Insta-plot! (Re: Leading plot lines)

Started by Angela Christine, February 13, 2003, 09:23:02 AM

Bored?  Want an insta-plot of your very own?  Then take a nap in one of the dormitories that indicate many people sleep there all the time!  (Alternate version: pass out from drinking too much, and get robbed while lying in a pool of your own vomit in the middle of the tavern.  It makes a better story).  There is a pretty good chance someone will steal from you, and being poorer gives you good short term goals like "don't die of starvation" to work on.   :P  If you get really lucky, the thief will go to absurd lengths, stealing your entire pack, your belt, the cloak you wrapped yourself up in, and maybe even your pants!   :shock:  Why is this good?  Well, clearly you now have someone to have a vendetta against.  You wake up, and maybe you get a glimpse of the thief (you think it's him, because he ran away when you woke up rather than describing your attacker).  Then there is the fun of running down Caravan Road (or your local equivilent) picking up all your stuff that he didn't consider worth selling and dropped in the street, or checking the shop floors for items he didn't know where to sell.  If he stole your pants and your cloak you also have to deal with having your fun bits visible to everyone.  :oops:   This imediately gets the people in the tavern involved, as you stumble out of the dorm asking if anyone saw the blackgaurd that stole your pants, and also gives your friends, family, boss, and local law enforcement something to do.

If you don't want to risk being totally naked with no money to buy new pants, and I can see how that might not be everyone's idea of fun, keep some money in the bank or wake up often.  Waking up will interupt the stripping process, and with luck they won't have gotten around to taking your dignity yet.  Money in the bank is unstealable, and will allow you to buy coverings before the blistering sun and blowing wind causes very bad things to happen to your delicate bits.

The downside is that the thief may get himself killed, or his player could get bored and stop playing, effectively preventing you from tracking him down and extracting your pound of flesh.   :(   Your only recourse is to assume the nearest elf was responsible, and go after him instead.  :twisted:  There is also the possibility that no one will steal from you.  I've slept in plenty of taverns, and probably only got robbed 10% of the time, of course I wasn't trying to get robbed so I woke up as soon as I was fully rested.  Persistance is bound to pay off, and if you sleep often enough or long enough eventually someone will steal from you.

8) Angela Christine

Note: this is not a slam against Pickpockets and Burglars, anyone can steal from a sleeping target so in this case the "thief" could have been anybody.   Whoever it was may not even have thought about the mechanics of robbing a sleeping person without waking them, or thought about anything beyond "Alright!  Jackpot!" and then proceeded to strip you as quickly as possible before you wake up.

Doh!  This post was supposed to be in the leading plot lines thread.  Oh well.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Adult Content"Your only recourse is to assume the nearest elf was responsible, and go after him instead.

For all the fun with half the risk, just blame random elves for stuff anyway! No one will believe the poor chap you decide to pick on. Make something up, its good fun. Remember? You hate 'em skinnys. Get the local militia involved so its not just back and forth yakking and accusing.
 great evil walks Zalanthas...
Master Z has arrived from the west!

Hooray For AC. You always have such nice, thoughtful posts.

On a kind of related note, SMACK AN ASS! Fondle a breast!

It shouldnt be too Ic as it's been awhile, so I'll tell you about the most fun I'e had in a lil mini plot.

I pinched a VNPC's ass as she walked by. Thats it. Another PC saw me do this, and FLIPPED OUT. I had impinged on her honor, and he wouldnt tolerate that! It led to a nice little scuffle there, which I'm happy to say never got coded, as I was brand new at the time, and he woulda gutted me.

But it didnt stop there. Over the next few RL weeks, my char made it a point to get drunk and go looking for this guy. Throwing shit at him and shouting taunts as I vanished into the crowd... Mmmm.

I was finally caught, and tortured to death very nicely. Hooray. But it all started over an ass getting pinched. A VNPC ass at that.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

You know, I often do what AC just suggested on a regular basis. I'll often code sleep IG (and no, not just to regen either), and if I get stolen from, so what. This happened one time, got every piece of clothing stolen from me (pretty twinky I agree, but I don't really care OOCly that much cause I know the thief was probably a new thief) and I had a BLAST. I was extremely pissed off ICly, ranting and raving so much someone OOC'd "you shouldn't sleep IG as it leaves you very vulnerable to thieves" I cracked up. I already knew that sleeping was pretty much having a big neon sign pointong to me saying "steal from me", and I found the fact he felt he should OOC me so hilarious. I told him I didn't care less OOCly, and IIRC correctly (this next bit quite possibly didn't happen) someone gave me a cloak.

So sleep I tell you all, let yourselves be stolen from, and live it up. :)

Quote from: "John"I was extremely pissed off ICly, ranting and raving so much someone OOC'd "you shouldn't sleep IG as it leaves you very vulnerable to thieves" I cracked up.

Its an interesting thing when your play comes so full circle that you are doing things a new player might do, but intentionally to promote RP.

My most recent PCs have been a change for me.  They've hauled off and code-wise punched people who pissed them off.  They've openly ranted and raved about things best left unsaid, and generally been a nuisance.

At times I get the distinct feeling the players around me think I'm new, based on the way they explain certain things to my PC.  But its not that *I* don't know it, its that my PC doesn't have the brain power to grasp the concept.  And that is fun in its own way.

Purposeful ineptitude on the part of your PC can really brighten up a rainy day.  Get drunk and make a pass at a militia soldier.  Make ill-advised bets.  Start a fight you know you will lose.