Drawing!

Started by , March 14, 2003, 10:04:35 PM

I think we need a drawing command. Like scribbling in the desert.
I get tired of carrying around blank scrolls then giving them to people and claiming there is a drawing on it and having to basically describe whats on it to them. Makes art and stuff really impossible without it.

Think it would be neat if you could write on papers with quill pens, slate and almost anything else with chalk, and then maybe whip up some paint type items. I know there are murals and stuff in places like Luirs, and lotsa charcoal drawings and paintings sold around Allanak. I think it would be a great addition.

Maybe something like:
draw scroll
EDITOR- type @ when finished.
[Drawing]
@

it would convert a blank scroll to something like- a scroll with drawings
Would make graffiti and all these street cleaners do something.
Like if you had chalk or charcoal you could start tagging a street.

draw room
EDITOR- type @ when finished.
[drawing]
@

look
Templars' Way [NS]
  Templars' Way stretches north and south through the very heart of
the crowded city. The road is made of large, black-colored stones,
coated with dust, dung, and other unsavory materials, and passes
under the Arena's morbid shadow, a gigantic structure standing to the
east against the night-darkened sky. The Commoners' Quarter, quieted
by the evening's advent, lies to the west.
  Some drawings have been scrawled over the floor here.

then to remove them you could 'clean room'
"You smudge away the markings." or something

i think its a really great idea. Maybe some poor commoner could make extra sids cleaning up all the masses of drawings that Im sure would start to pop up.

QuoteSCRIBBLE  (Communication)  

This command allows you to scribble a drawing. Currently this will only work in desert areas. It will tell you if there isn't enough sand. The possibility remains that we might add 'chalk' to allow you to scribble on walls and streets in the city.

You will provide what it is generally that you're trying to scribble, then you will be prompted to describe it in more detail. You have four lines to describe the scribble.

This is by no means a permanent change to the world, and the drawing will slowly fade away, so the more descriptive you are when you originally describe it, the more likely people will be able to recognize it as it fades.

This is not to be used to write messages or to directly cross language barriers. If you are caught abusing this command (and yes we can immediately associate a scribble with you) you will lose the ability to use it for the rest of your character's life.

This command is currently on probation, to test to see how abused it will be. If it turns out that more people abuse it than use it right, we will remove it entirely.

Syntax:

scribble <brief description>

Example:

> scribble an arrow pointing northwards
You start scribbling in the sand with your finger.

Enter a description for your scribble. (up to 4 lines)
Terminate with a '~'
Remember, describe the drawing, do NOT use this to write.
> The arrow is simply a straight line with an angled hat on top of it.
> The arrow is pointing northwards.
> ~

This will produce a object in the room that looks like:
An arrow pointing northwards is scribbled in the sand here.

If you look at the scribble, you will get:
The arrow is simply a straight line with an angled hat on top of it.
The arrow is pointing northwards.

Bad Example:

> scribble 'Bob was here'
You start scribbling in the sand with your finger.

Enter a description for your scribble. (up to 4 lines)
Terminate with a '~'
Remember, describe the drawing, do NOT use this to write.
> Yo man, what's up? Y can't I understand what U R saying, oh well
> Remember, 'Bob was here'
> ~
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

However Shinigami, scribble doesn't work when trying to draw on scrolls.

I personally would LOVE to see a draw command become opened up. I have SEVERAL ideas for an artist subguild and IMO it would make artists much more common (and they should be in Tuluk at least) and MUCH easier due to the fact it would no longer need Imm support.

I understand the Imms would be wary for the draw command due to the fact that it would be SO easy to abuse, so I propose that the draw command be limited to the artist subguild, and the artist subguild be Karma required.

This would allow cut down the amount of abuse A LOT and make it MUCH easier to monitor for Imms. A way for Imms to make it even more easily monitorable is to have a flag that whenever the draw command is entered, an entry goes into a file that they can look at to make sure no-one's abused it. They could also turn that flag off for people they don't feel they need to monitor anymore. A bit more coding granted, however it'd make it REALLY easy to monitor abusers.

My ideas for an artist subguild is to allow them to make canvas's and frames and paints and brushes, etc and when they're sold to NPCs the NPC buys it on the worth of the materials only. This would encourage people to sell to PCs, however not make an artists' life impossible.

