Religion

Started by creeper386, March 13, 2003, 05:20:16 PM

Okay, here I am on this same subject again, and I'm just wondering one thing this time.

Quote from: "deviant storm"Yeah, I know Tek and Muk are worshipped to some extent by those living in their cities. But people rarely attend devotions or that sort of thing. It's more 'ok, I better do what they say or some templar might punish me'.
At least, that's how it is in Allanak.

Okay... Whoever wrote this, do you people agree with this? I personally would NOT agree with this what so ever, and feel it's a misconception because most PCs don't go on morning devotions or so any religous convictions towards the local sorcerer-king.

I do know the Militia tends to try and make the religion thing more prominent... And I've always felt most the population DOES worship Teknoltes, or Mek or what not, and it's not just a once in awhile, bow your head towards the steel statue at the gate.

Thats another thing... People just constantly pass that STEEL statue like it's nothing... SURE it's been there for a long time... But a big hunk of a VERY rare material, in the shape of a big dragon that saved your city and runs the whole place... Would hardly become common place that you don't  notice it.

Creeper, who wonders if anyone ever tried to steal[edit: sorry for this ONE word mistake that just made my post worthless. My appoligies] bits and pieces of the dragon...
21sters Unite!

Something to put straight here.

First, that's me you're quoting. It's impolite not to credit someone if you quote them.

Second:

Steel= the metal. Steal=taking another person's possession.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Okay WTF... The post I took that quote of was somewhat long and your post wasn't at the end. I forgot who it was. No big deal.

And I know the difference between steel and steal. Even I make mistakes. No need to make a post just to point out a small mistake when it's in a thread trying to bring up a logical and worthwhile discussion. I can see something like that in a joking thread or something, but I'm acctually trying to ask a question here.

And sure, I'm probably side tracking the post more by making this post... but it's rather worthless to make a post just to point out someones mistake.

Creeper who is now going to edit his post so it's not so distracting to people.
21sters Unite!

I think especially in Allanak, Tek is worshipped as a god, but I also tend to think of Zalanthian society (north and south) as polytheistic, with the pantheon of Gods including Whira, Vivadu, Drov, Suk-Krath, Ruk, and so on...  I think the sorceror kings are sort of like demi-gods...

Quote from: "krelin"I think especially in Allanak, Tek is worshipped as a god, but I also tend to think of Zalanthian society (north and south) as polytheistic, with the pantheon of Gods including Whira, Vivadu, Drov, Suk-Krath, Ruk, and so on...  I think the sorceror kings are sort of like demi-gods...

I completely disagree.  I think that most people within the city states are strict monotheist and worship their god-king.  At best, they might also believe that the god-king of the opposing city state is a lesser evil god like Satan in the Christian religion.  I think that worship of the elements is nonexistent outside of magikers and tribal folk.  I believe that references to whira and the like are more like the same way we might refer to 'mother nature'.  It isn't so much many people believe in a sentient god that represents nature.  It is more just a personification of a natural force.  In Zalanthas these personifications are slightly more developed, but I still believe that worship is nearly nonexistent except outside of magikers, tribal people, and the occasional cult (that the templars quickly put down).

I believe that people generally don't suspect the God-Kings as being just really powerful sorcerers.  I believe that most people think that they are gods.  I am forced to actually agree with creeper and say that I believe that most Allanaki citizens are fanatical in their worship of Tek.  I mean, why would you not worship him?  He controls the city, which as far as most people are concerned IS all there is for civilization.  The Templars enforce his will and daily give testament to his power both in words and deeds.  Anyone who has seen a Templar fight knows how much power they have.  Anyone who has not seen one fight has certainly heard stories.  Further, if you had any doubt about his divinity, you needs to simply look at the giant steel statue sitting over the city.  Considering the value of steel, it is hard to doubt ol' Tek's godliness.

Quote from: "krelin"I think especially in Allanak, Tek is worshipped as a god, but I also tend to think of Zalanthian society (north and south) as polytheistic, with the pantheon of Gods including Whira, Vivadu, Drov, Suk-Krath, Ruk, and so on...  I think the sorceror kings are sort of like demi-gods...

Blasphemy!  Good Northern folk would never worship such magickal related elementals! :)

Even Tulukis mention them, but never ascribe any sort of religious thought or worship to them.  Maybe thats something those wacky Allanakis with their "temples" would do, heh.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Is there a temple to Tektolnes is Allanak which is accessible by commoners?

There are two.  The Temple of the Dragon is at the end of Caravan Road, oustide of Meleth's Circle.  There is another, smaller temple at the end of Arena Road, as well.
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

Am I the only one who thinks that creation myths and philosophy are intregral to a religion? What is the religion's creed? In a pre-science world, superstition abounds. What do people think causes natural phenomena? What does their religion say is right and wrong? Do we have helpfiles on these things?

