Author Topic: Continuance  (Read 1473 times)

Continuance
« on: October 02, 2002, 10:40:25 AM »
I recently lost a character and the last clan I was in, I really enjoyed playing in. If I were to make a new character and that character joined that clan, how does the staff feel about that kind of thing? Bearing in mind that the new character would be of a different personality and generally, be different from the last and OOC factors (recollectiongs of non-publicized things, etc.) are minimized.

Boggis

Move on...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 11:41:02 AM »
I'm not speaking for the staff here but I think it's generally advised not to make a brand new character and join the same clan. I know that we all learn things when playing characters that we have to disregard IC'ly for our next characters so I guess that's not the real issue - although being so close to the same IC plots with a new character will make it more difficult to ignore IC info you learned from your previous PC imo. Aside from the IC / OOC considerations I personally prefer to go do something new with a new group and RP with new players - one of the great things about permadeath is that you get to make a whole new concept and RP with players you might never otherwise have RP'd with. But that's just me.

Boggis... posting to avoid working today
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink” Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

krelin

Really?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 12:06:04 PM »
I know of a few players who have remained in the same clan for a legacy of several character generations...  this seems even to have some advantages.  The exposures I've gotten to various clans have left me with the impression that carefully planned clan plots are more easily maintained and concealed if the players in those clans remain in those clans.  In a sense, it's easier to avoid OOCly weird situations if your motivations don't change across clan-memberships.

Basically, what this all means is, if you had a good time playing in a given clan, I think it's not at all a bad thing to try to get into that clan again, if it's a thing that makes IC sense for your next character.

I'll be curious to see what the staff members have to say about this.

Sanvean

• My Website
Yes and No
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2002, 05:26:11 PM »
With longterm characters, I strongly suggest that the person -not- rejoin their clan, because there is so much history built up with the last character that it's very very hard not to avoid some blurring between the two. You're also going to carry over some feelings towards other people from your last character.

That said, I don't think it's a bad thing when the old character wasn't particularly long-lived and didn't have a lot of history built up.

krelin

Interesting
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2002, 07:23:02 PM »
And I totally see your point.  But might not a long-lived character have even MORE OOCly blurred lines outside their House?  Now, not only do they have all the good dirt from their last life, but they've also now got a totally different set of IC motivations.  They're almost an instant double-agent in a sense.

Sanvean

• My Website
Well perhaps
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2002, 08:36:17 PM »
If they're playing in the same location as the old character. My policy has always been to run the next character in a different location and get them away from old acquaintances, alliances, and emnities.