Replacing Real Words With Zalanthan Counterparts.

Started by I R K00L, April 03, 2003, 08:53:40 AM

Heya,

I was working on some description for possible future characters in my offline time, and was wondering about using words like Krath, instead of sun, ect...

The main one I was wondering about, was cats, panthers, lions, ect.

Are there any Zalanthan beasts with those same attributes or looks that I could use replace them?

ex.  'Her lithe, panther-like body.'

And also, are there any other common words that people tend to overlookwhen rping, or writing out their long descs?

Thanks!!!

Quirri : These lithe black felines are generally found in the tablelands of the northwest. Their pelts are prized for their luxurious, soft fur. Occasionally, one has been tamed to serve as an exotic pet, but they are often unpredictable, and may lash out at an owner.

Found on the Animals subsection of the General Information section of the Armageddon homepage: http://www.armageddon.org/general/beasts.html
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Yeah, I think Quirri pretty much covers it.  I think that they are about the size of a bobcat, but look more like panthers in appearance.
Back from a long retirement

Well, just as an aside, I think words like cat/dog/sun/moon/etc are completely acceptable.  The only unacceptable words to use, IMHO, are words that define something that wouldn't have been invented or use of english slang that wouldn't make sense in the game.  Although I certainly think it's neat when people come up with alternative ways to state something, I don't think it should be done at the cost of meaning.

I disagree partially.

I think "sun" and "moon" are both acceptable as there are moons and there is a sun they are often referred to as such.  Example: The Sun King.

However, there are no dogs or cats on Zalanthas, at least not that the general populace would be aware of.  If you're looking for something to replace "dog" try "tok" as in:

Gortok : A common type of canine in the northlands, the gortok are well-known as wild predatory scavengers with a strong pack mentality. They are not known for particular intelligence or cleanliness, but are quite hardy, capable of loping great distances after their slowly tiring prey before moving in with their vise-like jaws. Their hides often become an all but useless mass of scar tissue due to the constant fighting amongst themselves or the wounds recieved during a hunt.

They are very similar to dogs as they are canines and there are also instances of them being domesticated.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

dogs tend to be gortok's.
son of a 'tok, mangy mutts, etc.

cats tend to be quirri.

a panther might be equivacle to a tembo. (striped powerful quadriped beast with sharp teeth and claws)

To me, it makes a big difference if it's used in a sdesc versus used in dialogue.  The sdesc is supposed to aid the player in picturing the character - so I don't see a huge problem if sometimes the adjectives are based on things outside the game world like ocean-eyed or apple-cheeked.   With dialogue, it's a whole different story.  It would seem really jarring to see a PC talk of people "fighting like cats and dogs" or describing somone as having "snow-white" hair.

I guess preferably an sdesc would eliminate such references too, but somehow it doesn't seem nearly as alarming as in dialogue.

Quote from: "Anonymous"
I guess preferably an sdesc would eliminate such references too, but somehow it doesn't seem nearly as alarming as in dialogue.

Sdesc has to have the eliminated, and not solely for the fact roughly 50% find it jarring.  You're always going to have that guy who's like, "I don't know her name or anything, but there was this snowy-tressed voluptuous maiden in the Gaj the other day."

Maybe we could teach people to learn the wonderful world of adjectives, but oh well ;p.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

All I have to say in regards to teaching people to describe their characters... http://www.thesaurus.com  Use it, love it, live it.

Someone's already mentioned the page that lists all the Zalanthan critters, so I won't post it, but I will mention that people should read that page.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'd really like if there was more documentation on language and slang for native of Zalanthas. Some creative Zalanthan curse words, how people's accents generally sound, ect.

People can do it individually, but the problem is then that it isn't really universal. You find some people with accents, some not, some who use "Aye" and "ye", some who don't, ect.

Quote from: "God"I'd really like if there was more documentation on language and slang for native of Zalanthas. Some creative Zalanthan curse words, how people's accents generally sound, ect.

People can do it individually, but the problem is then that it isn't really universal. You find some people with accents, some not, some who use "Aye" and "ye", some who don't, ect.

