Suck it up.

Started by jhunter, March 12, 2003, 07:18:58 PM

I find it really annoying when you post to start a discussion or you are reading through another topic and you run into posts that just say "Suck it up." or "Deal with it." and they don't have anything else to say about the topic to contribute to the discussion.

In my opinion, if you aren't going to contribute to the discussion about the topic, don't bother posting a reply that basically says shut up.

Heck yeah!
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

If the only comment someone adds to a post is 'Suck it up' I generally chalk it up to their inner asshole coming out and learn to skip over their posts in general.

Its funny to see people basically trying to repress conversation on a discussion board.

If it walks like a troll, acts like a troll and posts like a troll....

I agree to some extent that "suck it up" alone doesn't really add much to the discussion. But at the same time, this is Armageddon, not daycare. A "suck it up, here are the facts of Zalanthan life ..." would do better.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

It's just how things are. No matter what you do, no matter what you say, it's still going to happen. You can kill ALL the people you want, it won't make a difference. Flood the GDB with massive posts that read for hours on end, it won't matter. You can do nothing about it, nothing.

Suck it up and deal with it.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Well if a post is "this guy was mean to me, and then I died."

suck it up is putting it nicely...
the rules are pretty clear people can and will be mean to you, and you will die... so I dont know.

I dont see much, if any 'suck it up' in 'discussions' as no discussion could really call for that... Like lets discuss arrow damage "suck it up!" wouldnt fit.

Quote from: "creeper386"It's just how things are. No matter what you do, no matter what you say, it's still going to happen. You can kill ALL the people you want, it won't make a difference. Flood the GDB with massive posts that read for hours on end, it won't matter. You can do nothing about it, nothing.

Suck it up and deal with it.

Creeper

So why post at all?  Honestly, 90% of the posts I read about possible changes or concerns aren't done in a this must be changed right away tone.

I'd also disagree that we 'can do nothing about it, nothing'.  Consider how posts on this board often result in a change.

• The removal of the word 'Banzai' from the rescue echo.
  • The change of weight to allow for items weighing less than a stone.
  • Sanvean saying that the recent Subdue threads brought up some good points that were being examined.
  • The removal of post counts.
  • Grouped NPCs no longer all throw their spears at the same target in an adjacent room.
  • Going back further the inclusion of more subguilds such as Thug, Jewelmaker, Linguist...
  • The review flag (and its subsequently being made toggleable).
Those are all that I can remember off of the top of my head.

Heh, as a returned player who hadn't played for nearly 5 years... I dug up some old Arm docs and found a thing I had written to the Imms probably 6 years ago.

It was a list of things I would love to see done to the game... at the time, there were fewer active imms and I had very low hopes anyone would really listen, but I tried anyway.

Nearly every one of those points has since been implemented.  Don't know if my list helped at all, or was even the genesis for some of the changes, but I do know that the Imms DO listen.  ;)

I'll try to dig up that ol' doc and post it sometime.  Heh.
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

I really would like to start ignoring a lot of people that show an overall poor level of quality in their posts for the sake of cleaning up the board.

Adding moderating features or ignore lists would be a great addition to this list.

Pwease?

First to go if we ever do see ignore lists are going to be all people with post counts over 500 right now.  There is a fine line between useful contributions, and repetive, meaningless filler.

Only problem with an ignore feature on this style board: when other people reference the ignored person you have no clue what the hell they are talking about.

That is the biggest thing I miss from the Old GDB, the fact is was all based on sub-threads.  That way, if the thread spun off in a direction I didn't care about, I could ignore it. And I could always tell when someone decided to post back on topic.  But this board has it's advantages as well.

~Drunken Salarr, who still misses the old board at times.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

QuoteIn my opinion, if you aren't going to contribute to the discussion about the topic, don't bother posting a reply that basically says shut up.

Well, in my opinion, if you aren't going to create a new topic and basically say the same thing that was in a thread a page ago, don't botherp osting at all. Yeah, I tell people to suck it up or deal with it. ON THE SAME FUCKING THREADS THAT HAVE BEEN HASHED AND REHASHED.

People have been complaining about stats for years now. There's at least three or four threads about them. Everytime I see a stats thread, it's usually the same issue. 'My stats don't match up with this character, I have xxx where I should have yyy'. What's there to say to that? Everybody's gone through it. Everybody knows what it's like. So stop complaining about something that's not going to be changed and suck it up. There's no point in adding another thread that's been covered in two or three before.

Quote from: "CRW's rebuttal"The removal of the word 'Banzai' from the rescue echo.

The change of weight to allow for items weighing less than a stone.

Sanvean saying that the recent Subdue threads brought up some good points that were being examined.

The removal of post counts.

Grouped NPCs no longer all throw their spears at the same target in an adjacent room.

Going back further the inclusion of more subguilds such as Thug, Jewelmaker, Linguist...

The review flag (and its subsequently being made toggleable).

Subdue hasn't been changed yet. When it has been, then you can list it. Until then, I interpretted that as something to be said when they were sick of hearing about it. As for the other topics, I wouldn't say they were due to posting twenty threads to the GDB. Keep in mind that the coders are constantly working. When they finish one project, they move to the next. I'm sure that weight has been an issue brought up in the past that has finally gotten up into their queue of things to do. As for other things, such as spear throwing and the like, one thread should be enough to notify them.

You really want to get things changed? Try actually writing a well-thought out and composed e-mail to the people in charge. Creating a thread that pretty much says, 'Hey, you know what sucks?! Those Rinthi NPCs who attack on sight!' is kind of pointless. However, if you send an e-mail to Zagren and CC it to the MUD about how tough the Rinth NPCs are along with a possible solution, you're guaranteed to bring it to someone's attention. Showing log and giving time and date is even better.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

First of all CRW, that mostly was a joke.

Second of all, I wasn't talking about not being able to make a change on the MUD. I was speaking of what THIS thread was about. That complaining about people saying "suck it up" or "deal with it" most likely well do little to change people from doing that.

And those "suck it up"s can come in any from from saying just that to saying, "this has been discussed sense the beggining of the MUD and there hasn't been any conclusion so it's unlikely to happen."

Gosh... And people complain that I side track posts... and they bring up things that have NO relation to the thread at all.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "gfair"First to go if we ever do see ignore lists are going to be all people with post counts over 500 right now.  There is a fine line between useful contributions, and repetive, meaningless filler.

I was going to say that some people just like discussion boards, and discussions.  But then I checked the post counts to see who was actually over 500.
    John                1169    
    Tony                  947    
    creeper386         749    
Angela Christine  654    
CRW                  595 [/list]
I'm sad now; gfair doesn't like me.   :cry:  I have to go find something disgusting to cheer myself up.

Annoying Compost
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

gfair, I assume that you were just joking, but saying that people who post alot are all posting meaningless spam is just all wrong, not based on any truth whatsoever.
I think I've yet to see an AC post that wasn't worth reading.  
I don't agree with/want to read everything said by the 500+ers, but that can be said about the rest of the board, as evidenced by your posts (in this thread, I mean.  No offense intended).

I think half of my posts have been in the OOC forum, cause I'm OOC like Saturday morning.

The other half are spent whining, I'm told.