help skill_bandagemaking

Started by picklehead, March 30, 2003, 12:29:34 AM

This question is directed at people who've had the bandagemaking skill in the past or any imm who might be able to shed some light on this for me.

In your experience, is the bandagemaking skill exceedingly hard to get even remotely good at? I ask because my 7-day old character has only suceeded in making the simplest of bandages ONCE... and that was my very first attempt.. five days of playing time later and a numerous amount of attempts since, I haven't had one sucess at it. Ironically I had sucess on my first try without any tools that would seem helpful and since then not even tools that would make sense for the construction of a bandage have been any help.  :cry:  Anyhow, I was just wondering if this sounds normal, because I've never before had this sort of failure rate with any other crafting skill.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

I had a physician once, after about 1000 'sid and around 8 days of play time I was making bandages fairly reliably.  I don't know if it is actually slower than other crafting skills, or if it just seems slower because you can't forage or find the materials, so you can only practice when you have some extra 'sid.  With a stone carver you might be able to do 10-20 crafting attempts in a row, and do that every few hours of play time.  Unless you are a noble or something with a huge income, you won't be able to buy dozens of bolts of cloth every few days, so it's slower going.  But you get there eventually.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I had a fairly good physician that lasted a good deal of time I think, but I was more the charitable type. So I could never really make the money to get bandagemaking any good.

I got it to a point where maybe 30% of the time I could make one successfully, and that was like my entire budget for the year.

I would say that the learning curve isnt really any different then other crafting type skills, just the materials are pretty expensive. I suppose its the same with tailoring and such, all the materials are pretty expensive for
an independant person.

Id suggest getting a sponser, or a very wealthy person to buy your products, or not put the effort into making them. They are one-time use only, and alot of the time the bandaging process is just as horrid as the bandage making.

Its kinda a sad state, but if you can get through the learning curves, and horrid amounts of money needed, you will probably be a prized person to all those wounded in the world.

I mean at a 90% success rate you could make a bandage for maybe less then 30 sid, and with a decent bandage skill thats a pretty hefty help. Imagine being brought back from near death for 30 sid :)

I had a character for a short while with bandagemaking.  He had extremely good? wisdom, so I guess he was a fast learner.  Anyway, it was very difficult at first.  But he would use his extra sid to buy materials when he could.  It took a while but he got good enough at it to almost break even a few times (buying materials and then selling the bandages).  

He died at about the 2 day mark so I don't know how good he could have become but it seemed to me that skill was like most others.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?