A message...

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, March 16, 2003, 01:30:53 AM

What does this mean?

the man instructs you in the skill of 'thinking'.
You have already mastered the basics in this area.

And I know...someone is going to say "It don't matter, play the game, who cares?"

Not the point.

I just wanna know. It can't possibly be IC.

Venomz - wants to know.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

he was trying to teach you the basics.

and you already know the basics.

So....  

it's like someone in grade 1 trying to teach his classmate of equal learning skill how to read.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
the man instructs you in the skill of 'thinking'.
You have already mastered the basics in this area.

It means you aren't the shiniest sword in the shed, and that poor sod took pity on you :P
Back from a long retirement

TEACH  (Character)  

This command allows your character to instruct another in the use of a skill or spell. The amount of knowledge imparted depends on the knowledge level of the student and the difference between the teacher's and the student's ability. The student must spend some time absorbing the new information before he or she can learn more.

Teaching only allows one to impart the 'basics' of a skill to someone; if they have already mastered the basics, then they must proceed to 'hands on' learning to gain additional insight.

To teach someone a skill they must already have the skill, and they must suck mightily at it.  If I were to pull numbers out of my ass, it might be that you can only teach people who have between 1% and 20% in the skill, if they know more than 20% they can learn no more from teaching, no matter how skilled the teacher.

It's like going to school.  When you are in elementary school they basically spoon feed you knowledge.  At some point they start making you generate original thoughts and projects rather than simply memorizing.  By the time you are in Post Graduate studies you are doing a lot of original work, with fewer structured classes.  It may culimate in having to write a massive book-like thesis, with your "teacher" merely overseeing your work and offering advice.  You can only learn so much by sitting there sucking it up, eventually you need to go out and get hands-on experience.

Hope that helps.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins