Another question....

Started by drunkendwarf, March 13, 2003, 12:12:57 PM

Heh, here's another one for ya guys:

My character gets the skill 'cooking'. Is the learning curve on this skill insane or something? I've probably tried 20-25 times and been successsful -ONCE-.

one thing about the crafting skills, everything depends on the difficulty of what you are trying to make.  Just because it shows up when you get your craft list, doesn't mean it's easy.  It simply means that you have a chance of making it.  

For example:
I can cook ramen noodles, and I can bake a cake.  Now. Just because I can bake the cake, doesn't mean that I can do it every time, just that it is possible.  In fact, I suck at baking and would probably burn the damn cake 99.98% of the time.  I only mess up ramen when I'm in the middle of something important in game, and I forget that I'm cooking.

So, think about what it is you are trying to cook, and think about the difficulty of it.  Perhaps you should try something simpler?

Drunken Salarr, who is currently enjoying the oddest meal he has ever had.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

How good your cooking skill is depends on your guild a -lot-. A warrior may never be any good at it, for example, practice as you may. Experience will lead you to find what main guilds and subguilds are better and worse at it, as will common sense much of the time.

Hope thats helpful.
 great evil walks Zalanthas...
Master Z has arrived from the west!

And if you tried 25 times in a row you'd probably fail alot more then... failing a few times. Thinking about it and trying it again later. Seems to work, much like crafting or fighting.

It wasn't 25 times in a row...this is spread out over many RL days.
And I'm just trying to make a freakin' scrab steak, nuthin' fancy.

You are playing a Dwarf - what do you expect, Emeril Legasse?  Cooking a steak is not simple at all, either in real life, or in Zalanthas, especially for someone who has spent much of his life learning EVERYTHING about a scant few topics revolving around his focus.

Quote from: "DrunkenSalarr"Drunken Salarr, who is currently enjoying the oddest meal he has ever had.
Which is..?

Lazloth, who is currently quite hungry and fishing for ideas.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Lazloth"
Quote from: "DrunkenSalarr"Drunken Salarr, who is currently enjoying the oddest meal he has ever had.
Which is..?

Lazloth, who is currently quite hungry and fishing for ideas.

Well, at the time I was eating:
    Bacon
    Fried Pickles
    and Strawberry Italian Ice
All quite seperate from one another, and eaten in that order
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

That is certainly odd.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "gfair"You are playing a Dwarf - what do you expect, Emeril Legasse?  Cooking a steak is not simple at all, either in real life, or in Zalanthas, especially for someone who has spent much of his life learning EVERYTHING about a scant few topics revolving around his focus.

Umm, no actually I'm a human warrior/hunter.

Kinda the same question here.  Is a char. who chose domestic skills more likely to develop faster cooking skills than another char?  I was kinda dissapointed to learn everyone gets some cooking skills.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: "gfair"You are playing a Dwarf - what do you expect, Emeril Legasse?  Cooking a steak is not simple at all, either in real life, or in Zalanthas, especially for someone who has spent much of his life learning EVERYTHING about a scant few topics revolving around his focus.

Unless it was a dwarf whose focus was to become the Known World's Greatest Chef!  I know the original poster already said he's not a dwarf, but I wanted to add that anyway.   8)  

Quote from: "My 2 sids"Kinda the same question here.  Is a char. who chose domestic skills more likely to develop faster cooking skills than another char?  I was kinda dissapointed to learn everyone gets some cooking skills.

Yes, your guild/subguild will affect how good you are when you start, how fast you learn, and how good you can get (skill max).  Most people know Rangers are better at riding and skinning than other guilds, a half-elven ranger can ride pretty well right from hour one.  It's the same with cooking, some guilds (and subguilds) are naturally much more suited to cooking, warriors are notoriously bad at it . . . which may explain the imfamous Byn stew.   :P  Everyone gets some cooking skills, and eventually can learn to make a reasonable steak and potato, er, tuber supper.  Cooking is something that most people have at least a little experience with just like our world, not everyone is a good cook but most of us can manage to boil an egg and make toast.  

Ranger Bob may be out of town for weeks or months at a time, you don't want him to have to eat raw meat, do you?   :shock:  He'd get tape worms and stuff.  And what are Salt Worms but over grown intestinal worms that have eaten their original host?   Ok, I don't know that for certain, but look at the size of the freaking beetles!   And the spiders too.  Do you really want to bet your life on the chance that intestinal worms are the one critter that does not grow to unusual size in Zalanthas?  I know I don't.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

A warrior will never be good at crafting.  Get used to those shriveled masses of burnt meat.  If it bothers you that much, then be a ranger next character.  They fare much better.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"A warrior will never be good at crafting.  Get used to those shriveled masses of burnt meat.  If it bothers you that much, then be a ranger next character.  They fare much better.

Ok so my warrior won't ever be able to cook real good, but he's not going to be good at ANY crafting? My subguild is a hunter, and I get fletchery because of it. Can I look forward to ruining as many arrows as I have steaks?

Quote from: "drunkendwarf"
Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"A warrior will never be good at crafting.  Get used to those shriveled masses of burnt meat.  If it bothers you that much, then be a ranger next character.  They fare much better.

Ok so my warrior won't ever be able to cook real good, but he's not going to be good at ANY crafting? My subguild is a hunter, and I get fletchery because of it. Can I look forward to ruining as many arrows as I have steaks?

I'm pretty sure that this is not the case. If you get a skill from your subguild, its always at the same level with the same peak regardless of your main guild.

However, I think fletching is one of the most difficult crafting skills.  Expect to ruin a -great- many branches before your first successful arrowshaft, and THEN expect to ruin a -great- many feather/shaft pairs before finishing your first usable arrow.  And THEN expect that arrow to be wasted on your first shot.

Quote from: "drunkendwarf"Ok so my warrior won't ever be able to cook real good, but he's not going to be good at ANY crafting? My subguild is a hunter, and I get fletchery because of it. Can I look forward to ruining as many arrows as I have steaks?

As someone else said, you will fail archery probably slightly fewer times.  It's just realistic - unless you are getting lessons, the basic premise is that you know roughly how to do it when you start, and only through hard work, careful study, and maybe being taken under the wing of a more skilled crafter, it will take you a long time to figure out the intricasies of making an arrow.  How do you secure the arrowhead to the shaft?  How many featers should you use, and how are they attached? Should they be cropped?  How do you whittle down a shaft that is strong and will not break on contact due to a weakness?  How do you make it round, and what are the optimal tools for doing all of those things?

Lots of roleplaying to do to progress your human warrior hunter to a seasoned veteran warrior hunter of superb versatility and survivability.