QuoteFirst, that's me you're quoting. It's impolite not to credit someone if you quote them.

I'm sure he regrets it, as it is, indeed, a grand and terrible sin.

Anyway ...

Once when I was in the T'zai Byn, there was an elf and a half-giant plotting to steal the black dragon from the main gates. I'd sneak in and hide in the 'secret place' and wait for them to come in and discuss the plan with each other... the plan was pretty creative, though the half-giant died in the 'rinth and the elf died to the gith.

I've seen other people come up with plans to snag a steel tooth or a piece of the wing, though nothing ever comes of it... but it does prove people notice it ICly and see it for what it is. I think the main reason no one from Allanak goes goggle-eyed when they pass is because it is a well-known sign of Allanaki power. I suppose it could be devine power, though I've never been able to picture Allanak as a place where people worship the king... unless a templars looking at them.

Then again, Templars are referred to as warrior-priests in the docs, so you never know.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "deviant storm"Yeah, I know Tek and Muk are worshipped to some extent by those living in their cities. But people rarely attend devotions or that sort of thing. It's more 'ok, I better do what they say or some templar might punish me'.
At least, that's how it is in Allanak.

I'd disagree.  The daytime desc of the room with the steel dragon in it shows that there are people from all ladders of society out worshipping the image all day long.

I'm sure its heartfelt too, kinda like worshipping God in an Old Testament sort of way.

Quote from: "Callisto"I suppose it could be devine power, though I've never been able to picture Allanak as a place where people worship the king... unless a templars looking at them.

I think something that is very hard for people is to get out of the Earth mindset.  Zalanthas is a VERY different place when it comes to religion.  Why?  As far as everyone is concerned, the gods walk in the flesh and take an active interest in the affairs of mortals.  Further, the gods have no qualms about setting right exactly what their word means when someone starts preaching the wrong thing.  On Earth, it was very easy for various 'gods' to compete, mostly because the gods of Earth never really laid down the law.  Sure, every religion has stories of divine intervention, and most religions believe that god(s) is taking at least some sort of role in human kind, but they never do anything definitive.  No earthly god ever gives such a display of tangibility and power that even the most skeptical can not help but agree that that is indeed the true god.

In Zalanthas, the gods are VERY tangible and display their power often.  I imagine that the average Zalanthas citizen would ridicule an earthly religion as being a stupid fairly tail.  To them, it would be ridicules to worship a god that never gives a clear display of its divine power.  To them, our religions would be silly in the same way we find ancient Greek religions that talk about the gods sitting atop Mt. Olympus as being too silly to believe.  They would likely mock the Judeo-Christian followers as being gullible idiots for following a pretend god that never makes any show of force, never clearly declares its well for the people, doesn't have any agents who are instilled with its divine powers, has no true enforces of its will, and never provides material wealth, food, water, or defense.  In other words, to a practical minded Zalanthian citizen, our gods are worthless and weak.  They offer absolutely no tangible advantage, while the 'real' gods offer very clear tangible perks.

The funny thing is that these 'real' gods don't care anything about what our Earthly gods are reported to care about.  Zalanthas God-Kings are very practical gods with very practical rewards for worship.  They don't pepper you with creation myths and promises of immortality after you die (and for the record, a good afterlife is a relatively new concept in Earth religions).  All that the Zalanthas God-Kings do is very practical in its nature.  God Kings might want worship, but more importantly, they want obsidian.  They want armies.  They want YOU, a common citizen, to help support the ruling class and accept your station in life below them.  And why not accept the way god has decreed you should live?  The reward for worship is very high.  Namely, you get the privilege of living in the only bastion of civilization.  Water and food will be provided, high walls will protect you, militia will serve to keep away the worst of the criminals, and templars will deal with the many terrible supernatural forces that threaten the hardworking people of the lower classes.  As far as any citizen of the city states are concerned, the only thing between them and the untold horrors of the waterless wastes and the horrible evil magik that stalks the world outside of the gates is their God King.  As far as any citizen of a city state is concerned (especially in the south), the God King provides everything needed for life, and without the God King Tektolnes to protect them, everything dies and Allanak crumbles.  Without their God King, there is no civilized life.

The God Kings are such an integral part of the lives of the average citizen that I imagine most citizens would have a fanatical following.  A God King is a living god whose benefits and powers can not be denied.  I imagine that other forms of religion stand absolutely not chance against such a tangible religion.  I also am fairly sure that any cult that did manage to gain followers would be quickly put down by the Templars.  Simply put, other religions don't stand a chance within the walls of a city state.