What are everyone's thoughts and opinions? There are already some items implemented into the game, so the subguild wouldn't need TOO many extra items (which could be player-supplied) all that would need is for existing items to be made craftable.

Perhaps the length of the description (horrible metric, I know) could be used to determine the difficulty of creating the image.  This would be cool for carvings on wooden panels and such, as well.

A nice touch, Krelin.  

John, you, Champion of Trust in Players, would restrict drawing to karma-d players?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I don't see any point to limit drawing to players with karma.  Sure you can abuse it, but its doubtful if you can abuse it any more than using the say command to say "d00d wut is ur class"
Back from a long retirement

Everyone can draw no matter how poorly. Mine is actually intended for scribbling and grafitting in the rinth... and I dont expect Id need to have some artistic back ground to do such.

Quote from: "Lazloth"John, you, Champion of Trust in Players, would restrict drawing to karma-d players?
I figured that when considering whether or not to implement it, the Imms would consider how easy it could be to abuse. IIRC a drawing command idea has been suggested before and it was never implemented, so I suggested restricting it to Karma.

Quote from: "Scribble Helpfile"This command is currently on probation, to test to see how abused it will be. If it turns out that more people abuse it than use it right, we will remove it entirely.
That made me think that when scribble was implemented they were worried about abuse. The limitations they put on scribble made me definitely think it so I never suggested adding a draw command.

I personally would like everyone to be able to draw, but if the Imms are worried about abuse then I'd rather have it as a Karma command then not have it at all.

Quote from: "Jenred"Mine is actually intended for scribbling and grafitting in the rinth... and I dont expect Id need to have some artistic back ground to do such.
Oh okay then. It makes sense why Shinigami quoted the Scribble helpfile. I guess once Scribble is no longer on probation they'll implement the ability to scribble with chalk. :)

Quote from: "krelin"Perhaps the length of the description (horrible metric, I know) could be used to determine the difficulty of creating the image.
I don't like this idea too much. The reason is that when creating a scribble, even if you only scribble a few lines in the sand, it can be difficult to limit the description to 4 lines. Now no-one would call a few scribbles on a piece of paper difficult to make, but if you limited the length to X amount of lines, then it wouldn't matter if you were just doing scribbles or doing a masterpiece they'd be treated as the same.

Good idea though ;)

well dont get me wrong, I also want to be able to draw on paper with ink or charcoal to doodle or what not... but my funnest application was Gang tagging in the rinth... sorta a territorial claim.

Quote from: "Jenred"my funnest application was Gang tagging in the rinth... sorta a territorial claim.
Heh, that'd be nifty (and moreso if 'rinth rats had an ounce of literacy where you could scrawl TEK SUX BALLS, etc) .. but symbols work too.   Thumbs up!
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

IMO, A drawing command would be feasible, and would not have to be karma restricted.  All that would have to be done is have the code and an invisible account signature that only the Imms would be able to see. Make this fact well known.  That way if someone dcides to draw map saying "The location of Stinal is 6W, 17S, 2E, U (trust me the U is there), remember to speedwalk, there are spiders the whole way."  There would be an invisible tag on the paper that says who wrote it.  That person could then be dealt with accordingly.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Why not set it up in the manner of some other crafting skills? such as clothworking, jewelrymaking ect?

>Craft chalk scroll

>You could make
-a moderately detailed desert drawing.
-a chalk scribble of a Templar dealing punishment
-ect ect ect.

But instead of basing it on the materials you have, perhaps at different levels of skill, more options of what you could make becomes available to you. Say a beginner is restricted to so and so, while someone who's skill is higher is restricted to so, and so, and so.

When using chalks, on certain types of canvas, or paints, different types of drawings are allowed? Perhaps players can write up their ideas for paintings/drawings and send them to the account, where based on their complexity, they can be assigned a skill level and price?

Am I putting too much thought into it?  :oops:

I R KOOL, I like your idea best so far. We have acrobats and bards and scribblers and foragers and people who turn gems into jewelry and people who chop wood..

We have merchant stalls that sell canvas and ink and charcoal, and we have merchants who sell paintings and buildings with paintings in them. SOMEONE is doing all that painting.

I'd LOVE to see "draw" as an actual -craft skill-, with master artists able to submit logs of their work and have them turned into actual detailed objects. Lesser artists would have lists of things they could create - inks and chalks could come in different colors, pigments could be created with oh...lessee.. lamp oil and dye? Mek fat and dye? Kank fat and herbs and flowers that are heavily pigmented naturally maybe?

And then an artist could:

inv

You are holding
a long paint tray
a paintbrush
a canvas

exa tray
the tray contains a small amount of red, blue, green, purple, and black paint.

craft tray canvas
>But you aren't holding a paintbrush!

hold brush
OK.

craft tray canvas
With a paint tray and canvas, you could craft:
A still-life of a vase containing a bouquet of desert wildflowers
A stick drawing of a Templar taking a piss behind the Dragon Statue
A portrait of Lord Fancypants

AND!!!!!

If you're doing a portrait of someone specific...you could code it so if they're in the same room you're in, and "SUBMITted" to you...

A portrait of Suzie the Model.

And the description of the portrait would be Suzie's description, in whatever ldesc she has on. So the final work would be:

inv
You are carrying a portrait of Suzie the Model.
exa portrait
Suzie the Model is lounging naked here on a couch.
The svelte yet buxom woman has huge green eyes that pop out of her skull, six fingers on her right hand, and two left hands extended from an over-thick wrist. Her breasts are amazingly impressive especially considering that she has three of them.
She is wearing:
Primary wrist: an obsidian band.

-She who has all kinds of wierd ideas going around in her brain today

DrunkenSalarr, good point on how to monitor it. If anything, I'd just like to see scribble expanded to cover all of these purposes, but only allow it in city areas with the right tools. Yes, I'd also like to be able to erase things too. That way, when people write TEK SUX BALLS, someone can waltz in (With the right tools) Erase TEK, and write whatever they want. Things like that... you know..

Tony, the code for this is already there. It would work like Tattoos, you just draw over it.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Oh, cool. Now I feel silly  :oops:

I really like bestatte's idea about the creation.

I'm sort of torn though.. I'd love the items to be craftable, possibly even salable, but I like the idea of being able to do something originally. Although it'd be nice if there was a subguild of artist.. maybe: painting, sculpting, ceramics

Where you could do stuff in painting like mix dyes with a lump of fat to make paint. so:
>craft dye fat
You could craft that into yellow paint.

>craft linen branch branch branch branch
You could craft that into a large linen canvas

>craft yellow silver green canvas
You could craft that into a large painting of a pymlithe tree.

>craft painting plank silver
You could craft that into a silver-framed painting of a pymlithe tree.

But in order to utilize the skill, you'd need the right tools.. i.e. a brush.
Same with sculpture, you'd need to be holding a chisel.

>craft blocky
You could craft that into a white marble statuette of a kank.
You could craft that into a white marble egg.

and with ceramics:
craft clay red
You could craft that into a red-painted ceramic plate.

I don't know if this would be a powerful subguild though... maybe make it merchant-only skills? I could see a rich merchant or noble having more time to practice these sorts of past-times. And I could much more see a rich merchant or noble practicing these skills than say.. armorcrafting.

Maybe add a few new subguilds..
artist: painting, dyemaking
sculptor: sculpting, ceramics
lt;Varak> "If my theory proves correct, weezers and dwarves, due to their similar evolutionary environment, should join in a symbiotic relationship in extended isolation."

Quote from: "Meep"
But in order to utilize the skill, you'd need the right tools.. i.e. a brush.
Same with sculpture, you'd need to be holding a chisel.

I'd rather have it like most crafts where having an appropriate tools improves your chance of success, but you can try it with virtual or improvised tools.  There is nothing wrong with fingerpainting, or using scraps of rags to paint.  And you always have the option of using virtual tools.  Only the most intricate and specialized projects absolutely require a certain tool with no possiblity of completing the project without it.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I'd love to see the idea for a drawing command for canvases and such, and an update for scribble to include chalk and such in cities and such places.