That doesn't bother me, not everyone who speaks english uses the same slang.  Not everyone speaking english in a single city uses the same slang.  I've gotten to the age where much of what is said on MTV or Much Music TV goes right over my head . . . alright, most of went right by me even when I was a teenager.  :sigh:  :oops:  "Freak out" and "freak on" are a pair of similar sounding slang phrases with completely different meanings.  I could go on and on (ask anyone) but my point is that it doesn't matter if someone uses unusual slang, maybe they are from the Zalanthian equivilent to the Bronks.   8)

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Still, I don't see how documentation would hurt. Everyone in a specific region uses the same slang, I'm sorry to say. With the teenagers today, people say dude, cool, groovy, gay, ect.

With Zalanthans, it ranges from Aye to yeah, dude to mate and sir, and feck, fuck, ect. Ye, ya, yo, ho, and you. Course, if someone wants to give their character a particular slang, it's fine with me as long as its not modern.  :wink:

I've scrounged up a few words to use from reading on here, but it'd be nicer if there was a doc.

Quote from: "God"I'd really like if there was more documentation on language and slang for native of Zalanthas. Some creative Zalanthan curse words
A while ago a CURSES helpfile was implemented into the game (at least according to the weekly updates anyway). I've never been able to access it IG, so I've bugged it so hopefully it'll be fixed in a bit, until then I'll post it up ;)

CURSES                                                          (Character)

Here are some curses that are commonly used in Armageddon.

Kank-Fucker - Similar to mother fucker.
  feck - same as fuck.
  Bitch - A female gortok.
  Krath - Pretty much means God.
  Highlord - Used by people who live in Allanak. Means God.
  Drov - Hell
         e.g. What the Drov just happened here?
  Anklebiter/Kneebiter - Mildly offensive name for halflings.
  Sharpear/Longneck/Skinny/Slant-eye - Mildly offensive names for elves.

Roundear - Offensive term for humans that elves use when they want to
  piss humans off. They probably have lots of other names they use
  privately.
  Stumpy/Stubby/Shorty/Baldy - Quasi-offensive derogative for dwarves.
  Sands - Similar to 'Zoinks!'
  Sewer Horror - Something horrible that lives in the sewers.
            e.g. Prove your mother's not a feral sewer horror!
  Falish - Used to describe something/someone that is flamboyant.
      e.g. Those pants make you look awefully Falish.
  Tighter than a Templar's asshole - Used to describe something that is

stuck, or closed shut, or secure.
  Hung like an Inix - See help Inix for more details
  Hellpits of Suk-Krath - Hell
  Send <the person's name> to Drov - kill them
                 e.g. Send Bom to Drov
  Utep's teeth - Mildly offensive curse. Could be used when told
  something bad.
  Utep's balls - Same as Utep's teeeth, only a lot more offensive. A
  favourite in Allanak.
  Tek's Balls - Same as Utep's Balls.
  Tek's whiskers - See Utep's teeth
  Green - Used in military organizations as a mildly offensive term for a
  new recruit that doesn't know what they're doing.
  Son of a Gortok - Same as son of a bitch.

I remember years ago, someone gave me some grief because I emoted
'fishing' for something in my pocket.

Quote from: "Anonymous"I remember years ago, someone gave me some grief because I emoted
'fishing' for something in my pocket.

That's funny.   :D   At some point you have to assume english idiom will be translated into it's Sirihish (Allundean, etc.) equivilent.  A word like "doggedly" seems to be related to dogs, so it probably wouldn't exist on Zalanthas, but the concept could still exist with an appropriate word.  I could whip out your thesaurus and find a bunch of words that mean approximately the same thing (determinedly  assiduously, closely, diligently, doggedly, earnestly, exhaustively, industriously, intensely, intensively, intently, painstakingly, persistently, searchingly, sharply, steadily, strenuously, thoroughly, unremittingly, untiringly) but I'm not usually willing to stop and do that mid-scene.

It is hard to know where to draw the line.  When I'd only been playing for a couple weeks I used the phrase "wet blanket" and I think that was probably innapropriate, luckily the other PC didn't call me on it.  Unlike dogs and fishes, blankets actually exist on Zalanthas and it is concievable that one could become wet, so it is possible have a litteral wet blanket but the phrase would probably have different connetations than it has in english.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins