My Opinion of Tuluk

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, April 13, 2006, 03:45:40 PM

Hi. A month or so ago, in this thread:
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17459
Naiona ask for people's opinions on Tuluk. Now, I've always been very opinionated on this subject, so I quickly began writing my reply. Unfortunately, I got lazy, and never finished. I only answered the first question, but I answered it in, like, 700 words. So before I delete this from my computer, I thought I'd share it on the boards. Hopefully some will find it thought-provoking, not incendiary. Being incendiary was totally not my goal. I'm just a guy that wants to voice his opinion despite missing the deadline.
Enjoy.
------------------------------------
1) I OOCly dislike playing in this area because: Simply put, Tuluk doesn't feel like Zalanthas to me. I always viewed Zalanthan city-states as low-tech, brutal theocracies where literacy, free thought and scientific discovery are suppressed or unavailable. Tuluk and Allanak have many similarities. They both have slavery, largely illiterate populations, Sorcerer-Kings and Templars, noble house, and, most importantly, they are both very low-tech.
But for some reason, Tuluk seems to be much more "culturally advanced" than Allanak, despite almost identical restrictions to free speech and science. It seems unrealistic to me, or at the very least, "un-Zalanthan".
Now, Tuluk, as you Imms envisioned it, might not be superior to Allanak in art or culture, but this is how it seems. Tuluk's "refinement" and advanced cultural status, whether it is illusion or reality, stems from the extensive documentation on Tuluki traditions, like the Bards of Poet's Circle or the caste tattoos. Allanak, on the other hand, has very little to no documentation on their artistic traditions. There is a "Tuluki Roleplay" document, for example, with no corresponding "Allanaki Roleplay" document. The result is that it seems like Tuluk simply has "better" art, or "more" art, or a "more refined" populace.
This disparity in cultural definition (though it might just be a disparity in documentation), combined with the notably "less harsh" environment around Tuluk makes Tuluk feel like a completely different game than Allanak. First, let me qualify my statement about Tuluk having a "less harsh" environment. Tuluk has what I think is a better-developed ecosystem, giving it the appearance of less harshness. The common argument is that Allanak has mekillots, while Tuluk has bahamets, two creatures that could easily kill off most PCs, so the two cities are equally harsh. It's true, both the Northlands and Vrun Driath have "big nasties" capable of killing anyone, both have a risk of starvation or dehydration, both have region-specific pitfalls. The Northlands is "less harsh", however, because of its better-developed ecosystem. The Northlands contains creatures that are not immediately fatal to a newbie character, such as gurth, vestric, and goudra. The closest thing Allanak has to this is the occasional wayward jozhal. Allanak is more harsh than Tuluk simply because a 0-day ranger based in Tuluk has a minimal chance of survival, while a 0-day ranger based in Allanak has virtually no chance of survival on their own.
I do not, however, think this is a bad thing. Tuluk's "balanced" ecosystem is actually my favorite part of the area, its saving grace, if you will. The problem is that Allanak should have the same level of detail, for the sake of realism if nothing else.
Tuluk appears "more cultured" than Allanak due to documentation dealing specifically with Tuluk's art world. Tuluk appears "less harsh" than Allanak due to a more balanced ecosystem. The end result is that Tuluk seems far-removed from Allanak, and even Zalanthas itself. I find it absolutely mind-boggling, and a touch unrealistic, that Tuluk could retain its cultural values (with such specifics as caste tattoos and bardic tradition) during years of oppression, in a harsh desert climate, with a largely illiterate populace. In fact, not only did Tuluk retain these values, but they somehow managed to surpass Allanak in terms of cultural and artistic achievement during a very short span of time. Personally, if I was a Tuluki official, and my city was in ruins after years of oppression under a foreign power, I'd of used that stone for building roads, not commissioning statues... but I guess we should chalk that one up to the average Tuluki's fervent appreciation of the arts.
In conclusion, Tuluk currently seems, from both an IC and OOC standpoint, "better" than Allanak. It seem like a completely different game, as if Tuluk is to Allanak as Athens is to Sparta. Or, to risk exaggeration, Tuluk is to Allanak as the Renaissance was to the Dark Ages. While I understand the need to make Tuluk different from Allanak, I think those differences should have roots in realistic, IC reasons. And I don't think those differences should be engineered in a way that makes Tuluk appear more attractive or better-developed. Tuluk and Allanak should have uniquely different styles of art, instead of one city having "more" art or "better" art. I have seen some attempt to give Allanak its own, unique, relatively "equal" artistic style, but I would like to see more of it.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I decided I'd give my highly educated, well thought opinion on this matter as soon as I saw the title of the thread.

Tuluk rocks. :D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I love Tuluk by far better than Allanak. I mean, there -has- to be some difference in the two city-states, if not, what would be the point in having two different city-states? If Tuluk and Allanak were exactly alike, I would hope the Imm's would completely take one of them completely out of Arm because of that. I like having the option of playing in TWO completely DIFFERENT areas of the world. But, then again, maybe my opinion of liking Tuluk better is because I'm still new here, heh. And only on my second PC, but I played for a RL year in Tulukon my first PC and seemed to have gathered alot about it and seem to like it ALOT. Only time will tell I guess which city-state I truely like over the other.
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

I've never played in Tuluk.  I had two characters go there, but never really interact with the locals much.  That said, I think the fact that it's vastly different from Allanak (and the rest of the game world) is a good thing and I look forward to getting to be a newb again upon making a northern character.

I don't neccesarily think its illogical for Tuluk to be more culturaly and artisticly "advanced" than Allanak, though.  From my understanding, ever since the occupation the city's leaders have spent a great deal of time, effort, and money on music and art to differentiate themselves from the South.  Allanak's leaders, however, don't really have any pressure to change or develop anti-Tuluk counter-culture.

I would love to see more documentation about Allanaki culture, art, etc.

'nakki culture as it stands really does boil down to "don't piss off the templars."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Moe - I'm with you.

But possibly for different logic.

I also agree with the others that there need to be culturally different cities.

But I think that the Tuluk cultural difference is... irritating on a good day.

PLEASE don't make Allanak all artistic and full of bards... Even if I like the 'naki songs much better.

Tuluk could be different without being like it is today... It's a city where most shops are build in hut... I'd love to see tuluk turn into a place that's more influenced by their tribal surroundings.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"I would love to see more documentation about Allanaki culture, art, etc.

'nakki culture as it stands really does boil down to "don't piss off the templars."

I have to agree with the above sentiment; I've noticed that Tuluki society
seems far more complex and detailed than Allanaki society.  I would like
to see more docs on the latter.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Now, my opinion is probably a bit biased because Allanak was where I started my first character who lived nearly two months. But my current character lives in Tuluk, and I like Allanak better because:
(Note that these are my opinions, not claimed facts)

- Allanak is rougher. People are more mean, templars hate you, and they don't mind telling it to your face. You have to make an effort out of behaving correctly around them, or there will be consequences. In Tuluk, it seems that people are more friendly, nobles and templars hang out with the lowliest commoners in the Sanctuary, and to me it leaves less opportunity for "social layers" RP, which I enjoyed very much in Allanak. It also seems to me that there is surprisingly little interaction between nobility/templarate and commoners in Tuluk compared to in Allanak.

- Tuluk has one hot-spot where everybody are. It seems to me that Tuluki players spend all their time either in the Sun King's Sanctuary, or in their private quarters/barracks/estates. I've been in Tuluk for nearly two weeks, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've met someone outside of this tavern, who weren't just speedwalking from their clanhall to the gates or the Sanctuary. Everything seems to happen there, and nothing seems to happen anywhere else. Only one single time, in two weeks, have I met another PC in one of the other taverns. This also means that I'm forced to be there if I want to meet players. In Allanak, there's the Barrel, the Gaj, the Trader's, the Arena, and you can often meet people in the bazaar. Maybe I just haven't found the other places in Tuluk yet, but I have been looking, without finding anything.

- Life seems easier in Tuluk. Stuff is dirt cheap compared to Allanak, its surrounding wilderness is much safer (or so it seems to me) and I have yet to meet any "evil" characters (such as 'rinthers in Allanak). People are nicer, the environment is much more gentle, and food and water costs so much less than it does in Allanak. It doesn't portray Zalanthas' harshness and struggle like I personally think it should.

- Allanak seems more like a city to me. Tuluk is made of square blocks, separated by long, straight roads. The setup is rubbish (in my opinion), with the Poets' Circle close to the gates, and located as far away from the hot-spot as it could be. Allanak just seems to have more life, there's more little details like rooftops, alleys and things that make it seem like people live there. Interesting little out-of-the-way places, which I haven't seen in Tuluk at all.
b]YB <3[/b]

It would be nice if Allanak had more depth in its arts and music and general philosophies.

Tuluk strikes me as fake. It is, IMO, worse than the old Tuluk in layout and while I appreciate the depth and effort that has gone into creating the culture of Tuluk, it just don't work.

It doesn't work because focusing on the culture of Tuluk has made Tuluk seem stronger and some how magickally better than Allanak - as if the people are smarter or something.

This isn't the case (yet).  

What really needs to be done is several folks (I nominate me for one) need to sit down and hash out the culture and philosophy of the south.  We need to define it well and in contrast with Tuluk (to keep the current theme of polar opposites).

Now that I think of it - one of the problems with Tuluk is that it seems to have been built around (literally) bards and the bardic circle.  Doing this has removed any sense of desperate struggle for the PCs and probably the NPCs.

I mean - if you can concentrate so much focus on the arts, you are obviously not spending that effort on survival.    For great artistry and learning, you need great prosperity.  Great prosperity doesn't really fit in with the whole "apocalyptic theme."

Now, when the armies of the black city swarm the North and butcher every man, woman and child, THEN there will be some real Zalanthan feel.

When the bards have to go underground and play in secrete their national anthems of old....then you'll have music worth hearing.  Then you'll have poems worth repeating.

Until then - it feels too much like Harshlands (which I don't play, never have played and only threw out there because for the five minutes I did long it, I remember feeling like I was hanging out in Tuluk).

:-D

And don't get me wrong.  I understand and appreciate the immense work that staff has put into Tuluk.  It just don't work for me, which I guess is fine, since someone has to populate Allanak.

:-D
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

So, if you don't like Tuluk...

who's forcing you to play there?

There's good reason for things to be the way things are in Tuluk.  The city has basically been destroyed twice, and so they've had to rebuild several times.  Allanak was just built up and around, so of course the city would be laid out more helter skelter-- it hasn't been destroyed.  Tuluk was built up again, and with city planning.  Though, I must agree that I don't like the location of the Poet's Circle.

It's obviously going to be a much easier place to live because of the resources they have-- it's cooler, there's a forest, etc etc.  That's just the geography of Zalanthas.

Tuluk has a lot of tribal influence, but it's been formed into a city.  The love of art is still there.  With art comes knowledge.  The people of Tuluk have more access to knowledge than they would in Allanak.  With knowledge comes sophistication.  Commoners may not be very smart-- but they're obviously going to be more cultured than 'rinth rats.

Having just one hot spot may not be realistic, but some people like to have at least a little playability.  I don't have to go all over hell and half of Georgia to find someone to play around with.  And for those of you who don't like the way that the Way is used so commonly-- doesn't having one accessible spot help decrease the use of the Way?

Stuff is cheap because it's more available.  Wood is very available in the North.  The Northerners trade a good bit with the Tribals, you'd figure.  People are taught crafting trades.

Also, the city-states are MEANT to be completely different.  Tuluk would want to be as far from anything resembling Allanak, especially after the Occupation.  Also, people are always talking about playerbase, playerbase, playerbase.  With Tuluk and Allanak being so different, we can attract two different kinds of players (along witht he players who like both).  I at least would never consider Arm if it wasn't for Tuluk, and there must be at least a handful of others out there like me.

To the above poster:

I'm giving Tuluk a chance because that's where my current character is, and killing her off because I OOCly don't like the city as much as Allanak would be incredibly poor RP. Also, I've met friends and joined a clan which I don't want to just leave.

Note that I didn't say that Tuluk sucks and should be changed to what I think it should be. I merely stated the reasons why I like Allanak better. The only thing that I truly dislike to the extent of considering never playing in Tuluk again with future characters, is the fact that there seems to be absolutely nothing at all going on anywhere but the Sun King's Sanctuary. Could very well be that I'm just missing out on things, but that's what I have experienced.
b]YB <3[/b]

First off, bardess: Breathe.

This thread is not a "Tuluk suxxors" exchange, we're just examining some
basic differences between the two playing locations.

I myself like the concepts behind both cities, though I really do think that
the documentation for Tuluk is better.  I would like to see detailed docs on
all of the locations found in the Known World.  Yes, even Cenyr.

That said, my own personal favorite place in the game is...Red Storm.

Don't laugh.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

The "you" was for everyone in general, and your post just seemed to make the most points, Hymwen.

Also, to me, there's a line.  There's good RP, but if I absolutely dread the place or the game, I'm not goign to stay there in order to be a "good RPer".  There's a line between playability and realism, just like there is playability and good RP.

I also never said you wanted to force those changes on Tuluk, I'm just backing up why things are the way they are.  I also never said I liked the way things are in Tuluk-- just why they are what they are.

Tuluk sucks.

Ow! Ow! Stop that!
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Tuluk is the 1980's MacOS of Armageddon.

Well, to say the truth, I'm actually glad this topic was brought up again. For awhile, I've had a strong preference for Allanak, with all of its brutality and harshness and sheer difficulty that daily life can be there, the hallmarks of Armageddon that many would say. On the other side of the Known World lies Tuluk, with their bardic culture and arts. Now that I've had a chance to play both Tuluk and Allanak though, I'm finding that there are many characteristics unique to both Allanak and Tuluk that, when compined, make Armageddon perfect for almost any kind of roleplayer, while at the same time giving it the Zalanthan feeling.

If you don't get anything out of this post, my main point is that if Tuluk is played as it is intended to be played, the enjoyability one has in Tuluk can rival that of Allanak.

A few things I'll briefly compare:
Public Order, Culture, Environement, Criminal Front

Public Order:
In Allanak, public order is maintained almost entirely through fear. The templarate and the militia rule the streets and alleys through intimidation, bullying, and pain, amongst other things, all the while keeping the majority of  the common populace in a beaten state by limiting water and making the ordeal of living a simple hell. After all, if they're too weak and afraid, the level and amount of rebellion can be easily controlled. Through a PC's perspective, that makes it the perfect environment to give you that Zalanthan feeling of harshness, keeping your character on their toes and constantly on alert. It'll also keep your character busy avoiding detection, finding a way to survive, and even allowing you to be on the other side of the perspective, being the one to bully and dish out the pain.

Tuluk, on the other hand, holds their public order by having the populace feel safe, content, and relatively happy (distracted) enough that they don't even want to rise up. Since known magickers will die almost on sight, people are more able to relax without having to worry about what the gemmer in table right next to you will do. Also, the bards and music keep them occupied and content, despite the intense workload of the day. And, with those who are in power seemingly willing to help them, and bring them peace, the populace don't have much to fear in their nobility unless they mess up. In a player's perspective, it makes life easier for your character, freeing up your time abit to enjoy the social aspect of playing instead of having to worry about living and feeding your character, or avoiding torture and the like.

Culture:
The culture between the two city states sets the two apart almost as much as how they maintain public order. For Allanak, the brutality of the weather and heat forms their clothing styles, daily habits, and layout of buildings. In Tuluk, due to the easier weather and abundance of resources compared to the south, they are more vibrant and colorful. For players in Tuluk, it allows them to be imaginitive and express themselves through their characters more easily than in Allanak, while players in allanak really wouldn't have to worry about what to wear since what is worn is already necessary for the weather conditions.

Environment:
The northern environment is, undoubtably, more easier than the southern environment. Yet, because of the weather and layout of the land and culture, how the environment is suited to the city-state, or rather, the city-state suites the environment. For Allanak, since it -is- the desert, there is little to be found for a hunter to make a living unless your up for the big game. Even in that case, your hunter would be based almost solely in the city anyways. For players, that focuses them in the city, which already has so many different aspects to it that not having much to do outside the gates doesn't affect playability all that much. (Allanak has the rinth after all, what more can you ask for.  :wink: ) Players in Tuluk, on the other hand, (to make up for their lack of a labyrinth  :D ) are more geared to making a living off the environment, as there are more hunters and crafters available there.

Criminal Front:
In Allanak, hands down, has a much more ellaborate criminal front currently, in terms of players due to the presence of the labyrinth. It's a haven for those who are willing to play the cut-throats and swindlers, any character concept that deals with the lower levels of civilization can be fitted into the rinth. Now, for crime in Tuluk, this is one area about that city-state that I think could use abit more development, but anyways, because of the licenses that thieves can take, and the fact that assassinations can be ordained/accepted, it makes almost anyone a potential thief or a potential assassin. Your neighbor player could be an assassin hired to kill you, as well as the barmaid that is serving you. Even without having a rinth, Tuluk is almost just as dangerous as Allanak because of that aspect. (Despite this, it seems the playerbase hasn't taken much to the fact that anyone can be a thief or assassin. Though this is off-topic abit, I think using that part of the Tuluki culture more would do an infinite amount of good for players there, whether sanction more assassinations/thefts or whatnot)

So, while you as a player have the option to choose which place is more better or not, the city-states are there to be geared for a wide variety of people. Which city-state you like is likely dependant upon what you are looking to get out of Armageddon, , the current role, but in either area, it's likely you can get just as much excitement as playing in the opposite area.

*all based upon my own opinion and observations, so in no way are the things mentioned fact or decided upon unless its specifically stated in the docs.

I really like the last poster's viewpoint, and I'd like to add also that I think that Tuluk, whether or not it fits in with your view of Zalanthas, is a dangerous place. You really have no sort of idea of the things that go on, and it's not all undercover. It's right there on the surface, just not nessessarily in your face.

Tuluk, is, I think, just a little more Newbie friendly than is Allanak, and you know what? I think that is good. Yes, the city is too spread out, and some things are not where they logically should be, but you know what? Cities from one side of a state to the next are different in the real world too. If you really think it's that easy to live up North, if you really just don't like it, then don't live there. But it fills the spot for some folks, so I really think this over-analyzation of the Tuluki culture and it's position in the world we play in should stop.

It fits, and it belongs.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Visibly, Tuluk is a piece of art whereas Allanak is the type of place I wouldn't be surprised to find Fido the Dog NPCs running around.  Allanak still has a feel of the bad old days and is in horrible need of OOC rennovation.  If you look hard enough, you can still find NPCs who have descriptions which practically read:

A tall, gaunt elf

This elf is tall and gaunt.  He looks very mean.  I wouldn't mess with him if I were you.

A tall, gaunt elf is in excellent condition.

Where the average item in Allanak is reads 'a red hide cloak', Tuluk's equivalent would be 'a blazing-red cloak of supple leather'.  Tuluk has clearly been made for today's generation of players who wish for in-depth description.  Allanak still has the feel of a stock Diku MUD in many respects.  In Allanak's favor, however, I will say that it is an excellent place for noble plot and intrigue.

My only qualms with Tuluk are the unrealistic changes.  Like how the ruins once stood, literally, 2 rooms away from the Sun King's Sanctuary and now they stand more than 30 rooms away.  Or how this so-called "ancient" custom of caste tattoos is said to have always been around when it most definitely has not.  I played a Jihaen templar in Old Tuluk in the early 90's as well as many other Tulukis.  Even though tattoos weren't coded then they were still common in a character's main description and I can say with absolute certainty that there was no such custom of tattoos back then.  It would have been better to have simply started it as a NEW custom to represent NEW Tuluk, rather than lie by saying this custom has always been around.  I also think Tuluk possesses far more wood than is realistic, even for the Northlands.  Wood is a resource in the North, but Zalanthas is still a wasted, withering world.  The amount of wood required to make city walls and entire buildings all from timber would likely wipe out a good portion of the Grey Forest, not to mention infuriate a nation of savage, man-eating halflings.  Trees don't grow back that fast, so I think the longer Tuluk relies on wood as part of their economy, the more the Grey Forest should be seen to diminish.

