Wheres the Lady?

Started by Yokunama, July 28, 2006, 05:37:46 AM

*The states have these almighty figures Tek, Utep, and the Sand Lord, but wheres the almighty Lady/Ladies?
*Do the populace only see men as almighty figures?
*If we have any basic knowledge on any almighty ladies, could someone please chime in?
*What do you think it would be like if we had at least one or two?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I have no IC basis for any of this, this is just OOC speculation:

I don't think Mek Utep survived the encounter with the dragon. Therefore the Faithful ladies of Tuluk or at least one or two could very well be  the big cheeses of those areas

According to docs Tek occationally has sex and even bastard children(who become templars). I felt that was something that made the god-king more human then anything else.

That said there is no reason to speculate a sorcerer-queen would really be anything different then Tek. She could occationally have children and be a paranoid quack as well.

Also there is no reason the sandlord cannot be the sandlady. These defilers are very powerful and there could be a good chance they have transcended gender. Who knows, maybe that drop dead gorgeous female PC that seemed to walk on air and be completely out of place in Redstorm, was actually an IMM taking the 'sandlord' for a walk. :D

Quote from: "Yokunama"*The states have these almighty figures Tek, Utep, and the Sand Lord, but wheres the almighty Lady/Ladies?
It's staff bias pure and simple. Back in the day when those characters were first made, the staff were biased to having males in leader roles. There were also The Old Council of Kings, Luir, and Valasuvius. IMO ICly no-one draws any assumptions as a result of this, people just don't notice it (because IMO it's purely OOC).

Quote from: "Yokunama"*What do you think it would be like if we had at least one or two?
We'd have slightly less people claiming that sexism exists in zalanthas and any time the female-country lost some people would claim it was because they had a female ruler and the staff were once again showing women being overpowered by men. Those would be the only changes IMO.

I'd personally hate for any of the current current leaders to be overthrown and have a women replace them, only because the staff/players wanted more female leaders.

Zalanthas has a Dune influence. In Herbert's Dune women were usually behind the scenes manipulating events like spiders. I think that's why you don't see women being mentioned much.

I don't think it's meant to disrespect women.

I once heard a rumor (not ic) about Red Storm's Lord was actually a Lady and is in love with Tek, which is also the reason that Nak is in peace with Red Storm.

For all we know, the Council of Kings might have had a whole bunch of Queens in it.  It's just a name.
Tektolnes, Muk Utep, Luir (who was merely a servant of the Dragon) and Valasarus of Steinal are all men, and the Dragon was also presumably male.
Tektolnes' bastard black-robe son (Senior Lord Templar Cohran) is also a man.
I did read that most Allanaki black-robes are women, though, and the sisterhood of the Lirathan Order calls the shots in Tuluk.  There doesn't seem to be a lack of female Red Robes in Allanak either.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Also in the old council of kings were avangions. We have no clue what that could be, could be title for women rulers. It could also be refrence to something similar to dark sun's avangions, preserver dragons. Or could be something else. And just cause called council of kings don't mean all guys might been a few girls mixed in.

Though think cool if tek has a bastard daughter and she does the whole kill dad thing like tek did to his. Be intresting to see upheaval of some houses/templars falling and new ones rising. And oh Miss tek, if need a cabana boy count me in!

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

The Council of Kings' names may have been where we draw the names of the week.  If this is true, some of the names may certainly have been female.  After all, I doubt Ocandra was a male; it just doesn't sound right.  Even Terrin is borderline.  King is the ruler of a kingdom, so there's no reason it couldn't have been a neutral title referring to both genders.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Yokunama"*The states have these almighty figures Tek, Utep, and the Sand Lord, but wheres the almighty Lady/Ladies?
*If we have any basic knowledge on any almighty ladies, could someone please chime in?

Is this really what you want? Female figures of enormous evil that have committed horrible deeds?

That kind of "equality" I can live without.  :lol:

QuoteIs this really what you want? Female figures of enormous evil that have committed horrible deeds?
Yes.  Absolutely.

As I said in my other thread, I totally want to see more female defilers.  More female villains in general would be nice (though one can argue that to an opposing city, powerful female templars are indeed villains).

I don't believe it's basic knowledge, but I've known of at least one almighty lady entity in the game.  That was a long time ago, so things may have changed since then.

Perhaps there's an IC reason why females in positions of power have chosen not to assign an obviously female figurehead to their people.  Perhaps it was, as John said, simply the result of a RL bias on the part of the teenage boys that developed the MUD in its infant stages.  

I'd also venture a guess that once a being reaches a certain level of power, no small amount of sacrifice has been made in the pursuit.  The sexual drive or concern with gender roles in socetiy is probably no more important to a "Tektolnes" or "Muk Utep" than how the flame cheese in the Trader's tastes today.  I imagine they both have more important things to do with their time than revel in their manliness.

The state of the game also creates quite a hill for any would-be superpower, female or otherwise, to develop (if they haven't already) and assume a position of power over a civilization that rivals one of the existing Sorc-Kings (if they haven't already).

-LoD

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"
QuoteIs this really what you want? Female figures of enormous evil that have committed horrible deeds?
Yes.  Absolutely.

As I said in my other thread, I totally want to see more female defilers.  More female villains in general would be nice (though one can argue that to an opposing city, powerful female templars are indeed villains).

Heck yea! Women are much hawter than Utep and Tek. Theres nothing wrong with a woman having such power.

>drop pants

I support the "teenage boy bias" theory.  

I also support the "lost in translation" theory for ancient times.  In many futuristic settings "sir" is used for both male and female officers.  It is possible that "King" was the title given to a monarch regardless of gender, or that the word was something else entirely and "King" is simply the closest English translation.  Translating from Tatlum or Sirihish into English introduces Earth gender bias into texts that may have been gender neutral.  

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Heck yea! Women are much hawter than Utep and Tek. Theres nothing wrong with a woman having such power.

Yeah, but would a woman defiler be hot?
Quote from: "Help Gather"Defiling, as the first method is called, will typically cause a premature aging effect on the sorcerer
Hmm, sounds wrinkly.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I knew a female PC military officer that insisted people call her Sir.

And don't you know, Muk and Tek are really women.  Why do you think their two cities can't get along?  (Catfights!)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

It's also entirely possible that Zalanthas held sexist societies, but the sexism has gradually been ground out by the change in conditions. It's generally assumed by most players (but not most PCs) that Zalanthas was nice, green, and fully populated at some point in its ancient history. This would explain why a large proportion of the ancient big names were male, while things are balanced now.

jstorrie, how are things balanced now?  Muk and Tek are both male.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Does anyone wonder if people would complain if Muk and Tek were both female?  I fail to see how this is a sexism issue.  Men and women, in society, are equal.  What does the sex of the figurehead matter if, in theory, no man or woman is better than any other in their relative class in society?

Alternatively, I wonder at the population ratio of man-to-woman in the slave class of both city-states.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

I think they could easily be female and ICly the issue shouldn't be an issue because the world is supposed to view no social difference between genders, OOCly, I suppose I could see some people bitching. Honestly, though, I would like to see one of them female. I could see half her head shaved and tattooed in jade and long, dagger-like nails painted green-black extended to my throat. I'd quiver, I tell you, -quiver-.
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

Ever noticed how all mounts are male?

Maybe it's just easier to code all sorcerer-kings as males, like mounts.

Quote from: "Rhyden"Ever noticed how all mounts are male?

:roll:
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

I suddenly desire to see female kanks and inix and a neat little coded program so that when she's 'fertile' all the other kanks kick their riders off to find their own mount. *cough* It would also be interesting to be able to successfully breed kanks and have your own kank-selling business beyond just pirating found/stolen/lost kanks.

That was a tasty derail.

I want a Sorcerer Queen.
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

Thats not true. I had 'one' that was female.

>drop pants

Quote from: "Briarfox"...when she's 'fertile' all the other kanks kick their riders off to find their own mount...

I thought this was already coded when out in the Red and my kank went fucking psycho.  Instead, the beast'd just been kank baned.