Your fellow players love kudos

Started by Gimfalisette, June 30, 2006, 12:10:37 PM

And it's so easy to send them through the request tool, either anonymously or with the name of your character: http://www.armageddon.org/request

With the battle that's raging, it's an especially poignant time to send kudos to the players of characters who've died, just to let them know: Hey, I appreciated playing with you, you had an impact on my character, have fun as you move on. A player doesn't have to be the l33test RPer to deserve a kudos--they just need to have mattered to your character in some way (good or bad), or have been enjoyable to hang with, or have helped really make even one scene for you. People like to know that their characters will be remembered and that what they've done has had some impact.

Besides, we all know the imms don't have enough work to do. *runs from burnination*
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"And it's so easy to send them through the request tool, either anonymously or with the name of your character: http://www.armageddon.org/request

With the battle that's raging, it's an especially poignant time to send kudos to the players of characters who've died, just to let them know: Hey, I appreciated playing with you, you had an impact on my character, have fun as you move on. A player doesn't have to be the l33test RPer to deserve a kudos--they just need to have mattered to your character in some way (good or bad), or have been enjoyable to hang with, or have helped really make even one scene for you. People like to know that their characters will be remembered and that what they've done has had some impact.

Besides, we all know the imms don't have enough work to do. *runs from burnination*

This is so true, guys.  I had a severe low self image of my own rp regarding my last pc and having two kudos sent in about my rp has to have been the highlight of that entire character.  You'd be amazed at what a few kind words can do.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I've sent one :) to my character's lover-thing on the front lines. I doubt the imms will let the one bit through though, which will tell the player who sent the kudos.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Quote from: "MorganChaos"I've sent one :) to my character's lover-thing on the front lines. I doubt the imms will let the one bit through though, which will tell the player who sent the kudos.

So just to make sure they do know, you posted the info here! :)  Neato.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: "Medena"
Quote from: "MorganChaos"I've sent one :) to my character's lover-thing on the front lines. I doubt the imms will let the one bit through though, which will tell the player who sent the kudos.

So just to make sure they do know, you posted the info here! :)  Neato.
Well, there's tons of characters with lover-things on the front lines, and I didn't actually say which bit would make it obvious. I see nothing terribly IC-sensitive in my post.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club

I was under the impression that you don't have to do your kudos
anonymously, though that is what the staff defaults to if you don't make it
explicit whether or not your kudos should be anonymous.  They might check
to see if you're giving some sort of IC info or some jazz but otherwise I have
no idea why they wouldn't say which character it came from, especially if one
is dead.

- Ktavialt

Ooh! Ooh!

I hope it's me!
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Ktavialt"

I was under the impression that you don't have to do your kudos
anonymously, though that is what the staff defaults to if you don't make it
explicit whether or not your kudos should be anonymous.  They might check
to see if you're giving some sort of IC info or some jazz but otherwise I have
no idea why they wouldn't say which character it came from, especially if one
is dead.

- Ktavialt

Well, mine's not, so hopefuly neither is dead. Or mine will be quite put out. And the line isn't terribly IC, just tells which character I play, no more. So maybe it will get through. Kinda hoping it does. I don't know, whatever, new subject.

I've never gotten a kudoa and it makes me sad.  :(

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club

I always indicate which character the kudos came from, though of course I don't attach my GDB or account name or anything. The character info is fine, as the imms have previously said, and they always send it through for me just as-is. I prefer to send the kudos with my character name because then I can say "thanks for the great scene about XYZ" or "the relationship between our characters had a great impact, thanks" etc.

And Morgan--don't worry about not getting kudos. It doesn't really mean that you're not loved and appreciated. People are just forgetful about these things.

Heck, I have to prompt my RL -husband- to give me compliments and thanks when I deserve them. So it doesn't worry me that people I don't even know beyond their character don't do it.

QuoteAnd Morgan--don't worry about not getting kudos. It doesn't really mean that you're not loved and appreciated. People are just forgetful about these things.

I often get so caught up in the action that I forget to send kudos.  Doesn't mean I love the action any less!

Oh....I have a number to send out, when you all die.

Hint hint? Die quick.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

We don't have any problem telling the player of Amos that the player of Kali enjoyed playing with them.

If, on the other hand, Kali phrased it as:
"From the player of Kali to the player of Amos, I really enjoyed playing with you, etc etc and it really sucks that my character died."
(we'd check to see if Amos knew that ICly)
or
"Man, it sucks that Amos died, but to die to a _______ was one of the coolest things I've ever seen."
(Amos's player might not know how he died)
or
"Even though I was totally betraying you the entire 10 years we were mates, I'm really going to miss having Amos around."
(yeah, that would get censored)
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I got a kudos. Now I feel loved too. Spread the love, people! :)

I don't get any kudos.   :cry:    You and your kudos are making me hate my loner character.

You all suck.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"I don't get any kudos.   :cry:    You and your kudos are making me hate my loner character.

You all suck.

You would have been so totally showered with kudos if the request system had been implemented 1-2 years ago.  :P

I think everyone, their sister, and their kank wanted Ghosts's lovebabies.

Quote from: "Akaramu"
Quote from: "Ghost"I don't get any kudos.   :cry:    You and your kudos are making me hate my loner character.

You all suck.

You would have been so totally showered with kudos if the request system had been implemented 1-2 years ago.  :P

I think everyone, their sister, and their kank wanted Ghosts's lovebabies.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Hahaha, Ghost!  :roll:
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Thanks Akaramu!  It was good to hear that.  Unlike InsertCleverNameBecauseMyOwnIsTooUgly, you just saved hundreds of lives.

Quote from: "Ghost"Thanks Akaramu!  It was good to hear that.  Unlike InsertCleverNameBecauseMyOwnIsTooUgly, you just saved hundreds of lives.

You're welcome... oh, and can I have your lovebabies?  :oops:

Lol.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Akaramu"

You're welcome... oh, and can I have your lovebabies?  :oops:

Oh sure.  Just fill the application form and return it.  We will contact you later.

Man, you guys are kudos-happy.  I just forwarded 11 (yes, 11) kudos. :)

Quote from: "Vanth"Man, you guys are kudos-happy.  I just forwarded 11 (yes, 11) kudos. :)

Rock on. Vanth, thank you for always being so on top of the kudos. I notice that you are the one who sends most of mine. I appreciate it!

Yay Vanth.

(Not a single one was for me.) :(

*is a whiny bitch and knows it*

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club

Quote from: "Vanth"Man, you guys are kudos-happy.  I just forwarded 11 (yes, 11) kudos. :)

*checks email*

Are... are you sure you forwarded all of them? Maybe you missed one...

Man, this is like Valentine's Day in elementary school all over again.

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

*checks email*

Man, this is like Valentine's Day in elementary school all over again.
Especially the year I wasn't on the class address list, and only half the class remembered me.

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club

I keep sending myself Kudos. Yup, I'm -that- good, baby.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

Ah the pratfalls...

Even I'm getting kudos, what is this world coming to?  :twisted:

Now look at what you started.

(and thanks to the person who sent it)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

For that matter.. where the hell are all MY missives of adulation and admiration?

Vanth, you're hiding them from me, right?  All 11 were for me, I know it.

I got three.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

(just kidding)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

This is -purely- idle curiosity, but what was the player distribution of Kudos?

Was there a particular character or characters who got multiple kudos, or were they pretty dispersed?

Quote from: "davien"This is -purely- idle curiosity, but what was the player distribution of Kudos?

Was there a particular character or characters who got multiple kudos, or were they pretty dispersed?
You know, I'd rather not know the exact distribution.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Fair enough. I'd still like to know, though, if somoene is willing to pm it.

If not, that's cool, too. Can't hurt to ask.

Note: I am not asking -who- got the most kudos.

If your that interested...I got more than one.

But I don't see why it matters. My sweet roleplaying is not to be questioned.
And when they say that I am dead and gone, it won't be further from the truth..."

