Author Topic: Reminder: Type 'write' to save in-game bulletin boards.  (Read 1472 times)

Anonymous

Reminder: Type 'write' to save in-game bulletin boards.
« on: February 23, 2003, 06:06:10 PM »
Just a brief reminder, this is how you add a note to a message board:

write <topic>
<type out your message>
~
write

In that order.

So, for example:

write CRW is the greatest of all

Boy that CRW gets me hot.  Some day I'm going to
make a man out of him.
~

write

I've noticed a lot of people either using the command 'write board <topic>' which just ends up having a topic titled 'board Kanks and the Allanaki's who love them.'  Or, even worse, some people are not typing 'write' again after they are done to save the board to disk.

IF YOU DO NOT TYPE 'WRITE' AFTER YOU ENTER A TOPIC THE BOARD YOUR MESSAGE WILL NOT BE SAVED AND IF THE GAME REBOOTS IT WILL BE LOST FOREVER.

Lazloth

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 06:12:07 PM »
*shrug* I like the semi-permanence personally, and generally do not write a second time if it's a passing rumor.

There are [IC] boards within the game that still hold messages from forever-ago.  I hate that.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 06:19:06 PM »
I figured someone would post that.  Its a neat idea, allowing for the randomness of the mud's uptime to determine how long a rumour lasts.

But there are a lot of messages which are not posted as rumours, per se, but more like memos between players of the same clan, or people posting something their own PC wants to be known (so and so is looking for a job type posts, or Blobbity the indy merchant wants to buy orcflesh from hunters).

Basically this is directed to those who do not intend for their post to go away within 1-7 days.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 06:19:31 PM »
I'd have to agree with Lazloth. Not all messages are meant to be around forever. If some one from House Whatchamuhuh says they're hiring for the next week, then is there really any reason for that post to be around more then a week? Just my opinion.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Lazloth

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 06:22:10 PM »
Quote from: "CRW"
Basically this is directed to those who do not intend for their post to go away within 1-7 days.

Yah, I understand your position.

One corollary -- perhaps if the boards were cleaned every so often, I'd use the second write more often :)
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

creeper386

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 06:23:08 PM »
But just to say it... If that person wanted it for the week, they'd want it there a week, and the MUD could well crash without them knowing about it and their message would be gone and such. I know normal people check it more often then that and such but you never know.

And I think the point was to try and be helpful, I've seen a good amount of messages being screwed up recently, don't think alittle bit of restating documents is hurting anything.

Creeper
21sters Unite!