Houses, and the lack thereof

Started by Kalden, February 23, 2003, 03:21:36 AM

I've noticed that everyone often sleeps together in a big dorm room, but I'm wondering if I could pretend my character has a virtual house or even request a real house, if we felt that it fit our character. I know this is a post-apocalyptic world, but should homes really be all that hard to own? I'd guess that PCs don't have homes because giving them each one is undesirable and unfeasible.

I'm mostly wondering because I may want a character that owns his own house, to do things in and talk privately. How much would a house cost to build, anyway? Could building houses and buildings be a possible profession?

You can actually rent houses. Nenyuk deals with that sort of thing so you'll need to find a Nenyuki PC. If your part of a House, then it probably wouldn't hurt to see if the House has any apartments or houses to rent. ;)

I hear houses are A LOT more common up north in Tuluk then down here in Allanak.

Most often there are a few requirements that must be met in order for you to own your own dwelling. Firstly, you should establish yourself in the game, make contacts, get some money saved up. If you have done this then your probly living at around 10 days or so, easy. Basically keep this up, live around 20 days playing time and then talk with some imm's about owning your own place by sending them an email at the ginka account. I think its armageddon@ginka.org or something, im sure someone can clear that up. Other than this, if you apply for a noble and are accepted then you will have your own place, pretty sure about this one. So basically, become established, have a way to make money, and live a while, then get your house... You said something about having a house building profession? This would be a great focus for a northlands dwarf, or even an entrepeneur of another race. Go for it.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Others have answered the can you have a house.  To answer if you can have a virtual house, yes that is completely acceptable.  In fact, I think it would be very common for people to be living in a single little rented room with the rest of their family.  You can't claim anything fancy, but claiming you have a single room somewhere seems perfectly ok to me.