Building things

Started by Mr Eggo, March 04, 2003, 04:39:45 PM

Is it possible to build a home or Shop etc?

I was thinking, lets say right now I'm a ranger with a tent with a whole load of skins I've collected after a very, very long hunting trip. I return to 'Nak, Tulluk whatever and head to the Market drop my tent and decide to run a little shop for a bit. Can I do this?

If so, is it possible for me to keep the shop with my char as an npc? That would be tops.

and again, If so....can I build a home somewhere? possibly a fort out side the city? I think this would make the game very dynamic if PC's with large amounts of sid' could start communes and the like...

Jsut some thoughts

PC merchants are always a welcome addition to the game world.  I think it would be perfectly acceptable to set up a temporary shop in the market.

Codewise, I don't think it's possible for you to leave the shop and seller in-game while you're logged out, unless through imm intervention.  I'm not speaking for the imms, but if I were one, I'd be pretty miffed if I went through all the trouble of helping you set up a coded shop only to have your ranger get killed on his next hunting trip.  So for now, IMO the best way to go is to set up shop whenever you're logged in, and just pack it up when you log out.

You can sit around in the bazaar and try and sell things.  I have done this with past characters.  Setting up a tent might be risky, as I have heard from people who have tried that some NPCs accidentally picked up and their tent before they could set it up.  Try dropping something simple and see if it gets picked up before setting up a tent.  Also, remember that you need a merchant token.  If a templar catches you selling without a token you could be in trouble.

As to a more long term shop, that too can also be done.  In fact, I believe (and don't take this as complete truth, I could be wrong) that the imms recently set up some code to make player run shops a little easier.  In fact, I think I have seen one in game.  That said, it requires imm intervention to get a player run shop.  I would not expect your average run of the mill struggling ranger to be given one.  Like most things that require a change in the game for the benefit of your character, you will most likely have to prove that you OOCly can stay alive and will add to the game for others.  I find it doubtful a lone hunter would be given a shop.  However, the leader of a hunting group that has been around a while and has the resources might find imm intervention more forthcoming.  Additionally, a permanent shop is costly.  Not only does one need permission from authorities, but you need employees.  You certainly can't man a shop 24 hours a day yourself.  It would be silly for you to stand there for a week while you are off line manning your shop, not to mention the fact that you would be mighty pissed if you logged on to find yourself dead.  You need to hire at least someone to act as a merchant for your shop and a guard.

As with the shop, the building of other structures requires imm intervention.  You can't just throw down some lumber in some location and type build.  It takes far more then that to get anything built.  Building inside of a city demands resources, labor, and getting permission from the proper authorities to build.  Building outside of the city requires even more.  Not only do you need the same things you need in a city, but you also need it to be garrisoned and defensible.  You would need to be extremely wealthy to build outside of the protection of a city state.  Anything without heavy defense is just asking for Gith or raiders to raid it and burn it to the ground.

Basically, it comes down to two things.  First, you need the IC resources and you need to take the proper IC steps to build anything permanent.  Imagine what you would have to do the real world to get something built, and assume you will need to do that too.  Next, you need to OOCly prove that it is worth some imm's time to build and code this for you.  You need to show that you are going to stay alive and that you are going to add something to the game.  The leader of a hunting and mercenary band who has been around for a RL year is far more likely to get something permanently put into the game then a hermit ranger who is 5 days old.

there are a wide variety of tents available for sale.

and setting them up in the bazaar is probably okay... not sure if the room has to be flagged a certain way. (i.e to prevent people from setting them in a bar or something)

maybe have your strong-armed friend watch over the place.

dont know. sounds okay.