You all suck.

I've never gotten any kudos, but I have something else that starts with a "k". So, I must be doing something right.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Anonymous"
QuoteAnd Morgan--don't worry about not getting kudos. It doesn't really mean that you're not loved and appreciated. People are just forgetful about these things.

I often get so caught up in the action that I forget to send kudos.  Doesn't mean I love the action any less!

Yeah, I have to agree with this.  I wish I sent more kudos, but you are all just such good RPers, I feel like I can't pick one of you out of the crowd that easily.  :D

Really, though, I should try to send more of these.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I got one! In your face, all you losers without kudos! Yeah!

*throws up the horns*

Seriously, thanks to whoever sent that. Made my freaking day.

There are other imms who do this. :P

As far as dispersal, they tend to be fairly evenly spread around the playerbase.  When someone dies a public or infamous death, they might get a few right afterward.  Really visible roles like nobles and templars tend to get more in general, but there are also plenty of kudos for chance encounters with obscure characters.

I got another one, suckers :P

And yes, it's not always Vanth who sends them out. But Vanth does rock at the sending of the kudos.

Have you sent kudos today? DO IT. You will be making someone happy, and you will also make them think, "Hey maybe I should do that." They may also kudo you back, it's a great way to fish for a compliment.

Getting kudos is always nice.  It's also just as warm and fuzzy feeling to hear a past character of yours get a mention long after their death/storage.

What I would loooove to get is some constructive criticism on the things that I am doing -wrong-.  There is always room for improvement. :)

You know, that's kind of an icy slope.

On one hand, it'd be nice if there was something between player kudos and player complaints...

On the other hand, I'm not really sure if it's a great idea to open critique on every aspect of people's character interpretations, either...

I mean, everyone has a different view on it, right?

I was thinking yesterday that a "request player feedback" option on the request tool might be nice. You could request feedback from people you play with consistently, and probably since they play with you consistently they're not going to be all that harsh. I too would like more ways to improve my RP than just asking myself "am I messing up? what can I do better?"

That would be different - yeah. Solicited vs. unsolicited.

I wouldn't want unsolicited negative feedback on the way I play my characters.. There's already a bunch of people on the GDB that I'm sure would delight in spending hours just doing so.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "davien"You know, that's kind of an icy slope.

On one hand, it'd be nice if there was something between player kudos and player complaints...

On the other hand, I'm not really sure if it's a great idea to open critique on every aspect of people's character interpretations, either...

I mean, everyone has a different view on it, right? Wouldn't it just sort of serve to make you feel like crap after a while if everyone had something to say about everything you did or didn't do with your character that they thought you should or shouldn't do?

Constructive criticism is highly subjective, and the amount that people can accept varies from person to person.

If another character is getting completely confused by my emote style, I would like to know, so I can evaluate the issue and attempt to correct it.  If they are growing weary of repetitious command emotes that I use (yeah, I know I do, sorry everybody ;)), I wouldn't mind hearing about it.  If they feel I don't emote enough or can't get into my character or feel that I am far too two-dimensional, I want to know.

But, yeah, it would be hurtful if I got a "OMFG WHYYYY, WHYYYY DO YOU IMMS STILL LET THIS TWINK SON OF A BITCH PLAY!!!".  I would imagine, though, that the imms would be a bit judicial on what they relayed.

Kudos and constructive criticism are great, yes.  I love them.  However, it seems like some people are so insecure about their roleplaying that they depend on them to know how they are doing.  I'd like to say that I think you should have more confidence in yourself and your roleplaying.  Odds are if you aren't getting smacked by player complaints or by the IMMs with emails saying "YOU SUCK!  YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!" that you're doing a good job with your role.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't ask to know how you're doing.  You can always send an email the mud's way to get your account notes.  (I wouldn't recommend doing so very often though.  No more than once every six months.)  But that way, you get an idea of what the people upstairs think.

Edited to add: Just have fun.  That's what this game is all about, right?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".