As to how people actually worship, one has to keep in mind that the God Kings are very practical.  Sure, they want folks to do some good old fashion praying, and they want you to give thanks to their idols (like the steel dragon).  This is a way of showing your loyalty and devotion.  More then that though, they want you to upkeep and maintain the greatest symbol of a God King – his city and his empire.  Everyone from the lowly potter to the soldier can play a role in serving his God King.  Ones role might be nothing more glamorous then doing ones daily duties to make more pots.  A soldier has the more honorable job of keeping the peace and spreading the just and good rule of his god king.  In my mind, the most important piece of God King worship is the respect of the class system and doing one's duty to build and defend the empire at all costs.  Reporting your neighbor as a magiker would something considered just and honorable.  'Talking' with someone who fails to show proper respect to nobility might also be considered a highly moral and good act.  Basically, anything that supports the powers that be, I imagine would be considered proper worship of the God King.  The more important the act and the greatest self sacrifice, the more of a showing of faith in your god king.

The final component to consider when talking of God King worship is fear.  The God Kings rule on the promise of a long life (relative to everyone else) and safety.  For those that don't find this benefits enough, there is the simple fact that the God Kings can enforce their will through the terrible power of the Templars and the militia.  If doing your good duty to support the city and powers which keep you alive is not enough, then terror of the magik wielding templars should squash any thoughts that God King worship is not the ideal religion.  As far as most citizens are concerned, agents of the God King are everywhere.  They have powers you can't even begin to understand... terrible and horrifying powers that can do the worst your imagination can come up with.  Safety and protection should be enough to keep you worshiping, but should that fail you, then stark terror should keep the average citizen moving with his head down.

What do Zalanthas think created the world?

Quote from: "God"What do Zalanthas think created the world?

You know  I've always considered that level of transcendental thought to be foreign to most Zalanthans.

Just as hard as it would be for us to grasp a theory that our world was never created but just always was.  The concept of a beginning is intrinsic to our way of thinking.

Quote from: "CRW"Just as hard as it would be for us to grasp a theory that our world was never created but just always was.  The concept of a beginning is intrinsic to our way of thinking.

What about those of us who believe the world never was?  

Lazloth, solipsist for hire
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

If the humans of Zalanthas aren't curious or creative enough to come up with explanations for natural phenomena, then you can't technically call them human. Religion and the concept of a creator is universal among humans, from the far-off, isolated islands to the large civilizations. I see no reason why they would be unable to think about that.

When a Zalanthian sees a sandstorm, he doesn't think that the wind turbelence is picking up or whatever. If he sees a lightning bolt, he doesn't think that its just the static electricity of the clouds or something. Would he think that the wind Goddess is displeased, or that his emperor is angry? Where does he think the sun comes from?

I would guess that most of these things can be blamed on mages, just as they were blamed on magic in Earth, only it would make even more sense in Zalanthas, because magic is real. The sandstorms could be blamed on mages, lightning on mages, the heavenly bodies(sun, moon, stars) seem pretty mystical, and most things seem mystical to the primitives when you think of it.

On another side-note, how does New Tuluk get water if they have no elementalists making it? Does it rain, up there?

Quote from: "God"What do Zalanthas think created the world?

I think that they realize that they can't have the answer to that question.  I think for the average Zalanthas citizen they know that there used to be an extremely powerful great civilization that is no longer.  The Dragon wiped it out, and the God Kings came and picked up the pieces.  I imagine most people realize that a lot was lost.  For them, history starts after the Dragon came and left, and the world ended.  So, to answer the question, I imagine they believe the Dragon created the ravaged world they live in.  How the world before the wasteland they live in now came to be is something I imagine they would assume is just another piece of lost knowledge.

Of course, all the above is just my opinion.

That's a good point of view, Rindan - but as much as the citizens might believe the king is a god, the wide-spread and often times obvious corruption wouldn't go unnoticed. I've had more then my share of Allanaki characters devoted to the king and in truth, almost every last one of them ended up being a rebel to some degree due to the corruption that almost always results in the death or suffering of a friend/loved one.

So unless the masses of citizens are very stupid, I think a good many of them would come to realize the system isn't in place to protect the whole of the people of the empire, just the ones who rule it.

No matter how bred to serve the common masses would be, I still can't imagine the people would be completely blind to the corruption, no matter how common it might be. I think it still comes down to the people serving more out of sheer fear then any sense of devotion.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I think creation myths would vary from culture to culture. I know that in the desert elf tribal documentation that I've worked on, creation myths definitely come into play.

