Your most dissatisfying deaths

Started by Tired and a little sad, August 25, 2006, 11:43:46 PM

Hmmm...NPCs...I always blame it on the NPCs.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

My first character in Arma, a 15+ day warrior sparring with training weapons. He took a club to the head, which cracked both his helmet and his skull. Lawl at dying during training.

My most recent character died from raptors, with their amazing ability to track me (in a decent sandstorm) all the way across the Red.

Forgetting to draw my fucking sword. This has happened a few times, but the worst time was with a 'raider' that was one of the best characters I've ever had.

Loved the desc, loved the BG, loved his mannerisms and quirks. He was perfect and fit me like a custom made glove. I think he made three days played of utter badassness.

Someone escapes a skary, marauding beetle into Storm, the beetle lurks around the corner, out of my line of sight from 'l n'. I ride north, beetle arrives, vicious bite to the ass, kank throws me, two more bites. I had time to blink, typo 'draw scimigar', and roar the first quarter of a particularly obscene curse before I was at negative HP.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Dying in the arena when I got fucked over by disarm failure. That character could have been great, he fit me like a glove too. Like a really comfy glove. Like a glove that could fuck everyone up but didn't really need to cause he was so badass.  :evil:

I lost a 62+ day warrior due to a carru bashing him off a cliff.

I think the worst part was that just before the stun code knocked him out, I saw the carru falling in from above...  The image of being pushed off a cliff and then crushed to death by the beast is just wrong.

Oh Dear Lord...I just had the worst death of my whole career here..."Death by Typo"

So I get into the game..my character figures,"hey..time to gather supplies".  I go to the stables, get my beast out, type "hitch kank me" and all of a sudden, I lash out at it!

So after my non-combat pc dies due to the fight lag, I scroll back to find out that by mistake I typed "hit chkank me"..... :oops:

I can't make up my mind..should I laugh or should I cry?

Oh well..time to start a new character..good thing I've got several concepts in mind..
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: "Pale Horse"I typed "hit chkank me"..... :oops:

That wouldn't have started combat, because chkank isn't a keyword for a kank.  You must have left off the ch
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"

That wouldn't have started combat, because chkank isn't a keyword for a kank.  You must have left off the ch

Maybe his kank's name was chkank.

Quote from: "Rhyden"
Quote from: "Halaster"

Maybe his kank's name was chkank.

YEAH HALASTER

My worst death ever was undoubtedly losing a 70+ day defiler in about the most insane streak of bad luck I think I've ever seen.

But again, he had some insanely good luck too in his career.

:twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Most dissatisfying deaths?  The third time I was killed by a scrab.  The seventh time I was killed by a scrab.  the twelfth time I was killed by a scrab.   :P

Ok, I don't know if I've actually managed to die to scrabs 12 times, but I've probably died to NPC random encounters 80-100 times.  Those deaths are pretty unsatisfying.  NPCs are a bunch of twinks.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

My most dissatisfying death occured a long, long time ago...

A magicker known as the Sage had ambushed myself and a well-known Kadian by the name of Lius, but Lius managed to talk us out of trouble.

The next day, my dwarf got a little rowdy and started punching somebody in the Gaj and got hauled off to prison.  Unfortunately, some templar had left 3-4 NPC soldiers inside the cell I got thrown into.  This being long before the nosave command was implemented, when I was tossed into the cell, one of the soldiers inside attempted to subdue me, failed, and all of them jumped me instantly.

The second most dissatisfying was the Bynner who knocked me out with the sparring club in his primary hand, brutally waylaid me with the club in his secondary hand, then kicked my face into pieces with the kick command he had in the queue.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Sparring ring deaths are hilarious. I remember one sometime last year when the unit's resident nearly-sergeant dwarf one-hit-killed an armoured runner with a mercy-on chop to the head. Whoops.

Quote from: "jstorrie"Sparring ring deaths are hilarious. I remember one sometime last year when the unit's resident nearly-sergeant dwarf one-hit-killed an armoured runner with a mercy-on chop to the head. Whoops.

I remember that happening to my ingame brother about 3 years ago, in the byn.

Thanks, Henna, again, wherever you are.

Quote from: "Agent_137"
Quote from: "jstorrie"Sparring ring deaths are hilarious. I remember one sometime last year when the unit's resident nearly-sergeant dwarf one-hit-killed an armoured runner with a mercy-on chop to the head. Whoops.

I remember that happening to my ingame brother about 3 years ago, in the byn.

Thanks, Henna, again, wherever you are.

Yeah. I was laughing too hard to submit a bug report.

Yes, you two, that was the one. Thank you, Henna, for getting blood all over my alcoholic jerk of a mercenary.

