Religion

Started by creeper386, March 13, 2003, 05:20:16 PM

It has been my understanding that the general bent of the vast majority of people in Zalanthas (the two city-states basically) are non-deist in nature.

Whether that is atheist or spiritualist would be up to individual cultures.

The city-states themselves are ruled by ruthless sorcerer-kings with incredible powers at their disposal.  Their every whim enforced as law by the Templarate and military.  Knowing what little I do of the power of the sorcerer-kings of Zalanthas, I would suppose they would be looked upon as powerful demi-gods in their own right.  They (seemingly) live forever and have absolute power over vast areas and unthinkable resources of Zalanthas.

My understanding of Allanak is that Tektolnes is paid quasi-religious homage to by much of the population, especially after his total destruction of a dwarven army which completely surrounded the city in a long seige at one point.  It was after this that the steel dragon at the gate was put up and the 'Cult of the Dragon Tektolnes' was founded in Allanak.

In Tuluk, Muk Utep was a warlord with mighty powers who laid claim to the region of the Gol Krathu and founded his city there after 'The Dragon's' mysterious disappearance from Zalanthas.  Many, many years later, 'The Dragon' supposedly returned and attacked Tuluk, ravaging a large portion of the commons of Old Tuluk.  Somehow, Muk Utep managed to fend off the Dragon's fury, and save his city and people.  I don't know if its in the documentation or not, but having been a player when old Tuluk was still around, I know that the Sun King was considered a mighty King and hero to many in the city-state.  Not necessarily worshipped, but certainly paid a quasi-religious homage to.

Throughtout Zalanthas are many other cultures with their own understanding of the vast powers of the Cosmos.  There are creation myths and deities, or spiritual powers which must be 'appeased'.

It is my understanding from the documentation that most 'civilized' people don't have a concept of an 'afterlife'.  You live; you die.  That's pretty much it.
Some, however believe in reincarnation or in some idea of a paradise after life for those of good intent (loyal citizens?), and the hell-pits of Suk-Krath for those who go against the will of the mighty powers that be.  Why?  Well, if they weren't MEANT to be in power, they wouldn't be.  Going against the Kings or other forces of rulership in Zalanthas is tantamount to going against the will of whatever eternal force or forces one would believe in...if one believes in any.

No doubt there are forces beyond the mundane in Zalanthas, and most people have some measure of belief in these powers.  Magickers manipulate them to their own will, as to the sorcerer-kings and the spiritual forces....if such exist.

I guess that's about it for my vomitous outpour.  :twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Also, as far as afterlife, some people have referred to a plane? of death as Drov.. i.e. He has gone to Drov. Part of this reasoning might be a kick message (Your kick to the <whatever> kidneys sends him to Drov!)

Different tribes, both human and elf believe other things about afterlives and religions.. some even have creation myths. I guess in cities, it's a little different because compared to living in the outside world, cities are a relatively easier life for most people. They don't have to rely on luck to get food (just go to a tavern or store), most don't have daily rituals to perform out of tradition or otherwise. Tribes seem to be very communal based, while citizens of city states are more or less individualistic so religion (if they even believe something) is likely to be individualistic as well.
lt;Varak> "If my theory proves correct, weezers and dwarves, due to their similar evolutionary environment, should join in a symbiotic relationship in extended isolation."