Hi, I'm a offpeak player.

Started by Offpeak Kank, January 05, 2007, 05:37:08 PM

What times, EST, work better for you RPT-wise?

5 PM
4 (10.8%)
6 PM
2 (5.4%)
7 PM
7 (18.9%)
8 PM
9 (24.3%)
9 PM
8 (21.6%)
10 PM
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 05, 2007, 05:37:08 PM

..and honestly, while I don't really care that most people only get on for peak-times but come in randomly otherwise, I've got a single complaint towards peak players, particularly those who plan/run RPTs:

please.
please.
please.
please.
pretty please.

Give us off-peakers a chance to even dip their noses in a bit: even one or two hours then the normal (9:30 EST) would give a LOT more people a chance to..you know..actually /expirence/ some of that stuff. I've been playing citybound characters for about two years now, and I've only seen one  RPT, and I can only imagine who else hasn't been in a RPT.

This would be more helpful if you were to poll the times that people would actually be willing to be on for an RPT so that the numbers of people available to see such an event or make it go would be clear.

It's not like an RPT is a movie that everyone just sits and watches. The beauty of arm is that it's interactive...
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

There's plenty of RPT's. The fact that you've been in either of the cities for two years and haven't seen more than one RPT is...unlucky I'll say. I can't play anything but mainly city folks and I see plenty, and I don't happen to be a primetime player.

Off-peak isn't always fun, but especially now I can say hang in there because I am sure as the game carries into it's final days, you'll see plenty of things happening despite being an off-peak player.
And when they say that I am dead and gone, it won't be further from the truth..."

There's no option for zero.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: "Djarjak"This would be more helpful if you were to poll the times that people would actually be willing to be on for an RPT so that the numbers of people available to see such an event or make it go would be clear.

I was being stupid when I was making the topic..there we goes.

RPTs are scheduled to happen at times that work for their organizers and, sometimes, a small number of other key players who need to be there in order for the thing to happen at all.

So, what you're asking is that organizers of RPTs schedule events at times that don't work for the organizers?

If you want RPTs at times that work for you, why not schedule some? It's not like RPTs are all that hard to run. You need an idea for an event, a place for it to happen, a time and date for it to happen, and then to advertise it. Any ol' Amos can make an RPT happen. Really.

IMO, those who aren't willing to do the RPT work themselves, don't get to complain about RPTs not being convenient for them.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Later times do me better.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Minor RPTs are nothing more than pre-arranged rp that you can encounter on a daily basis anywhere else. Except an extra player or two might show up.

Major RPTs happen once a year or so.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

hmmm i always considered 9:00 part of peek time. Matbe a bit on the waning part but still a part.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

9:00 EST is 6:00 PST so put it much before that and West coast folks might have problems with pesky things like jobs or families who want them to have dinner with them.  Even though I don't currently have either *plays her own little violin*  :( I am still in the after 9:00 EST camp.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Generally said, the absolutely worst time for RPT for people leaving around me is 10pm EST. For myself, 10pm EST is 4am. If you add or take two hours, it is doable (one could be still awake at 2am and one could wake at 6am to log in - keep in mind that most of works start at 8am here), but 4am? With knowing it would take at least hour or two more before it ends? Uhh.

On the other side, look at it this way. Only problem is when the RPT effects your character directly. I missed one RPT lately and I lost a chance to do something I was trying to do for months, which was pretty annoying - simply because the RPT was planned for weekday and my 4am. But in general? Yes, there is hundred and one RPTs I would like to see and I cannot. But I know that when I plan RPT, I usually have to plan it for times some peak-players will not be able to come as well. The key is: sitting being sad you missed RPT doesn't help anything. Run your own RPT or make the person who leads RPT ICly believe that they simply -cannot- run it without you.  :twisted:

I have to admit, when I schedule an event of some kind, I am selfish.  I do it around my playing times.  Why?  So I can be there and run it.  I do ask others sometimes, and if they can't be around, I'll try and adjust.  But, when you have two young kids at home, you want to schedule things when they are not going to bother you.  Sure, I could tie them up and gag them, or feed them booze until they are in a coma, but do that too many times and someone comes knocking on your door to take your kids away.

Olafson

To be honest, I'm feeling a bit bad about how I started the topic- I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining (then again, I was under the influence, so you can guess how -that- worked out)..and I was also stupid in assuming that RPTs were usually imm-run.

That said, if I offended anyone or anything, I'm sorry.

But, hey, now I want to see what the poll ends like. Methinks I'll put in my bit..7PM EST is the best time for me, personally. That way, I have a hour or two to enjoy it before having to flop on a bed to dodge guards.

Quote from: "Offpeak Kank"assuming that RPTs were usually imm-run.

As you are hearing, RPTs are always player-run unless they are the ones specifically announced by the imms in the staff announcements. RPTs -generally- are organized by players who are in leadership roles, like templars, nobles, merchant family members, and so on. But there's no reason it has to be that way. Like I said before, any ol' Amos can run an RPT, and you don't need anyone's permission to do it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Some of us would find it difficult to make any of the days on your poll, on a work day. ie Me. At 10 EST on a normal working day I'm still at work watching the clock hoping to leave soon.

I've still managed to make quite a number of RPTs and have found that quite a few are scheduled for the later parts of the evenings EST times.  Sometimes it can be frustrating not being able to attend what looks to you like a kick-ass RPT, but don't worry Off-peak Kank, there'll be others that come along that you can make, guarantee it.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.