death idea

Started by cabbage, March 26, 2003, 03:22:07 PM

You know what really sucks?
Dying when your in the middle of this big plot and all these crazy things are going on and your taken right of the story and you dont know what happens. There is no closure. I was just involved in this long plot that was incredible and involved many people and was sortof epic and all of a sudden i was killed. I need to know whats happening right now after my death. I would love to know how the parties responible for my death are reacting and what they are doing to my corpse and how they will react when they finda certian something on me. And i would like to know if my freinds who werent there find out if everor if any rumors or anything is happening. This is driving me crazy.
So here is my idea. After you die you become a ghost. When youra ghost you cant talk or do anything or intereact with anything or anyone you can just move around and watch things and you'd only be a ghost for like 1 RL day before the ghost expires and you have to make a new char. I think the ghost idea would give people a little more closure and would make people content knowing how the story/saga they were involved in ended. maybe this idea is just crazy but i thought it was sortof cool.

In some games your idea would be terrific, and in fact it's implemented in them.

But in Armageddon, the risk of your using this knowledge- even without realizing it - in your next character's RP is too great. In a permadeath game, death -must- be permanent. As in, no second chance, no afterlife, no resurrection, no nuttin. Dead is dead. The fact that you -don't- know what happens is what makes the game so intriguing and gut-wrenching, and therefore so addictive.

With an idea such as yours, it would lessen the experience, I think.

While I can definitely sympathize with the sudden death, being ripped out of amazing plots and not knowing if anyone is ever going to know what happened to your character thing.. I have to say no to the ghost thing. It'd be too tempting to abuse it for many people.. plus, like Bestatte said, it would end up lessening the experience.

having free movement reign for a real life day without restriction is
enough abuse for some people... spamming can get you far in not even
a few minutes. people would have teh world mapped out with only a few
'ghosts'.

But the idea has merit, maybe like a 20 minute ghost that can only stand
where you die, so you can see how things played out.

I like this idea as a fan of the world, but not as a player.

I don't want to know what that defiler or hooded assassin looked like or who they were.

This idea comes up every year or so and while I don't hate it, I just think that it would be a break from the reality of the game and would detract from plots.

Besides....a lot of what you see would just be the emoteless stripping of your body.

Hmm, now  that I think about it, I think the first Angela Christine post I remember was something along this line.

I would have to agree with the NO on the ghost thing.

1. It would be abused.

2. People would be able to walk anywhere.

3. They would be able to find out soo much information.

The only way I would be able to see this implemented is if those three things couldn't be done, but I don't think I like the idea very much even if........
QuoteBut the idea has merit, maybe like a 20 minute ghost that can only stand
where you die, so you can see how things played out.

This idea has been raised several times before.

One possible way around the "I'll use my ghost to map the world!", though, might be to restrict the ghost to the room where the person died. And the ghost only last for a few hours real-time.

Which is not to say I'm keen on implementing this idea, because I'm not, due to the fact that I still think goobers would abuse it.

Yeah, someone just brought up the fact that you would then see who
did kill you. Ruining the mystery, and then leaving the person open for
those lovely ooc grudges where they then go after that person on their
next pc. I withdraw my backing of it in previously described form, maybe
only see 'Someone's? or something, so you can see if 'someone's'
mourned your death... or just defiled your corpse.

At present I would definitely be against this kind of thing, because it serves no purpose other than player I WANNA I WANNA.  I WANNA steel sword.  I WANNA chat with Tektolnes.  I WANNA kill the Dragon.  I WANNA see rain.  I WANNA magick amulet of doom.  I WANNA see what happens after I die.

All these kinds of things are fascinating and all are theoretically possible in the game world, however unlikely.  They are also what makes this Crackageddon -- constantly striving for something which just *might* be achievable, although regularly met with frustration.  I WANNA have more.  I GOTTA have more.  DO IT DO IT NNNGGHHHAAHHH!!!!  Here's a little high to get you going, and there's the promise of an Uber High if all goes according to your devious little plans...

I really do understand why people want to see and know what happens when they die and right after they die.  It's hard.  But it's also one (of many) drives which, I believe, keep people coming back for more punishment.  The only chance you have of finding out is to play another character..and maybe, somewhere down the line, you'll hear a certain story..

And that, aside from IC problems or potential OOC abuse, is why I am against it.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Quote from: "Sanvean"...Which is not to say I'm keen on implementing this idea, because I'm not, due to the fact that I still think goobers would abuse it.

So im -not- the only person who uses that word!

Quote from: "Savak"I WANNA chat with Tektolnes.
Do insane people often talk to you? I know I personally would NEVER want to talk to Tektolnes or Muk Utep. They'd kill you just for the fun of it (oh no. Now Dyrinis is going to start inhabiting Tektolnes  :shock:).

I personally don't like this idea, mainly because it will cause people who killed you to just avoid the room where they killed you in, so therefore you STILL wouldn't find out who killed you. And having the murderer in the next room would be even MORE frustrating.

Heeeeeey, goober is a good word ;->

And when Sanvean says the idea has been raised a few times, she means tons. I think I even raised it myself. I did sometime in my past also e-mail the MUD account about an idea for rain. But I swear... I said it was only supposed to happen once, very lightly, every ten or so IC years. D:

OK.... a ghost... immobile... stuck in the dead's room. Can't see well. Everything's someone or something. And... It lives for a short time. Seeing someones won't hurt.
And... A crazy idea.. Let the ghosts stay till the body's buried with a ceramony. So the player becomes crazy when he's died of thirst in the middle of the desert. Tainted souls eh?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"OK.... a ghost... immobile... stuck in the dead's room. Can't see well. Everything's someone or something. And... It lives for a short time. Seeing someones won't hurt.
And... A crazy idea.. Let the ghosts stay till the body's buried with a ceramony. So the player becomes crazy when he's died of thirst in the middle of the desert. Tainted souls eh?

You're just rabid for this idea?

If this idea was implemented with all the restrictions on it that you're suggesting, noone would be happy with the result.  If your ghost can't go away until the body is buried...and you don't get buried, granted, that could end up with an insane ghost...but an insane player too, that would never come back to the game when his ghost is sitting out in the middle of the desert after the corpse has already rotted away, no chance of a burial...no chance of playing a new character, because they're stuck as a ghost.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I said CRAZED player... It was just a crazy idea for fun, as I said :twisted:
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I dunno about this idea. I mean not all deaths are deaths I wanna check in on as a ghost. Such as starvation, or falling off a building. I think maybe a better idea would just have someone send a vague log of what happened a lil bit afterward to your email upon request.

It's prolly a stupid idea as well. I don't get many good ones, cept for the vacuuming-underwater-toaster I got a patent for a while back.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." - Laurence Peter

Evolution doesn't take prisoners.

Evil is the quickest point from A to B