If all else fails they can have the same exact restrictions as scribbling. Personally I'd hate to see things like that restricted like the craft command. Code wise, those things have to be that way really. The only other way would take alot of coding to make it so you can make your own descriptions and such, and the code take care of how good it is, and that could cause troubles because you don't know how good you are so you can't tell how good or bad an arrow shaft or piece of jewelry is.

Drawing, I think is one of the things that can't really be coded very well. Kind of like playing instruments. Would you want that completely coded? I don't think I'll play a musician, but personally I think if it was hard coded it'd be really restrictive. The arts are something that never really has a value except from each persons different perspective.

Personally, I think it can be done fairly well. Make it a skill, give it to anyone. The only thing the skill is for is for how much it sells to NPC merchants, along with the the items it's made out of.

And you can already make coded sculptures with the craft command. I think that'd be better off in a similar code. Let people make their own descriptions... I don't know. I hate seeing the arts being coded... It makes it really restrictive and doesn't allow for any creativity unless you send in items to be created, which means a staff member has to spend time making that item as well.

Creeper who just doesn't like seeing artistic skills that don't use any creativity.
21sters Unite!

Creativity can be gained by submitting items. Perhaps they could make it so that only the people you teach can make some things that you submit. I could certainly see them as a craftsman trade, though. That'd rock.

I would rather not have the idea in, then have it the way where its like a craft. Id like to be able to draw to my hearts content, not realize I can only draw a tree or something :) And it kinda takes out the ability to use the writing on the room.

Yes, like I said you CAN submit items, but most the time people don't MASS PRODUCE one item. Most the time, sculptures, drawings, paintings and such, are done on a whim for practice or are done by commission. I think if you look into histories past which well give an insight at least to a human mind, they don't spend constant time on ONE thing. Why submit and item which means a staff member has to add it into the game, when your only going to craft it once.

Right now, the only sections in the crafting code is done by clan. If your in this clan they have certain special items that can be crafted. It isn't done character by character. So it'd probably be a major code change to seperate things between characters. Also, if your teaching someone the basics of drawing, why should that allow them to the option to perfectly copy your masterpeices when they get the skill?

Perhaps I'm alittle too sensitive on the subject. Yes it'd be probably easier to copy someones art work with a code to write your own descriptions and such, but I don't see it commonly happening. People RP their skill with instruments, people RP their charismatic skills, people RP all sorts of things. Why can't they RP their characters creativity? And considering it'd wouldn't probably be beneficial to make repeated copies of the same thing... People wouldn't be flooding the market, so not every Joe, Dick and Harry can get a hold of a piece of your art work.

Creeper who feels he's much to sensitive on the subject and is shutting up.
21sters Unite!

only way Id really like drawing/painting as a craft was if there were litterally 100s of things to make. Otherwise everyone is making similar things that are pretty much identical and there is no room for creativitiy.

Like I might be an insane person that gets vision of black sands and a full giant leading an army of veiled armless dwarves over them. Now to remember and show people I might want to draw a picture of it. Now that doesnt seem like something thatd id be able to do a craft-type thing of.

And that was just an example.

An easy way to apply this skill would be to allow people in the lower percenatge brackets a few lines, those further up more lines, and so on, until one could draw ten or fifteen line paintings.

Each time you draw, you gain skill. Becuase there is no way to fail gaining skill, this gaining should happen slowly. The limit of lines indicates the amount of experience that you have doing this shit.

EXAMPLE)
A newbie could draw the following.
l painting of A forest
A line drawn here, and many arrowish shapes pushing up from the line, are all painted in green. [two lines for Newbies]

A master could do this.
l painting of a forest
Trees, lush and vibarant, burst from the ground in this painting. Blah balh balh [fifteen lines]

And yes, you should have to have an item to hand, like soap. It wears out, so you gotta get more.

Also, the skill would apply to the city rooms. In the city rooms, you could draw whatever, whereever. Also, underground, in forests...anywhere but barren flats and sandy wastes. Oh, and salt flats..but then, an artist in the flats...*grin* Not good.

Also, the price the item would be bought for ranges upwards from 5 sid for one line to 20000 for fifteen liners. Masters could obtain the highest price, of course, and some coin added for each line and for the skill of the maker...etc....

Venomz - likely never be a painter.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870