As for your average Zalanthan, I'm not sure. I agree that it's an interesting thing to ponder. I think that in a world such as Zalanthas with cultures as varied and diffuse, there's probably room for many different explanations. Feel free to come up with one for your PC and start spreading it around. Maybe it will catch;)

Water of Tuluk:
There's an IC explanation. That's all I'll say.
ack to retirement for the school year.

Quote from: "Callisto"So unless the masses of citizens are very stupid, I think a good many of them would come to realize the system isn't in place to protect the whole of the people of the empire, just the ones who rule it.
That or they just might not care. Remember, YOU are probably influencing your characters to a degree, because you know that life can be better then it is. Most people don't know that. To them the ONLY way to advance in life is to go with the flow and look out for yourself only.

Then again, rebelling against Allanak isn't unheard of and probably common in certain areas (such as the 'rinth). Red Storm itself is formed from rebelling famers, so I imagine that it's quite realistic to play characters who go against the grain.

As for creation myths. Why not believe that the world has just always existed?

That sounds reasonable enough, if thats actually how the average Zalanthian thinks and people agree with that. I daresay that different tribes/religions/races should have different ideas.

An isolated tribe would probably evolve some separate beliefs. They could evolve worship for the useful skill of elemental magic, or worship of the sun, or water. To a tribe, a person who can create water or stir up wind or whatever elementalists do would be very valuable and cherished indeed.

I think a few mysterious, persecuted cults would be pretty interesting. That's one of the reasons I asked about the water. People might be inclined to worship the source of the lifeblood of the land, water. In Allanak, I think its pretty easy for the general population to see that there is a difference between defilers and elementalists, and more discerning people could discover that they are the source of water. Some reasonable people might decide to hold elementalists above other normal people.

Another idea for a cult is one that holds <insert race> above all the other races, and preaches that they are destined to rule the world, the elves are abominations, and blah blah blah.

I realize that a cult would have to be started ICly, and that it would be a huge task, but self-styled "prophets" and visionaries start cults all the time, and they have throughout history. Look at Joseph Smith for a successful example.

Food for thought, anyway.

What are the Zalanthians thoughts on an afterlife? If they have no concept of hell, its no wonder they are often so evil and unjust.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Zalanthans to view the elements (whira, ruk, etc.) as lesser deities. And in Allanak, they even have temples. Perhaps people think their sorceror-king has minions controlling the elements for him. Maybe he even does.

In a tribal culture, elemental worship might be even more common. I always did think it strange that with all the other forces of nature being named, if not revered (even lightning) that there's no common lore surrounding the moons. Just think how much lore has surrounded our own moon, and we only have one.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

My post was responding to Rindan's.

QuoteWhy not believe that the world has just always existed?
What you're saying is that the humans of Zalanthas lack the cognition or intelligence to understand the concept of cause and effect. I was under the impression that these humans were actually homo sapiens, like us. Thus, it makes sense that they would come up with explanations for phenomena, and eventually come up with religion. Humans are a curious people.

Quote from: "God"That sounds reasonable enough, if thats actually how the average Zalanthian thinks and people agree with that. I daresay that different tribes/religions/races should have different ideas.

An isolated tribe would probably evolve some separate beliefs. They could evolve worship for the useful skill of elemental magic, or worship of the sun, or water. To a tribe, a person who can create water or stir up wind or whatever elementalists do would be very valuable and cherished indeed.

I would say that it is safe to say that many tribals, nomads, probably do not follow any god king religion.  That said, it is very possible that the god kinds (and perhaps more importantly) The Dragon would very likely be included one way or another.  To them they might be evil sorcerers, evil gods, or some other power, but they would almost certainly have their myths and beliefs about them unless they are very isolated.  Tribal folks are pretty free in terms of what they can believe.  Pretty much anything under the sun seems like it would fit.

As to tribal magikers, keep in mind that Zalanthas has suffered some serious catastrophes at the hands of magikers.  Magikers are sort of like nuclear power.  They have their perks, but not everyone likes having nuke plants around, and ever few people would want to live next to one.  A magiker is a very dangerous person.  Sure, they can create water, but they can also turn your blood into poison.  Even if there had not been terrible catastrophes brought by magikers, people are naturally going to be fearful of something so powerful that they can't control.

I am not saying that some tribes would not respect and revere magikers.  Tribes certainly have been known for having ways of dealing with magikers that are both good and bad for the magiker in question.  I just want to point out that it is not a given that a guy who can make water is going to be welcomed with open arms, especially when he can also cause your blood to boil in your veins.  Just always keep in mind that magikers are hideously powerful no matter how to slice it, and that Zalanthas has a history that does not make magikers the heroes.

