"new" items.

Started by Cale_Knight, November 01, 2006, 09:45:31 PM

It was a long, long time before I realized that "a new chitin collar" was actually inferior to "a chitin collar."

This seems to be a poor word to use, as it doesn't really convey the fact that the item is slightly damaged. What about "scuffed" or "worn"?
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Agreed. I thought the same thing when I first discovered that.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Are you serious? A new chitin collar is a step down? That's definately wierd and I had the opposite impression as well.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

how about 'suspicious' I like that. A suspicious chitin collar.

It is true...'new' is actually a step down from no tag being appended to the item.  I've always found that silly myself, too.  If we could have 'new' be a step up from no tag, or change the 'new' tag to seomthing else, I would be muchly pleased.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Wow. I was always pleased when my stuff was 'new' instead of normal. I was fooled.

That makes absolutely not sense whatsoever.

Quote from: "spawnloser"It is true...'new' is actually a step down from no tag being appended to the item.  I've always found that silly myself, too.  If we could have 'new' be a step up from no tag, or change the 'new' tag to seomthing else, I would be muchly pleased.

Yeah this does seem kinda weird...does anyone know why it's this way?

Maybe because if it's new it's not broken in, but that doesn't work because I've seen things go from having no tag to being new. So it makes no sense, I think.

(Unless I was hallucinating. In which case my original statement works)
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Nope. You're right. I've definately seen things go from normal to new. Which confused me at the time, but I was still like...hurrah! That collar I've had for months is now new and sparkly.

New is a step down.

It is like, your stuff was kind of falling apart, but somehow it managed to stick together.  It is not like its old original times now, it is a -NEW(!!!)- one.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Yah, it's a little silly. But I tend to look at it like this:

no tag = perfect mint condition
new = pretty good, nothing wrong with it
used = battered and worn
...then whatever comes next is usually self-explanatory.
b]YB <3[/b]

It sort of makes sense, if you remember the code changes to armor.

Once upon a time, all armor showed its condition.  So all armor in decent repair said "new" at the beginning, and it degraded from there.  Of course, "new" was a range of damage to the item, from perfect condition down a little ways.

Then because of all the tagged words that were getting added, like "dusty" and such, it was decided to change it so that brand spanking new mint condition armor had the condition tag removed from the sdesc of the item.  But since the lack of condition tag seemed to only apply to perfect mint condition armor (lets say condition 100), but the new tag refers to a range (lets say 90-100), we come to what we have today.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Delirium"I like 'scuffed'.

That's what came to mind when I scrolled down the first three posts.  However, I recomend that used be the first step down then scuffed, dented, and cracked.  As it is now, it's new, used, cracked, and then dented.   I just think that since that first step down is usually the limit most can repair something to, a word should be used that can encompass the idea that while the item may be well taken care of, it still has had repairs and the like added to it.

Anyone else find it odd that dented comes after cracked?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Wait, dented comes AFTER cracked?  Learn something new every day.

Shows how many combat characters I play.  I've never had armor get that worked over during the course of play.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"...

Wait, dented comes AFTER cracked?  Learn something new every day.

Shows how many combat characters I play.  I've never had armor get that worked over during the course of play.

Usually hits that would seriously degrade armor also kill your character.

Like the poor bynner who's mint bone helmet cracked upon application of a sparring club with mercy on by a dwarven trooper. (true story, was there)

Shields, on the otherhand, get the shit beat out of them pretty regularly.

I think some items are more durable than others. I've had pieces of armor stayed mint during weeks of steady sparring, and I've had some that got used after two hard hits.

Half-giants and armor just do not get along well though. If you fight a half-giant, expect your armor to lose a notch or two of durability where they hit you. And if you are a half-giant, you'll likely end up spending a good deal of money on repairing your own stuff because things that would hit a human lightly will probably hit you very hard.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Agent_137"Shields, on the otherhand, get the shit beat out of them pretty regularly.

Yeah, repairing shields is where my knowledge comes from.  Time spent in a military organisation can demonstrate this to you.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I hate when it says 'new'.

Especially when playing a dirty mercenary.

I actually spend sids to keep it repaired, just to take off that label ;)

Quote from: "Hymwen"Half-giants and armor just do not get along well though. If you fight a half-giant, expect your armor to lose a notch or two of durability where they hit you. And if you are a half-giant, you'll likely end up spending a good deal of money on repairing your own stuff because things that would hit a human lightly will probably hit you very hard.

If you fight a half-giant, expect to die where they hit you.

I'm pretty sure Xygax had a point somewhere about sparring with HGs and painting the room a new shade of rusty red with questionable grey texturing.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot