Go ahead and pick up your lost sword I dont care..

Started by Delerak, February 10, 2003, 10:04:16 PM

I gotta ask how the fuck this works..

kill man
You attack the man

You disarm the man.

The man picks up his sword, smiling.

You wonder why you didn't attack him as he stopped to pick it up..

Why is it that sometimes you will, and sometimes you won't?

Depends on your skill v. theirs and the timing they pick up with, afaict

The combat system has a number of quirks to it.  Some are neat, some are annoying.  One of the annoying ones is that some times a person can snatch up their weapon almost instantly before your lag is finished.  If they pick it up while you are still lagged, I believe that they pick it up for free.

BUT if they don't pick it up while your still lagged, then you get in one hell of a hit. I think it's perfectly fine to be able to quickly get your sword straight away after being disarmed, but you'll also want to emote it. Maybe they rolled towards the ground so when you swiped at the air you missed. Something like that ;)

You don't get in a very hard hit, I don't think, usually they just parry mine if I do get it off.  I hate how gith can get up right after I bash them too.

If you use two weapons then your hit won't be very high, if they are using a 2-handed weapon you might rock them hard, if they are using a shield its a semi-hard hit or their shield takes it. I think the shield skill is checked if your -going- to be hit anyway. So it acts as though it hit you(your body) but no damage/stun is taken, as well as sometimes it hits your shield and shows up like it hit a body part. Or your shield blocks, and you still get the poison in ya. I just made up some of that as I went, but it seems to make alot of sense now.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I think its fine the way it is.  Already the lag on disarm is probably one fourth as much as it is for kick and bash, and the effect is much more potent than either of those warrior skills.  I've seen disarm abused horribly, but as it stands right now its a pretty useful skill.
Back from a long retirement

I, as well, have seen disarm abused, badly. Remember, -you- might not get a hit in before the person manages to grab their weapon back, but your buddy next to you that's dual wielding the two ultimate katanas of death will probably get in a couple good ones.

And they can't very well pick up a weapon that's been disarmed to another room can they?