QuoteI think a few mysterious, persecuted cults would be pretty interesting. That's one of the reasons I asked about the water. People might be inclined to worship the source of the lifeblood of the land, water. In Allanak, I think its pretty easy for the general population to see that there is a difference between defilers and elementalists, and more discerning people could discover that they are the source of water. Some reasonable people might decide to hold elementalists above other normal people.

I actually think that most people would have a very hard time telling the difference between the two.  Sure, one leaves ash and the other doesn't.  So what?  That doesn't mean that those magikers are not up to something terrible.  Remember what awesome power magikers have.  They are completely worthy of your fear.  You have no idea if they are consuming your soul, and even if you did know one was, you would have no way to stop it.  The average Allanaki is not understanding to the plight of magikers.  They fear those gemmed beasts with all their hearts and make every attempt to avoid them.  Only the fact that the Templars have them on a leash makes their presence even tolerable.  In Tuluk, magikers, no mater what the type, are killed on site.

As to water, you bring up a good point.  Water would be something that is held very high.  If you live in Allanak, guess where your water comes from?  Every time an Allanaki goes to get water they go to a Temple and are given water by a white robed templar (priest).  This reinforces the image that good old Tek is the guy who protects you and keeps you safe.

Within elementalist circles I imagine you would have a lot more elemental worship.  Other then that though, I think within city states most elementalist type religions would be confined to small cults.  It probably goes without saying that anything that competes with Tek worship that gets to big is going to have some templars pay a visit.

QuoteWhat are the Zalanthians thoughts on an afterlife? If they have no concept of hell, its no wonder they are often so evil and unjust.

Zalanthians in the city states tend to very often to not believe in an afterlife.  This actually is not as strange as it sounds.  Our modern religions all have gone towards some sort of utopian like afterlife for good people, but some ancient religions did not have one, or if they did have one, it was not a pleasant place to be no matter how good you were.  The average Zalanthian would rightly be terrified of death and cling to life very tightly.  I imagine this only bolsters the control a god king has, as the god kings provide very practical necessities for life.  If you think this one life is it, then worshiping a god that will help you live a little longer by offering water, safety, and shelter is not an entirely bad idea.  

That said, I have seen a lot of character, especially those fanatically devote to a god king, have a strong belief in honor and the idea of an honorable death.  Essentially, they act with the notion that if they die doing great deeds for their god king, they get some sort of quasi immortality by being remembered as a great person who died for their god king.

All of the above said, these are all just what I personally envision the average city state mindset to be.  There will always be tribal people moving into the city states, and I imagine that they might cling to their beliefs for a few generations before it fades away.  Further, people outside of the city states could have radically different beliefs.

QuoteIf the humans of Zalanthas aren't curious or creative enough to come up with explanations for natural phenomena, then you can't technically call them human. Religion and the concept of a creator is universal among humans, from the far-off, isolated islands to the large civilizations. I see no reason why they would be unable to think about that.

"God" wrote that, so Im not jumped on by the quote nazi's.
Anyways, I know a good many people (in real life mind you) that cant wrap their minds around alot of advanced thinking, like the "chicken or the egg" thing, etc. Zalanthans are very uneducated, base, down-to-earth people, advanced thinking like the creation of the world I think would confuse alot of them, as even rational thinking in the world is probably rare and very odd thing, I mean who can put any sort of rationale behind a world filled with magic, legends of dragons, evil demons, and all sort.

I'd be afraid to even ask a Templar, (a groupd Id considered the most educated; academy, etc.) such a question because if they didnt answer in the standard run of the mill "Highlord" answer, they'd probably kill me for asking a question they couldnt answer.

I mean picture a world with no telescopes, no way to look beyond your current surroundings. Back in Columbus's day even, which is far more advanced then Zalanthas, they believed you could fall off the edge of the world. Now imagine asking whats outside the known world to your common Gaj-er? They probably wouldnt understand because 'outside the known world' is a sort of paradox... like whats outside everything you know... and THEN to add upon that how was it created... well jeez, shoot me because If I was a Zalanthan Id have no clue.

Now to address the second part... the idea of a creator might be universal, but such thought might be considered blasphemous. History is well-guarded, and alterable. Very few people will know of things you can read in the history about the nomadic tribes coming to Vrun Driath and Gol Krathu, or anything prior to Quintus's creation of Allanak, which marks the creation of his world really. There are no historical southern documents... well publicly, maybe privately, and you hear very little of the gypsy/tribal form of passing down stories... maybe in Tuluk.

Anyways... seems im rambling now, and Ive made this long enough I doubt very many people will read it. Sorry :P