Use of swear words in RP

Started by sarahjc, February 18, 2003, 04:41:24 PM

Quote from: "mog"
Quote from: "Lazloth"Fucking people with your bullshit.

How many times in the real world have you referred to a 'female dog' as a 'bitch'?  ..a cigarette as a 'fag'?  Puhleaze.

Speak for your own culture.  I come from a family of dog breeders and we use bitch in its correct form all the time.  Also fag is the common way to refer to a cigarette in most of the UK.

Apologies for posting two sheets into the wind, but even in my delirium, I'll stand by those convictions.  To posit that there is "a correct form" when detailing pragmatic connotation is silly.  Verbiage undergoes semantic shift constantly; from the top of my head:
sucker: origin in an animal weaned too early, now refers to a gullible person;
freak: origin in a style of dance, now refers to social abnormality;
tease: origin in a mode of hairstyle, now connotes leading someone on.

While maintaining the 'original' semantic sense in a given discourse is perfectly understandable, I would think that all of these terms, bitch included, more than likely denote the derogatory meaning (assuming you are not talking to another dog breeder, or what-have-you).  Finally, I think it's directly plausible that Zalanthan etymological evolution underwent similar patterning, and 'bitch' (as Rindan,et.al. have said) can find a home in speech.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Bitch is problematic to me.  It has only recently, the last decade or so, become a term applicable to men.  I've always understood this to have been the time it takes for a new meaning for a term to circulate through the population.  In this case bitch being applied to man came from its use in prison, IMHO, and eventually became part of our vernacular.

"Fuck you, Bitch" is only a few degrees removed from a PC talking about 'bringin' down the hizzy wit' mah mad bling bling', or 'sucks to be you' and other more recent terms.

I'd rather see people come up with a unique Zalanthan term to replace its use.

I don't blow a blood vessel when people use that term in that way, I just don't particularly like it.  I also know that having no problem with 'fuck' but not liking 'bitch' is somewhat of a subjective choice, but I'm nothing if not a riddle wrapped in an enigma shrouded in mystery.

CRW, I'd have to agree. I don't use 'bitch', but I figure everyone else is welcome to use it. I dislike it, but I won't 'pop a blood vessel'. I don't use 'hell', and I think 'the hell-pits of Suk-Krath' is a fairly lame justification for it's use. I could see a Sun Cleric talking about it, but not a 'Rinth pickpocket or a Bynner. But, if they feel like saying 'hell' constantly, that's fine with me.

It's a matter of personal choice.

I would, ask, however, for people to modify real-life curses in order to make them sound more Zalanthian. For instance, instead of just saying 'damn', you could say 'Krath-damned'. Just a small change. And then there is the whole 'fuck' and 'feck' issue, which I personally think is pointless. Others may disagree.

One thing though... I wouldn't have your character change his speech halfway through his life, randomly. If you're character's favorite insult is 'and your mother is a nutty old 'Nakki whore!', then why change it if he's been saying it for twenty eight years? Sure, 'nuts' don't exist on Zalanthas, and 'prostitute' may be more politically correct, but I don't think you'll be doing anyone any serious emotional harm in continuing the phrase. Besides, how long can a character with that sort of language live, anyways?  :P
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Get your faggots. Top-notch condition. Completely dry. Get your faggots. Perfect for burning your meal over.

Back about 12 yrs ago there was a piece of candy called "fags" that were a white stick with a bit of red at the end. Censorship changed the name, and eventually got rid of the red bit.  :evil:

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"Sure, 'nuts' don't exist on Zalanthas

Nuts do exist on Zalanthas   :)
color=violet]If life was like a box of chocolates we would spend all day inside being poked and eaten.[/color]

:shock: Wow! I think everyone and thier mom read this.. Glad I didn't proof read it and left the typo's in...

But I think what you all are saying is that its fine to use ordinary swear words regardless of what a dog may or may not be on Zanthas, and some say Cursing is Ok while others say its out there but the alternate words such as Feck are better..

So what all these muddy anwers are telling me is "Fuck you! Do what you want Bitch.. And expect others to do the same. :D  

It's just a matter of what your taste is and what kind of roleplay you expect of the game..
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Exactly  :)
color=violet]If life was like a box of chocolates we would spend all day inside being poked and eaten.[/color]

It's an extremely harsh game. I advise you read the consent rule and ask any questions you might have. ;)

In short, you can expect anything to happen, but we do not force people to witness graphical torture scenes nor do we force people to play out sexual scenes. ICly the scene still happens, but OOCly it doesn't. ;) (and I'm sure if you don't want a sexual scene to ICly happen exceptions can be made. That's not an official rule though, that's just player's being considerate. ;)).

Then what should I do? I don't know so much swear words in English. Could someone (Damn it's really a fucking funny request :) ) please teach me some swear words. My primitive language, Turkish has so much resources, the people from other countries in my University say. I just can't translate them. Oh ok... It's a weird topic. My all characters are going to be kind I think.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

*giggles*

You had to admit, this is damn funny.

You know what Fuck means right? Well if not it's something you say when something bad happens. (e.g. you just notice someone has stolen your 'sid. In english you go "fuck!").

Well variations to fuck is = damn, shit, krath-damnit!, tek!, god, drov, hell. Sands (very very mild)

Kank-fucker means someone who sleeps with kanks.

asshole = a term to describe a horrible person.

bastard = a term to describe a horrible male

bitch = a term to describe a horrible/moody female.

That's all I can think of.

Quote from: "Lazloth"
While maintaining the 'original' semantic sense in a given discourse is perfectly understandable, I would think that all of these terms, bitch included, more than likely denote the derogatory meaning (assuming you are not talking to another dog breeder, or what-have-you).  Finally, I think it's directly plausible that Zalanthan etymological evolution underwent similar patterning, and 'bitch' (as Rindan,et.al. have said) can find a home in speech.

I'll start with an initial note regarding the use of bitch in Zalanthas.  I think it is a valid word to use in the environment.

Regarding my refering to 'female dog' as bitchs correct form this was a slip of the keyboard stemming from my scientific background where a lot of words have a 'common form' that being the way in which most everyday people use the word and a 'correct form' which is the defined scientific meaning.

A classic example being the words hazard and risk.  Most people use the interchangably but the correct forms are (more or less I'm not digging out a standard for this):

Hazard - A potential source of harm.

Risk - The probability that any given hazard will occur

I do agree that in common usage the meaning of words alters and that these new meanings can become as valid as the root meaning.  I also tend to agree with the etymological argument for the adoption of words into Zalanthas.  If the root of a real world word or phrase can feasably have occured on Zalanthas, or is so archaic that no modern player is aware of it then it should be usable.

Of course all this is hypothetical because at the end of the day people will just say what they want.
 Manic depressive puss-wuss

Quote from: "Cenghiz"Then what should I do? I don't know so much swear words in English. Could someone (Damn it's really a fucking funny request :) ) please teach me some swear words. My primitive language, Turkish has so much resources, the people from other countries in my University say. I just can't translate them. Oh ok... It's a weird topic. My all characters are going to be kind I think.

As far as interesting swear words or insults go you should teach us some Turkish ones.  Either in translation or in the original.

Want to use an Allundean swearword whilst speaking Sirihish, then stick a Turkish one into the sentance, perfect.
 Manic depressive puss-wuss