I cannot think of a death I'd find 'dissatisfying', but after reading this thread, I am afraid my PCs may've killed other characters in a way that the player may've found a bit upsetting. Few people here mention that some PC may've maimed their PC, or find an alternative, but please, remember that sometimes 'some random PC killing you for no reason at all' could be a hired assassin, or someone who thinks your PC is too dangerous for them etc.
If you don't understand why your PC died, it may be that there was some rp behind it that (sadly, I know) didn't include you.

Down with no-emote killers, though.  Death should be fun. At least in Arm.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

One-hit backstab from some PC in the rinth after less than 24 hours of being accepted.
I'm not sure where to put this one - looked like someone that liked to practice backstab on new characters to me.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

You see an outpost, you enter wondering why you haven't seen it before, five NPCs instakill you.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

My first char was a simple Byn Sergeant who had lasted almost a RL year.  Simple run up north and an immortal decided to bring in a pack of gortoks in for some fun.  There happened to be another pack of gortoks in a nearby room.  Died a horrible horrbile painfull death of being nibbled to death.  Lol... wasn't upset or anything about it.  First char lived alot longer than I figured and I even laughed about it when I found out it was by accident.  Wonder if the imm still remembers....
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote from: "elvenchipmunk"It's a conspiracy!

I had a character approved within the last week and got no e-mail from MUD either. Though I'm not bouncing because I verified that (got them to send me another e-mail to make sure).

My worst death was a 20-day warrior being spam-bashed by a carru until he had no stun left. Heh. Bashed me three times before the 'kill carru' lag wore off. Lesson? Don't fucking attack carru! I haven't since then. Yay.

Same here, I charged a charru with my leetness Winrothol. Before the lag was over bash,bash,bash. I just went holy WTF! Mainly because I was the leetness hunter and shouldn't have been offed by some carru. I as not pleased.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I hate it when somebody has total control of the scene. Like, has you subdued, or frozen in time with an uber spell. And instead of gloating or throwing in an emote or even making the magic scary. They just cast another spell and you die, or they just slash you up while you are subdued without having any fun with the scene.

Would be cooler if you emoted.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Dakkon Black"I hate it when somebody has total control of the scene. Like, has you subdued, or frozen in time with an uber spell. And instead of gloating or throwing in an emote or even making the magic scary. They just cast another spell and you die, or they just slash you up while you are subdued without having any fun with the scene.

On the flip side, I couldn't stand watching helpless while everyone around me was deciding on whether they'd let me live or rather kill me in a funny way, and who the blood would splatter on.
Only being able to do thinks sucks ass.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Shit, I have lots.

Death from a fall when I never intended to climb.

Attempting to climb in the 'rinth with a character with low endurance. Fell and hurt my head and passed out from it despite having full stun and while waiting to wake up, someone delivered a mantis head.

Wearing something valuable in the 'rinth and getting attacked by one of the super-buff NPCs. He somehow made four attacks in the first round of combat: very hard on the head, viciously on the body, solidly on the neck and very hard on the body. Dead.

Riding around in the desert. Magickal currents begin to swirl around someone. Paralyzed, fried.

14 hour old anger executed in Tuluk for something about magickers. The templar who arrested me was the fourth PC I interacted with.

Falling into a chasm which had a gith in it.

Spice and Allanak gates.

Going linkdead in a 2-room alley in the middle of a city, and coming back the next day to find my PC dead.

Just lost my first character after 3 hours of play, in his first combat. Really, I suppose it was entirely my fault for not fully reading the interface docs before playing.

Didn't realize that when the spear's on my back, I have to DRAW it, not WIELD it. Tried REMOVE, was told "not in combat." Tried RUN, realized too late that I meant FLEE, and I think I was lagging a bit because once I did FLEE, there appeared to be three more rounds of combat before I went unconscious. Curious as to whether I might stabilize and heal (it only said I would probably die without assistance...) I stayed online for ten minutes browsing help before being delivered to Ye Mantis.

Well, there's a reason this character was just a quick re-write of an old D&D character... figured the first shot at a game like this should be someone I'd enjoy playing if he lived, but wouldn't be attached to if he didn't. :)

Had a lot of fun in those three hours, though. Learned that you can't get water from the earless bucket-carrier, and by an amazing coincidence of location, wound up with a gourd full of sewage in the process. Found an empty cell and dumped that out, finally found the temple of the dragon and gave 45 sid to the Templar before filling my gourd and having 45 sid taken as part of that action. D'oh! But at least now I had a smelly gourd of water.

The only thing that really upsets me is that I didn't learn enough about the world to get a good idea for my second character!