Klling the Link Dead....

Started by Plazgoth, March 18, 2003, 05:38:12 PM

What is the staff's opinion on Link Dead players. Should we the non-LD players just ignore them? If someone is trespassing, or so your PC thinks, but they seem LD should we pretend they are not there, or take the normal actions we would against a would-be-trespasser? What is a good estimate of time to wait for the person to come out of the Link Death, before taking actions against them? 10 Min? 30 min? Should we wish up and let the staff know what we plan to do to the LD player, and wait for approval?

Thanks.

I think it's pretty crappy to kill, steal from, and otherwise mess with LD players. I usually try to purge linkdeads when I see them. If it's at all possible, it would be best to pretend they're not there. I know this will trigger a deluge of complaints about how it's not realistic, but in this case, I think it's best to let the OOC considerations outweigh the IC ones. I speak for myself in this, however, and not the whole staff. There isn't an official stance on it.

Thanks for the input. What about waiting for them? I guess they could be really idling or pretending to be link dead so there might not be a point to waiting it out. Would you advise wishing up and asking for the person to be purged if they are LD?

Thanks

I think coming across a link dead person (like thats really even possible unless you stand there to make sure they arnt there) and a person who 'drops link' to get out of some situations are a bit different. If someone has been link-dead for a few days you most likely will have no reason to interact with them, unless your a thief or homicidal murderer. I suppose if a Templar is looking for a criminal, they come across them and they are link dead they should be apprhended. Thats one of the few situations I can think of where you'd -have to- interact with someone.

I'm not staff here, but I'm answering anyways.

I've played with quite a few people that have just horrible connections, which send them link-dead anywhere from ten seconds to the rest of the time I'm online.

I think if I were to come across a (seemingly) link-dead PC in a place they shouldn't be (burglar in a noble estate), I'd definitely ask for some sort of immortal attention. Asking whether or not they're actually link-dead might be the right thing to do, and perhaps ask for them to be quit out. As far as role-playing the situation out, I might have "caught a glimpse" of them or something very similar.

Now, people going link-dead to avoid a potentially deadly situation for their character is a different matter entirely. I'd make it a point to continue with the situation in that case.

Well there are a few other situations that I can think of which are similar to your example of the Templar and Criminal. A noble finding someone in their estate that obviously does not belong there. A gang in the rinth finding a rival gang's member in their teritory. A tribal human finding an outsider in what they think is their land. I agree that seeing someone in the streets of Allanak in the same spot for a few days (obviously LD) does not warrant you to try and interact with them, but there are many other scenarios which I think would.

Quote from: "Plazgoth"Well there are a few other situations that I can think of which are similar to your example of the Templar and Criminal. A noble finding someone in their estate that obviously does not belong there. A gang in the rinth finding a rival gang's member in their teritory. A tribal human finding an outsider in what they think is their land.

I just ripped those out. There is a problem here. If that person didn't go link dead, would they have gotten out unnoticed? Could very well be. If you just come acrossed someone, I think for the most part, it shouldn't be you deciding what happens. It's some what like a close ended emote except on a larger scale, it's one player determining what another character could or could not do and then acting on that. Just like a templar coming acrossed a criminal thats link dead. He could have snuck out for something and was nearly back to his hide out when he dropped link. He wouldn't have gotten caught. Why should an OOC concern effect it?

Yeah, personally I think OOC people should be alot more polite, if not nice, to everyone else. But thats just me. Wish up maybe if it's a big deal. If there are no Staff about and you have the resources drag them someplace where they'd be at least alittle safe and aren't causing you a problem. Like out of your estate(Gang's ground, your tribes land, etc.), but if you can help it don't leave them in the middle of the 'rinth, on an abandoned roof top or in the path of an on coming mek'.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Creeper wrote:

QuoteYeah, personally I think OOC people should be alot more polite, if not nice, to everyone else.

I agree, it'd be a nice change. Heh.  But I've never understood the "I'm going to mess with someone HAHAHAHAHAH" pkill urge, so maybe I'm not the person to ask.

I remember once when I was interacting with someone, thought how I was going to kill them and started away to make my way around from behind, so that they would have been unsuspecting. So what I did was run around and come at them from the side, I used a poisoned blade which immobilized them and then stopped fighting/subdued to take them to a more secluded spot. After rp'ing all this out I saw the "person has gone link-dead" immediately followed by the message that they were back from being link-dead. Which means they could have gone link-dead the moment right after I left them. I had intended to kill them, but since they were link-dead the whole "fight" I just decided to have my character make a mistake in assuming them dead, doing so by hitting my mercy and then attacking them a bit more to unconscious. Since the poison was one that stopped the muscles I thought "Hmm, it would be easy to mistake this person for dead since their breathing would be slowed along with heart-rate because of the poison." I then IC'lly emoted checking their chest and neck for breathing before nodding and turning to leave the area.
I even sent in a mail to the staff, asking if they would send a log or explanation to them on what happened to their char.

Now this is an example of what I would do if the person I was attacking was LD. Now, if I came across someone on my "terratory" who was LD I would simply subdue them, drag them out of my area and tell them never to come back. Sure, their player wouldn't know about any of it, but at least it would be IC for me to do that, and it may keep anyone else in my group from killing them before checking on whether or not they are LD.

Some would be say im overly-nice to others in hoping their chars get a "good" death, or that they have a good time too.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have come to agree that killing an LD person is pretty nasty. I have decided to just let them be and hope they make the mistake again in the future when they are no longer crippled by OOC means.

Cheers...