Author Topic: Allanak Documentation  (Read 6011 times)

Halaster

• Legend
Allanak Documentation
« on: April 13, 2006, 08:05:52 PM »
Who'd like to volunteer for some documentation about Allanak's arena and games and the culture surrounding it?

Who'd like to volunteer for an Allanaki Roleplaying Guideline?

Who'd like to volunteer for a document about Legends Surrounding Each Noble House's Origins?  And the formation of the city-state?

Who'd like to volunteer for a document about Unspoken Rules and Etiquette of Allanak?

Volunteers should be good at writing - including spelling and grammar - and actually have knowledge of the subject they're volunteering for.

Email me to volunteer for one or more topics above.  Don't start writing anything because not everyone who volunteers can write it up (though I make take more than one volunteer per subject and mesh the documents together).
Halaster

Halaster

• Legend
Allanak Documentation
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 08:14:44 PM »
Who'd like to volunteer for Legends of Allanak.  Basically short little legends in and around the city.  Stuff like, "Some people say that there's a ghost who haunts Drov's Street late at night, searching for a kalan fruit".  Keep them short - I'd say 2 paragraphs or less.   Anyone can submit these - the more the merrier.

As before, email them to me.
Halaster

Cale_Knight

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »
Email sent. Hurray!
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Many Faces

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:02:52 PM »
Hmmmm....
 n
[Near]
The lauramarsian, female human is standing here, patiently.

You think:
  "She almost makes it too easy..."

This post was most likely written by a belligerent drunk, please chase with salt.

The7DeadlyVenomz

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 03:13:27 AM »
I'd love to do the document about the Arena. I don't know how much culture surrounds it, but if there is no defined culture, I am sure I can create some very good culture.

THe Arena has alwyas been a pet irk of mine about Armageddon.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Halaster

• Legend
Allanak Documentation
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 07:18:28 AM »
Reminder.  Email me if you want to volunteer.  If you post here but don't email then I'm not including you as a volunteer, heh.

Another one:

Who'd like to volunteer to write a document on Allanaki Festivals and Holidays, their meaning, and how they came to be?
Halaster

Aldiel

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:27:01 PM »
Sent you an email.
b]. / ^ \ ,                    
|| --- || L D I E L[/b]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  --Confucius

Intrepid

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 12:09:19 AM »
No response from the email I sent.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

LauraMars

• Helper
Allanak Documentation
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 12:10:17 AM »
Quote from: "Intrepid"
No response from the email I sent.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Halaster

• Legend
Allanak Documentation
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 09:30:24 AM »
I'm waiting a few days before I start responding, because I want everyone who wants to contribute to have a chance to email in before I start doleing it out.
Halaster

Intrepid

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 11:28:59 AM »
Quote from: "Halaster"
I'm waiting a few days before I start responding, because I want everyone who wants to contribute to have a chance to email in before I start doleing it out.

Good stuff. :D

Halaster

• Legend
Allanak Documentation
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 09:21:13 AM »
Ok, I figure enough time has passed and got quite a few people interested in this.  I've sent out emails.

I have 3 volunteers writing up docs for the Arena and Culture Surrounding it.

I have 2 volunteers writing up docs for the Legends Surrounding the Origins of the Nobles Houses, as well as that of the city-state.

I have 1 volunteer writing up docs for Social Rules and Etiquette (including an unspoken section).

I have 1 volunteer writing up docs for Festivals and Holidays and Religion (i.e. templars, god-king, and commoners).

I have 1 volunteer writing up docs for General Allanaki Culture - a sort of overview of various topics.

I have 2 volunteers writing up docs specifically for Allanaki Legends - however, anyone (including those who haven't volunteered already) are welcome to just go ahead and write one or two and send them to me.  Legends are 1-3 paragraphs long about a person/place/thing.  Maybe a haunted street, or  famous war hero, or who knows.

Thanks to all the volunteers.

