Author Topic: Pregnancy And Poligemy(know I didn't spell it right)  (Read 13082 times)

John

Pregnancy And Poligemy(know I didn't spell it right)
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2003, 10:00:00 PM »
Quote from: "creeper386"
WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK ONE OOC WEEK = ONE IC MONTH?

It may be that way for monthly pay and everything
Because days go missing. When it crashes days have gone missing, when an Imm speeds up or slows down time days go missing (I think). Basically for all sorts of reasons days go missing, so people work it out by the date. On Monday it says 4th Low Sun, next monday it'll say 3rd Mid Sun (you know what I mean!), so that's why 1 week = 1 month.

Haven't you wondered why people get paid once a RL life when they should be getting paid once an IC month (which are the same thing cause of the days that go missing)?

creeper386

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2003, 10:19:44 PM »
I just don't like it. I'd rather even if days go missing, that things are kept together... One RL week in no way equals a month. If one day is an IC week. There are 21, 21!!!! weeks in a month, thats three RL weeks, that means it's 2 months and 1 week in one IC year.

Times already sped up too much as it is. No need to speed it up more. I'd say it'd be alot better to change it ICally instead of the monthly pay that you get paid three times a month. Things should at least fit together SOMEWHAT... I'd prefer loosing a couple days to loose WHOLE WEEKS.

It's just wrong.

Creeper who knows NOTHING about what this topic was originally.
21sters Unite!

Angela Christine

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2003, 10:24:52 PM »
Quote from: "Plazgoth"
Wow AC. Awsome analysis. I am not sure if the code would back you up but it makes a lot of sense to me. I have actually tried to figure out exactly how long from sunrise to sunrise it is and what I have found is that it varies.

Thanks!  And it only took 4 months for someone to reply!   :P

I got the numbers from someone on the old GBD a while back . . . Mansa maybe?

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "creeper386"
WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK ONE OOC WEEK = ONE IC MONTH?

It may be that way for monthly pay and everything
Because days go missing. When it crashes days have gone missing, when an Imm speeds up or slows down time days go missing (I think). Basically for all sorts of reasons days go missing, so people work it out by the date. On Monday it says 4th Low Sun, next monday it'll say 3rd Mid Sun (you know what I mean!), so that's why 1 week = 1 month.

Haven't you wondered why people get paid once a RL life when they should be getting paid once an IC month (which are the same thing cause of the days that go missing)?

Arrrgh!  The days don't go missing!  Read your age in the score, the score!  If you watch your age go up, you'll see that 2-3 age days go by for every apparent day.  Didn't you even look at my massive, multicolour post?  Bah, that's the last time I use colour for you ingrates!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

John

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2003, 12:06:02 AM »
Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Read your age in the score, the score!  If you watch your age go up, you'll see that 2-3 age days go by for every apparent day.
Yeah I remember you mentioning that before. But I always thought that coupled with that the days also went missing when the mud crashes.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Didn't you even look at my massive, multicolour post?
Well.........err......look is such a STRONG word, I'd say more liked glanced at it. Yes, I definetly glanced at it.

I found this entire thread confusing after a certain point so I stopped reading all the maths parts, I'm not too good at maths.  :roll:

crymerci

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2003, 12:13:28 AM »
Well, all I have to say is: if the time between sunrise and sunrise is not the same as the time shown in your age, that's screwy. I mean, things are already not going to match up due to crashes, etc. Why make it any harder?
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Necromyrez

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2003, 12:56:21 AM »
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.. and try to not make enemies at the same time. That being said...

Ahem...Why does it matter -exactly- ? It is a -fantasy- game. Not all things have to make sense..or even be compared to the real world. I.E. Zalanthan time vs. Earth time. If you think everything has to make sense and be realistic....try explaining magick.  :)

Have a nice day.

- Necro -

Angela Christine

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2003, 01:08:25 AM »
Quote from: "crymerci"
Well, all I have to say is: if the time between sunrise and sunrise is not the same as the time shown in your age, that's screwy. I mean, things are already not going to match up due to crashes, etc. Why make it any harder?

The reason time seems to disappear during crashes is because the apparent time (as seen in sunsets, and the time command) is reset to the actual time (as shown in your aging).  The time command has to be linked to the apparent time, because otherwise you would freak out if it said it was "late at night" but all the in-game descriptions indicated it was Highsun.  

The explination I remember, was that the guy in charge way back then wanted many years to go by in one RL year, so you could live through your character's lifetime in a few RL years.  But he also wanted a day to be long, long enough that you could have a conversation without it taking three days.  If the apparent time didn't "catch up" with actual time during reboots, then you would get 7 game years for each RL year, instead of 17 game years for each RL year.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

John

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2003, 01:16:44 AM »
Quote from: "Necromyrez"
If you think everything has to make sense and be realistic....try explaining magick.  :)
Alright, I will. Obviously zalanthan's aren't of the same physiology as us weak Earthlings, one of the things about Zalanthan's is something in their physiology allows them to manipulate the area around them. I believe this is caused by when a magicker concentrates in a  certain way their brain releases a specific chemical which then sends out certain types of waves (sort of like radio waves) only these waves only affect certain things. How the waves are controlled in my theory, is that concentrating in a way, will cause the chemicals to be slightly different so you get a different result. The reason that "spells" need to be spoken, is because this aides the magick user in concentrating, and in THEORY a magick user MIGHT be able to concentrate so much they don't need to say the spell outloud. However I doubt any Zalanthans are so advanced in their mind capabilities.

We like Armageddon to be as BELIEVABLE as possible (not realistic, cause magick aint realistic), and I know I personally get a kick out of things being thought of in so much detail (like with the moons and sun). God is in the details, and thankfully Arm's staff have taken that to heart. :D

[EDIT]: Thanks for that easy to understand explanation Air Canada. It makes a lot of sense now. :)

Necromyrez

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2003, 02:43:16 AM »
Quote from: "Necromyrez"
Quote from: "John"
Alright, I will. Obviously zalanthan's aren't of the same physiology as us weak Earthlings

Following that same logic...why would anyone assume that Earth is the same as Zalanthas? It's obviously different, look at the differing races, times, days, months, years, etc. :)

- Necro -

creeper386

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2003, 02:56:32 AM »
Necro, You obviously don't know anything behind the discussion. I beleive the reason this first post was started was because someone wanted to know how something works on Zalanthas.

Now, it has NOTHING to do with comparing something to Earth or making it logical, its about making it CONSISTANT. If things are different all the way accrossed, it doesn't work. If our OOC ideas of time, such as one week ooc in and IC week, but ICally thats not correct, it's not CONSISTANT.

Things need to be consistant, or it isn't beleivable. You don't need realistic to be beleivable.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Plazgoth

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2003, 08:42:59 AM »
If things are different all the way accrossed, it doesn't work. If our OOC ideas of time, such as one week ooc in and IC week, but ICally thats not correct, it's not CONSISTANT

I am not sure I got your full point creeper but here is what is accepted across the playerbase for coordinating things IC without having to use the means for OOC communication. These two examples are CONSISTANT:

1 RL day = 1 IC week

Explanation: So when your Byn buddy tells you that he ran into Lord Fancy pants last week, the player is letting you know that that happened yesterday.

This next one is a bit more vague but it is still used.

1 RL week = 1 IC month

Explanation: When your Byn Liutenant tells you that you will graduate in about a month, the player is telling you that the ceremony is supposed to be some time next week.

The rest of the arguments do not really matter. There is no point to match up days/weeks/months/years between IC and RL. No matter how accurate you get with it you get screwed because of crashes and Saturdays.