on the salt flats."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Angela Christine

Animal sizes
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »
If inix are that big, how the heck are rangers taming wild ones?  They are friggin' huge and have a shell.  Do they even notice when some half-elf with maxed ride climbs up on their backs?

Yes, I have tamed a wild inix with a half-elven ranger . . . but I was never quite able to picture just how she did it.   :P
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Eukelade

• Legend
Animal sizes
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 05:12:21 AM »
Taming an animal doesn't have to involve simply jumping onto its back and magickally bonding to the thing.

You can do some roleplay before typing <mount creature> if you want.
Goryteller

spawnloser

Animal sizes
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 06:58:52 AM »
Sometimes a difficult situation, as some wild mounts are hostile until tamed.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Troicha

Animal sizes
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 09:08:58 AM »
Quote from: "Angela Christine"
If inix are that big, how the heck are rangers taming wild ones?  They are friggin' huge and have a shell.  Do they even notice when some half-elf with maxed ride climbs up on their backs?

Yes, I have tamed a wild inix with a half-elven ranger . . . but I was never quite able to picture just how she did it.   :P

Sensitive skin flaps around the jaw.

At least, that's the excuse I use.

Ghost

Animal sizes
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
Everybody knows if you are riding an inix and you are no half giant

you should be wielding a club to remind the inix every once in a while that you are the boss
some of my posts are serious stuff

Belenos

Animal sizes
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 04:22:07 PM »
The inix whisperer.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Ender

Animal sizes
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 06:38:51 PM »
Also bear in mind that inix don't stand straight up.  They're more like crocodiles in their shape.  -very- long but only about six feet tall.  This picture has it standing up more than I've seen in other depictions of darksun inix.

man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

path

• they fight crime
Animal sizes
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 07:28:40 PM »
So how big is a sunback and, in addition, how big is my sunlon in comparison?