The south...

Started by , March 26, 2003, 02:01:06 AM

If the south has been toned down, that is good. If the north is still being tweaked, that is also good.

In my opinion, if you wish a tough place to play out of, simply pick Red Storm. To a lesser degree, also pick Luir's. Allanak and Tuluk, to me, should both be playable for a newbie independant or for a new character who is an independant, since these two cities are the primary sources for and contain the most opportunities for newbie instruction and character development. Never make it soft, but too hard is too hard, and that is simply a fact.

Older players who want a true challange should, as I said, start in Luir's or in Red Storm.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Well, I haven't been down south for a few RL months, but I started a character in Luir's who, through a lovely turn of events, found himself near naked, no food or water, and no mount...in the salt flats. My newb warrior WALKED his ass to 'Nak (more of stumbled around aimlessly until he found a road, picked a direction and followed it that way...), and survived to see the gates, with less than 2 days playing time. I then managed to eek out a living on my own in Nak, mostly killing scrabs which my warrior was dual wielding against within around 3 days playing time. Have scrabs been beefed up or something? Got himself a mount. He was taking down tarantulas/beetles within 5 days playing time, without too much pain. Also made MANY trips between Tuluk and 'Nak on his own. It's not IMPOSSIBLE to scratch out a living in that desert of a south, but I agree they should throw in a few more goudra/vestric type things, as scrab shells were really about the only thing he could manage to sell, and 95% of the time they already had too many..hence the trips to the north to sell them. All done solo. I don't think the south needs TOO much done to it, tone down the gith a bit mebbe, cut back on the number of nasty predators, toss in a few goudra-types...but as it is, unless the wildlife change was drastic in the south, it's not impossible to survive down there alone and in the wilds, if you're smart. Only reason he died was a duel to the death with a filthy, filthy elf.

We'll put it next to the smurf village and the newbie school... too many players are beginning to gauge 'success' in the game on how much coin their characters have or what they can kill, and ignoring character development in favor of skill/bank account development... I've seen rangers in the north put merchant family members to shame with their massive bank accounts.  *sighs*

Just remember, as long as there are ways to gain coin, there will always be templars to take it back.  Now, just waiting for that deflation to hit...

-Shinigami, Harsh Storyteller of Tektolnes
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

Wait, tone DOWN the Gith?  Are you high?  I was killing those solo gith like it was going out of style, now even in a group of five warriors Im looking around nervously, wondering when that next arrow or spear is going to come for me.
 For me, success is that I actually got HIRED.  In several weeks playing time, success will be the reputation my character earns, and how many clans want to kill/hire me.  Success for now is measured in days.  Each new day that dawns for my character that it roleplays, does its job, and lives is a mark for me.  Im damn proud of this one, I can only hope that I actually make it two weeks (first time).
 Back to the subject of Southron Ecology though, I think 'Nak is a dangerous and a safe place to live.  If you have a small group of other newbies, you can probably go scrab hunting in your fist day.  Provided you only run into scrab... mwahahaha.  I like the south the way it is, and from what Ive heard of those damn horrible acid spraying, paralyzing, auto-fleeing, claw toed giant tortoises Up North, Im glad I only have Gith, Scrab, Beetles, tarantulas and SILTHORRORS to contend with.  Um, I think the south is just fine, thanks.

5 Day Lifespan shudders in horror at the thought of silt horrors.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

QuoteWait, tone DOWN the Gith? Are you high? I was killing those solo gith like it was going out of style, now even in a group of five warriors Im looking around nervously, wondering when that next arrow or spear is going to come for me.

I agree, even with a skilled group the gith packs are very worthy (read deadly) opponents. However, it might be cool to have a few random single gith here and there, or a pair, etc. This would give solo hunters a chance to tangle with a gith or two without havin' to haul ass away from a group. Or, just keep them in those packs so they will always be fully feared. :P

One thing I really enjoy is the occasional horror or mek that wanders nice and close to 'Nak. That makes things very interesting.

Edit: Yes I know certain types of gith go around solo, but maybe making that more varied would spice things up.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

If you haven't been around 'Nak for the last few weeks since the change, then your knowledge is dated.  I personally really like the improvements that have been made as far as NPC's are concerned, as well the few terrain features.  Its nice to have places I now consider dangerous and not as dangerous, as opposed to everyplace being pretty much the same.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Yeah, you can live pretty decently... at least eatting regularly with the new additions to the terrain. Some people have even become wealthy... but then of course there is the dangers which are now comparable to the reward should you succeed.

Bravo ?Dyrinis? I think it was.

If you ask me, and I have no idea why you would, I'd say it's a trap.

Yup, a trap. I'd bet they're plannin' something BIG, baby! I'd say there's gonna be some kinda catastrophe, or disaster, or robot invasion(not likely, that one...) that's gonna hit the North like a ton of feathers (which is just as heavy as a ton of bricks. what they lack in hardness and head-crushery, they more than make up for in inhalability. nasty when they get in your throat.) and make everybody scramble like scared lizards, to be picked off by roving bands of halflings.

By making this prediction, I may have saved the north from further ruin! or maybe I've just forced the Imms to come up with something bigger and badder...