The Rules:
 :arrow: All docs should be in TXT format as that makes it easiest on me to get it into a helpfile or web doc (depending on what the topic is).   A TXT attachment is fine, or just put it in the body of the email - either way works.
 :arrow: In some cases I have more than one person writing up something, so understand that I will merge the works together into one document.  I will, however, give credit where credit is due.  If you do not want credit, please inform me specifically so - otherwise I'll give you credit.
 :arrow: I'd like these done by the first week or two in May - the sooner the better.
Halaster

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 02:46:09 PM »
Another suggestion... for people writing on etiquette, a commoner's guide to interacting with gemmed magickers would do wonders, I think.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Anonymous

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 10:37:47 PM »
Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"
Another suggestion... for people writing on etiquette, a commoner's guide to interacting with gemmed magickers would do wonders, I think.

Clarification:

I think this might be better addressed in a "commoner views towards magick" document, since the Tuluki mindset about magick is fairly clear and different from the Allanaki mindset.

How any one person reacts to any other person should be a construct of in-character interaction.  I don't think we can say that "all commoners blah all magickers" safely.

Werdna

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 06:30:52 AM »
Could the person who is working on the Documentation for Allanaki Social Rules and Etiquette include appropriate titles to address other characters by if we don't know said characters name?

If one was addressing a Templar one would (I assume) employ an honorific like 'Lord Templar' or something along those lines, but what title would one use when addressing another of equal station (a commoner speaking with another commoner, noble speaking with noble etc) or addressing one of lower station (merchant speaking with beggar etc)?

Thanks to the players who have helped me out with those things, and many other topics, when I was confused.  :)

Cale_Knight

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 08:00:37 AM »
Generally speaking, the only hard and fast rule is that if you're a commoner, address all templars and nobles as "Lord/Lady Templar Whatever" or "Lord/Lady Whatever."

As far as interaction between commoners goes, nobody's breaking any laws if the lowliest beggar calls the head of House Salarr a shithead, but common sense applies: treat people who are more powerful than you with respect, because they probably know more people than you do.

In those situations, using the appropriate title (sergeant, merchant/agent, etc) is always a safe bet.

Nobles can call commoners whatever they damn well please, but how well the commoner is connected will generally dictate how they're treated.

Nobles call other nobles different things depending on the social situation, but in public they'll usually be at least semi-formal: "Lord Amos" or "My cousin, Lord Amos."

Jherlen

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »
For commoners referring to other respected commoners when you don't know their exact title, I've seen "Master/Miss/Mister" used a lot. "Master Salarr", "Miss Kadius", "Mister AideDude".
subdue thread
release thread pit

The7DeadlyVenomz

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »
Mine should be in on the 28-9th. I'm moving and will have no cable for a week.

facehugger

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 01:31:26 AM »
Quote from: "Jherlen"
For commoners referring to other respected commoners when you don't know their exact title, I've seen "Master/Miss/Mister" used a lot. "Master Salarr", "Miss Kadius", "Mister AideDude".

Miss/Mister has always irked me to no end. Whenever I hear it, I go out of my way to try and PK the person.  :twisted:

I've always thought Master/Mistress is far more suitable. Miss/Mister just screams of The Planet Earth.

Cale_Knight

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 01:47:15 AM »
Quote from: "facehugger"
I've always thought Master/Mistress is far more suitable. Miss/Mister just screams of The Planet Earth.

Well, I went looking for the history of "mister." Obviously it's an alteration of "master," but how recent?

Turns out the word dates back to at least 1447, so it's certainly far older than many of the words we use every day in game.

Aldiel

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 01:58:07 AM »
Quote from: "Cale_Knight"
Quote from: "facehugger"

Well, I went looking for the history of "mister." Obviously it's an alteration of "master," but how recent?

Turns out the word dates back to at least 1447, so it's certainly far older than many of the words we use every day in game.

Yes, but that's still a different world.  I don't think mister and miss are terrible, but I would use them sparringly.  Another word I don't particularly like is 'aye', but it seems like everyone uses it. *sigh*
b]. / ^ \ ,                    
|| --- || L D I E L[/b]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  --Confucius

Marauder Moe

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 02:05:00 AM »
The game does seem to be lacking an honorific to be used for non-nobles.  Mister/miss would work, but I agree that it feels weird in this setting.

Intrepid

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2006, 05:37:35 AM »
I would just use "Citizen" for commoners.

spawnloser

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »
That doesn't have the ring of respect for someone that should be above your character.  It's a great way for a noble/templar to refer to anyone else, though, in my opinion.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ava

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2006, 11:08:28 AM »
Um...why is it that inhabitants of the city states (at least Allanak) are called "citizens" instead of "subjects"?  Ol' Tek tryin' to promote a just, egalitarian society or somethin'?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :lol:

I really struggle with teh honorifickers...modern English usage is a bit removed from the words' real meanings, and the female titles are heavily tied up in the notion of marriage.

When I'm addressing someone without using his/her name, I use "sir" or "ma'am" (which is technically equivalent to madam, but doesn't get G.I. Jane props).  When I'm using someone's name and the tone of address is formal (difference of rank, or not a close acquaintance), I use "master" or "miss", with "madam" used only if the woman is well past her twenties.  These last needn't always imply any sense of deference; they can be used whimsically.

Code: [Select]
tell sergeant (saluting) Yes, sir!
tell sergeant (saluting) Yes, ma'am!
tell merchant (nodding deferentially) Thank you kindly, master Kadius.
tell merchant (nodding deferentially) 'Twould be my pleasure, madam Salarr.
tell bard (squinting suspiciously) You from up north, master elf?

Cale_Knight

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2006, 02:03:21 PM »
Quote from: "Ava"
Um...why is it that inhabitants of the city states (at least Allanak) are called "citizens" instead of "subjects"?

Citizenship in Allanak is huge.

Being a citizen makes you a billion times less likely to be dragged off by a templar without a reason.

It could still happen, but that tribal or Red Stormer on the barstool next to you is a much bigger (and easier) target.

Intrepid

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2006, 06:00:13 PM »
Quote from: "spawnloser"
That doesn't have the ring of respect for someone that should be above your character.  It's a great way for a noble/templar to refer to anyone else, though, in my opinion.

That's just it...I wasn't looking for something that made a native sound
above anyone else.  It's a very neutral sort of title, one that eliminates
gender and respect but doesn't automatically confer disrespect.

Barbarian...now that's a good name for a non-citizen in Nak.  Not Savage,
mind you, since that denotes a person who lives in a region far removed
from civilization.  Barbarian, on the other hand, is defined as a backwards
primitive living in an area near a perfectly civilized kingdom/empire/city
who steadfastly refuses to civilize itself.  Far more demeaning.

Larrath

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2006, 06:04:56 PM »
"Freeman" is a good way to address commoners below your station, or for nobles when they speak to commoners.

Between commoners, a polite honorfic:
Tuluk - darling.
Allanak - cunt.
Quote from: Vesperas
...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Intrepid

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2006, 06:11:08 PM »
One Nakki calling another "cunt" in polite conversation is a great way to
incite one to give the other a Brazilian necktie.

John

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2006, 08:01:02 PM »
Quote from: "Ava"
Um...why is it that inhabitants of the city states (at least Allanak) are called "citizens" instead of "subjects"?  Ol' Tek tryin' to promote a just, egalitarian society or somethin'?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :lol:
Because -everyone- in the city is a subject, from a tribal whose just there for a day to trade to a citizen whose never left the Red Walls.
Quote from: RogueGunslinger
On Zalanthas most sweat would evaporate instantly and cool you easier, because there is no humidity. The extra air-flow of a kilt would also keep things dry.

Halaster

• Legend
Allanak Documentation
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 02:56:17 PM »
Just a reminder about this.  I had a number of volunteers in the beginning, but hardly anyone has sent me a thing.  Could you do that soon if you volunteered?  Thanks.
Halaster

Intrepid

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 04:34:51 PM »
Just a reminder about this.  I had a number of volunteers in the beginning, but hardly anyone has sent me a thing.  Could you do that soon if you volunteered?  Thanks.

I am very guilty of this.  I will try to finish this either tonight or tomorrow
night.   :cry:

Marauder Moe

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 04:39:17 PM »
My dog ate it.

Seriously, though, I haven't forgotten.  I just keep thinking of more points to add in.  Almost done.

Also my boss keeps, like, asking me to do stuff.  :roll:  :wink:

Cale_Knight

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 09:58:21 PM »

Yeah... I had a good bit and then my computer exploded. I'll try and rewrite it soon.

Intrepid

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 12:35:56 PM »
Sent mine in.  That was fun.  I want to write some more.

The7DeadlyVenomz

Allanak Documentation
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 12:48:40 PM »
Sorry, get on it ASAP.