Zalanthian Ladies:

Started by WWYD, January 07, 2007, 05:04:17 PM

..do they shave? Do they have really hairy legs? Can they challenge the burliest man in hairy-armpit combat?

That's..all I really wanted to ask, actually.

I think its generally a virtual process of using razors or other types of blades with a straight edge. Same with men being clean shaven and such, you could use a skinning knife if it was sharp enough. Be creative  :twisted:

They probably don't shave.  In RL hair removal goes in and out of fashion, and there's really no reason why it would be in fashion in the Known World.  If nobody shaves, then nobody thinks that there is anything wrong with that.  Besides, unshaved legs are usually softer to touch than shaved, because shaving leaves prickly stubble behind.

In terms of appearance, how hairy someone looks depends partly on the contrast between their hair color and their skin color.  A pale skinned person with dark hair looks hairier than a golden skinned person with blond hair, even if they actually have the same amount of hair.  Some of those blond chicks actually use dye on their eyebrows and eyelashes, because otherwise they almost look like they don't have eyebrows at all.  Some blond girls don't need to shave above the knee, even in the summer, because the fine hair on their upper legs blends in with their skin so well.  Meanwhile the pale, raven-haired girls look like they are wearing legwarmers if they don't shave for a few days.   :roll:

Extensive hair removal isn't impossible if it is something your character wants, it just probably isn't the norm.  Obsidian razors are easy enough, but water and lather could be expensive.  Methods that rip the hair out at the root, like sugaring, waxing or threading, could be used as well -- these take longer and are painful, but don't need to be done as often.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Some do.  Some don't.  Some are incredibly hairy, some are decidedly less so.

Read the description, ask her, or manuever yourself in for the emotes.

Seeker.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Their sweat smells of cinnamon.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Rubbing stones over the skin, as the ancient Egyptians did, would work for hair removal too.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Rubbing stones over the skin, as the ancient Egyptians did, would work for hair removal too.

Historic quirk fan here - what kind of stones?

I believe it was a form of sandstone...like sandpaper, which was and still is used (or something much like it) in Japan.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ouch.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Pumice is another popular choice among the un-razored.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

The ladies love a stone mage
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

No, they don't shave.

Zalanthanian women are absolutely hairless save upon their scalps, unless specifically described to be otherwise.

So say I.

Anyway, why not? If they've had time to evolve the Way and fast wound healing, surely humanity has had time to shed that vestage of hair which is especially worthless in a desert environment.
Lunch makes me happy.

It is very interesting to see how people think that the only way to get rid of the body hair is shaving (legs - armpits, etc..).

Come on people, what about waxing? I don't know the exact word in english, but when I made the translation, the dictionary gave me this word "semi-solid confection" (in Turkish= Ağda) :), weird eh? Anyway, I checked the internet and found the recipe for it.. here it is =>

ingredients:
lemon juice, sugar (it seems that there are two types, one with sugar and one with real candle wax), and just a little bit of water

You just heat all of them in a cup till it gets sticky.. leave it to cool down on a surface. When it is ready, apply it to the desired area and pull it as fast as possible. Well.. you remove the unwanted hair at once. Painful, yes.. but as my girlfriends claim, it lasts longer then shaving and eventually weakens the roots of that unwanted hair..

In the other post, the one Sanvean posted just above, people even claimed that such an action (removing the body hair) is developed in 20th century.. maybe 19th century. Come on people, how could you say such a thing? I can safely say that the recipe that I just gave was common knowledge for like hunderds of years in Anatolia, Arabian Peninsula, and Persia..

As a conclusion, I believe that Zalanthian women know a way to generate some kind of wax that easily (but painfully at first) removes the unwanted hair as it has been the case for centuries around the warm climates of the world, such as Arabian peninsula.. lots of deserts, you know :)

It should be just a preference for them.. some choose to remove, some choose to keep it. I don't know. But the method should be commonly available if you ask me.
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

Quote from: "Koala"Painful, yes.. but as my girlfriends claim, it lasts longer then shaving and eventually weakens the roots of that unwanted hair.

Great way to get rashes, burns, and ingrown hairs too.

I still say that you can get any amount of natural hairiness, because of the mixed/unknown ethnic heritage of the Known World's current inhabitants.  On top of that, shaving, waxing, sugaring or buffing hair off is certainly possible with Zalanthan technology, but it probably uncommon.  Both having hair and not having hair are perfectly acceptable roleplay.  

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about body hair.  You have more important things to worry about.  If you get a girl out of her pants and she emotes having hairy legs, just thank your lucky stars that there aren't any tentacles.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Or teeth.  :shock:
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Again, I'd like to throw in that shaving (or some form of hair removal) is actually very common in poorer, dirtier countries. When you're filthy, you're more likely to get infections, and being hairy helps you stay dirtier, easier.
My sister came back from the Peace Corps, living in a dirty, hot third world country in which women AND men shaved more often than not, especially in the pubic region, because it makes them less prone to infection.

Not that this is necessarily the case on Zalanthas. I can see arguments for and against shaving, but, regardless, I think most people are going to take the stance of hairless women. So please don't run to the GDB and act shocked if you emote about your shaggy calves and people act grossed out. :)
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Make your PC have a fetish about dwarven women.

Problem solved.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: "spawnloser"I believe it was a form of sandstone...like sandpaper, which was and still is used (or something much like it) in Japan.
God what was that movie -- galactica or some shit, guy has to remove all his hair and excess skin so no one finds out who he really is, because he wants to be an astronaught, and doesn't have the genes for it.  So he takes someone elses identity, yeah he uses stones.
ogues do it from behind

Gattaca is the name of the movie.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Gattaca is the name of the movie.
Good movie, and zalanthian ladies are fme's *cheers*
ogues do it from behind

Quote from: "LiquidShell"zalanthian ladies are fme's *cheers*

Because I'm feeling charitable, I'm going to extend the benefit of the doubt to you and assume that you're not attempting to be extremely offensive with your above statement, and maybe just thought you were being funny or cute.

However, if you are carrying some kind of sexism about female characters with you into Zalanthas, I would suggest that you heavily evaluate your attitude. Female Zalanthans are every bit as competent and dangerous as their male counterparts, and I am sure that with just a little effort you can find a female character who will be happy to show you what I mean.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

From my personal experience, I've seen several female characters who were smarter, cooler and lived longer than most male characters I've encountered.

And if all female characters are f-mes, all male characters are twinks.

Let's not start this, guys.