Tribal Desert Humans

Started by Mr. Eggo, March 05, 2003, 08:31:23 PM

Do all humans live in the cities? or are there tribes of desert humans?

Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

Although AFAIK (and I might be wrong about this) you can't start in the Tablelands as your starting position unless your a D-Elf.

Does anyone else think the Tablelands should be opened up as a starting location for humans? It would certaintly create a use for Bendune (as the docs say that most Tribal humans on the tablelands know Bendune) as it would allow D-Elves and humans to be able to trade. It would also populate the Tablelands more. However if that's a concern then you can restrict it to people who have D-Elf Karma.

It also doesn't make sense (according to the docs) for elves to treat other elves better then they treat humans. Because they're all stinkin' outsiders.

I think a desert-human race might be nice... starting with their own kank or erdlu (obviously the desert humans are more nomadic and gypsy-like, not runners like the elves)

maybe a human outpost...

I dont know if there is a large enough human population in the are to support this however, might make some conflict for the desert elves out there.

I think itd be neat.

If you grew up in the Tablelands...
...you are either a member of the nomadic human tribes or the multiplicity of elvish tribes that exist there. If human, you may be a member of one of the main tribes, the Al Seik, Benjari, or Jul Tavan, or a member of one of the small splinter groups that have split off from them over the years. If you are an elf, you have a variety of possibilities, since elvish tribes come and go swiftly.

The human tribes usually speak Bendune, which bears some resemblance to the elven speech, and even more to the language known as Cavilish. Bendune is not much known outside the Tablelands and Luirs, but is a necessity for survival in that area. It is a rich and poetic language, mainly due to an incredible array of sentence structures to describe various states of spiritual, physical, and intellectual being. Different nouns thus typically yield entirely different sentences. Bendune follows in the nomadic language convention of using seven vowels for speaking and no vowels for writing.

While a few of the elves of the Tablelands have picked up Bendune from their human neighbors, all speak allundean. There are a multitude of elvish tribes on the Tablelands: the Blackwing, the Leaping Sands, the Dirt Jakhals, Seven Spears. Usually a new tribe occurs when a group splits off from a larger tribe, and often the name of the new tribe commemorates the split.

Major landmarks of the Tablelands include the desert elf outpost to the north. Once primarily a Blackwing outpost, other tribes have set up trading there until the place has become a common meeting place for the various tribes as well as occasional merchants from elsewhere looking for goods. The outpost is still owned and policed by the Blackwing. (Note: in making desert elves, please consult with staff before making an elf affiliated with Blackwing -- this tribe is currently closed.)

To the south and west lies the Valley of Xytrix-Za, once home for a thriving mantis civilization. Within the last century, however, the city-state of Allanak has claimed the valley and posted troops there. The mantis have, rumors hold, migrated west and south. Near the valley entrance is an outpost that was originally a bandit stronghold, but which has become tamer with the cautionary influence of Allanak nearby.

In the center of the Tablelands lies the gith mesa. The gith deal with few outsiders, preferring to slay and consume intruders. They do deal on occasion with the Red Fangs tribe. Gith technology is crude at best, and the quality of their wares is poor.

Most trading occurs in Luir's Outpost, which lies on the North Road to the east of the Tablelands. Run by House Kurac, the Outpost is host to a variety of merchants from across the Known World.

Life on the Tablelands is precarious at best. Fierce creatures, including fierce dujat worms, anakore that lurk beneath the sands waiting to pull down unwary travellers, wezers that sting their victims with paralyzing poison and drag them home to their hives, and hulking half-intelligent braxat, fill its canyons and mesas. But it is a compelling environment as well, full of cacti and desert vegetation seen nowhere else in the Known World. Quirri, large black felines, slink through the dune shadows here, and long-necked durrit the size of dwarves dig for grubs under the tumbled boulders. A few oases lie like green pools where shelter is available, but for most of its denizens, water is a scarce and valued commodity.

© 2002 Armageddon Mud
Submitted by Sanvean

Thanks I really appreciate that input.

The reason I ask is becuase I've currently been playing a human, whose background was that of a nomadic tribe. Lately I've been thinking, perhaps I'm missing something because when people find out I live primarily in the desert, they often act as if it were strange, or as if they were shocked to find that I would take a long journey on foot to Luir's.

So, is it odd for a ranger to spend most of his time outdoors and to RP a 'nomadic' character? Two of us usually play together which makes it a bit easier to play the part of a "tribe" but nonetheless.

Why do people treat it as such odd behavior?

Sounds like you're in Allanak.

In Allanak, nobody in their right mind really wants to go outside of the gates. There's gith that are tough. Your best chance is to flee, but you don't have a mount. That means you're running in an outdoor room, which takes a LOT of MV. So there's a good chance those gith can catch up to you.

In the north, that sort of thing is a lot more common. Outdoorsmen, that is.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Im not sure but the 'Nomad' subguild I think applies to those thatd be from the Tablelands, giving them bendune, riding bonus maybe, other nomadic things.

At least I think