Sparse PC populations.

Started by gfair, March 27, 2003, 01:12:17 PM

I'd like to ask the staff if they consider the existing player base to be fractured in the sense that there is less interaction now in some parts of the world, than there was before the rise of Tuluk.

Do you consider this an issue at the moment?

I know I'm not a staff member, but I'd like to chime in on this and say that while I don't think its an epidemic, that there is a little too much in the way of population spreading going on.

There are, IMHO, too many clans.  This, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing.

The bad part of that, though, is that these clans have their own headquarters and compounds or caves or grottos in the sky...you get the picture.

So, instead of lurking the streets or starting fights at the tavern, they are holed up with clan mates, sparring or whatever.

Here's what I'd suggest, some of these will make heads pop.

• Have Salarr and Kadius merge via a high-level family marriage.  

These two clans, at least on the surface, seem redundant.  Merging the two would create a power structure and create more chances for direct conflict with Kurac.

• Shutdown either Borsail, Tor or Oash and reopen Tenneshi in the north.  

Three noble houses in Allanak is too many at this point, in my opinion.  Not when you factor in the population spread and the other clans active in Allanak.  Three active noble houses, three 'rinth clans, Templars, militia, Salarr, Kadius, Nenyuk and noble/templar advisors.....  Who's left to be Joe Commoner?

Maybe it seems overly simplistic, but I like the idea of having two noble clans in each major city.  It leads to more clear and open conflict.

• Whenever possible situate barracks and other facilities close to the more active taverns in a town and instittute an 'everybody out' policy like I believe the Byn had.  (Where you couldn't just sit around the Byn kitchen BS'ing with your mates at night but actually had to go do it elsewhere.)

• A limit on the number of employees noble, merchant or militia clans can have.  

Limiting the number of employees would do three things.  

1.  It would make those positions as ICly attractive as they are supposed to be.  
    2. It would limit the amount of players who are drawn into isolated compounds basically sparring or eating free food.  
    3.  Encourage players who are unable to get a job to form their own groups.

I know it would have a negative effect on the ability of those guards to train, but perhaps interclan training could be replaced by intra-clan training at the Tor Academy or a Tuluki equivalent.....Which could possibly lead to more CONFLICT.

I'm a staff member, and I don't consider it to be a problem.  As has been posted elsewhere, populations are highly cyclical.  Back before it was destroyed, Tuluk was always the more popular of the two cities, for the same reasons that have already been bandied about: easier hunting, nicer templars, etc., etc., etc..  But through it all, Allanak managed to survive without becoming as empty as the wastes around it.  In fact, I think at the time, most people considered Allanak the place for the skilled players, and Tuluk as a place full of newbies.  Only time will tell if this happens again.

Meanwhile, as of this post...
There are 44 players on.
10 are in Allanak
12 are in Tuluk
14 are hiding in private rooms.  
-  5 of those people are in Allanak
-  7 of those people are in Tuluk
Approx. 5 people are in the desert or remote locations.

Doesn't seem wholly lopsided to me.

Naephet
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world."

Wow that was really cool to see that breakdown. Just a wild suggestion, not really sure if it is possible or plausable, but can we get something similar in the weekly update? Perhaps capture the data during the peek time, or even show what the peek was. It will be cool to know if the p-base is growing and whatnot. Or just ignore my ramblings, it's late here.

I second plazgloths idea. it sounds great, if it plausible.
oh I'm on fire.

i third it... try to include luirs too. that might be neat.
and red storm :)

QuoteThere are 44 players on.
10 are in Allanak
12 are in Tuluk
- 5 of those people are in Allanak
- 7 of those people are in Tuluk

That adds up to 41.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Likely, that doesn't count the three immortals that were probably on when he posted that.
Tlaloc
Legend

Ok, this puts much of my issue to rest - I felt sorry for Nak thinking that reports of it being deserted were true, but it's good to know there's a lot more people than I thought.  With 60 people on, Nak shouldn't be a ghost town, which was my fear.

Good to know.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my opinion, the playerbase is much more consolidated now than it has been in the past. In the past, there were quite a few more true isolationist clans that would draw people away from the main population and keep them away. To name a few: Blackwing (took up quite a few players), Conclave (also had quite a few, but fluctuated), Blackmoon (fluctuated, but generally had a good number of members), Tan Muark (still around, but maybe not as many players as during their prime) and a variety of desert elf tribes similar to those that we have now which come and go (Tar Kroh, Akei Ta Var, Sun Runners, etc.) The Blackwing and the Conclave were also extremely cliqueish, rarely interacting with the outside world and their playerbases, at times, seeming to form a mud of their own that was entirely separate from Armageddon in some ways (not bashing them, I cut my teeth in the Conclave, and still have a soft spot for it to this day). We also, during that time, peaked at around 40 players. It wasn't uncommon for me to login and there be 5 other players online throughout the US daytime. So, not only were there more isolated groups, but there was a smaller playerbase to support them.

Now, sure, the North is popular. However, we have so many more players that I don't find it to be a problem. On top of that, there are far fewer total-isolationist clans than there were at one time. The clans that don't live in either Allanak or Tuluk at least interact frequently with the players that do live in those cities. This is the key, I think. There are no more true isolationist clans, and this is a good thing. Allanak might seem sparse to some people, but, to me, it seems like it's always bustling with activity in comparison to the "old days." That's not saying that we couldn't use more players, though! I'd love to see enough players that all of the major clans and centers of population at least have the PCs to support their infrastructure and run somewhat smoothly.

Just my thoughts from the past,
Bakha
ack to retirement for the school year.

Quote from: "Carnage"
10 are in Allanak
12 are in Tuluk

That adds up to 41.

This does not add to 41: 10 + 12 + 5 = 27 (unless "private rooms," even when alluding to a city don't constitute a part of that populace.)
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Carnage"
10 are in Allanak
12 are in Tuluk

That adds up to 41.

It does add up to 41.  The Allanak/Tuluk figures did not include the people in private rooms.  The actual Allanak figure was 15.  Actual Tuluk figure was 19.

It does not count immortals, who I was careful to exclude.

The math problem comes from the fact that, while I was counting:
1:  People were logging on/off.
2:  People were moving around from city to desert, home to city, city to home, etc.

They were approximate figures.  But the point is the same.  Tuluk has more people, but not excessively so.

Naephet
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world."

I've not really seen a small population of PC's in a place as the problem to be honest.

What I've noticed that seems to make it hard in Allanak is the lack of itneraction, when people are in a room together.

I spend the majority of my character's days heading to the tavern, and there's almost always someone in there! I'll practically throw myself on the handler's keyboard to get some roleplay out of the moment, and 6/10 times, I get ignored, or even worse, the PC gets up and walks out lolz.

I see it happen between plenty of others too. If people would interact more with the ones who are around, they would be having much more fun. Perhaps, it's my character's overwhelming f-meness that attracts the PC's, - :lol: - but I never have a problem finding them. Maybe that's what makes em so shy too.  :roll:

Quote from: "Plazgoth"Wow that was really cool to see that breakdown. Just a wild suggestion, not really sure if it is possible or plausable, but can we get something similar in the weekly update? Perhaps capture the data during the peek time, or even show what the peek was. It will be cool to know if the p-base is growing and whatnot. Or just ignore my ramblings, it's late here.

Now thats the kind of feature I'd like to see in the weekly update.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Try taverns at night, generally that is when my characters head there and so does most of the population.

I wonder then, due to these two major cities being population centers, if we are not seeing the natural concentration of PC/players in those two areas due to the same thing driving real-world migration of people to cities.

For example, the Chinese government is facing a challenge - urbanizing nearly one billion citizens. Why?  They all want to move to the city, where theres's life, opportunity, more people, so many new things.

I think that belief may tend to dominate a player's decision to choose one city over the other.[/url]

With crazy sandstorms and the darkness how could you even navigate there! ::heh:: I've felt at sometimes when there are 60 people on the game and you happen to come across 3 its a bummer but theres other things to rp with, So just try to keep yourself busy until there is a big player base about the taverns, As for the clans I love how there is polictics and inter fighting between houses it really does add to the game if your character is even remotely involved. If not we are all still affected by it:)