Despite this, I think Tuluk far outshines Allanak in terms of appearance.  Furthermore, I've lost many a character in that city and think it's an ignorant statement to say it's any less harsh.  The geography of the North is more lush, but the city does not rely on magick as Allanak does, so it evens out in some respects.  It's SUPPOSED to be a slightly gentler climate (and I use the word slightly sparingly).  Besides, just because Tuluk is a haven for the arts doesn't assume it's a happy-go-lucky free-willed society where everyone has fun and nothing bad happens.  Believe it or not, boys and girls, but art and conflict CAN co-exist.

Yeah, bards kill each other up north so that they can be the winner without the scary competition.

I love that shit.

Bards are not just about singing.

You know, I was thinking about it the other day, how so many Northern characters seem to be about trying to be a bard, and when I drew a real-life comparison, it's sorta like my old block, where every other youngster wanted to be a rapper or NBA star, me included. It's an obssession and a serious part of the culture there, so it really does fit in.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Yeah, bards kill each other up north so that they can be the winner without the scary competition.
PCs actually do this? I've wanted to do this for a while, but I'm surprised the "tree hugging hippy Tulukies" PCs are actually doing it ;)

Basically, there's not enough treachery in Tuluk. Far more people need to 'disappear' than they do, as this isn't something that just the Templarite do.

Tuluk needs far more assassins, and far more thieves, and far more dead people. So stop playing middle-class merchant types that get on with everyone, and start playing villainous bastards. If you see the slightest advantage in having someone disappear, even if it's just not having to look at their face anymore, hire an assassin. PLEASE!

Quote from: "Pantoufle"
Where the average item in Allanak is reads 'a red hide cloak', Tuluk's equivalent would be 'a blazing-red cloak of supple leather'.  Tuluk has clearly been made for today's generation of players who wish for in-depth description.  

the sesquipedalian agafari-eyed man gets a small portion of a mouldy piece of baked dry brown wheat hardbread from a green tassled, gray fringed leather and sandcloth beltpouch.

Yep.  They sure do.

I'm on the fence about Tuluk. To be honest, I haven't played there much, and I have had a lot of fun when I have. There are aspects that I like and don't like about the city, though I could say the same about Allanak.

I find Tuluk to be a strange mixture of interesting, indepth ideas and off the top of someone's head, illogical cultural idiosyncrasies.

I love the massive hate and immediate violence responses that are cultural to Tuluk. It makes sense and makes sekrit magickers all the more dangerous and interesting up North. I like the difference in landscape. It makes for a refreshing change of pace, much as we may love Allanak's bone dry desert. The art and musical side of Tuluk, while perhaps a bit over the top for Zalanthas, also offer a different aspect to gaming and roleplaying around Tuluk. I like what one of the previous posters said about Tuluk being more about keeping its people (relatively) happy and safe to keep them under control. It's a nice change, since, at times, Allanak's grittiness feels gritty for the sake of having grit.

I do, however, feel Tuluk is too similar to Allanak. Not that it is constructed or described the same, or even has the same feel. However, it has a very similar arrangement of noble houses, though some of the rules and ideas are different (Disclaimer: I have not worked especially close with Tuluki nobles). It also has a templarate that serves to keep citizens under control, as well as to protect the city. Granted, people vanish instead of being thrown in the arena, but it's all the same in the end. I've never understood why they maintain so many similarities to Allanak. It seems, in all of their attempts to be different and seperate, that some of these would have faded away or, more likely, changed masks and at least pretended to play a different role under a different name.
Also, I don't particularly like the artist thief/assassin business. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea and I'm sure it's fun gameplay, but I have trouble believing it. It's never really made sense to me. Maybe I haven't played closely enough with these circles, or maybe I missed an important helpfile somewhere. Or maybe I should just shut up and enjoy the fact that it can lead to fun plots and characters. :) Whatever the case, it never really clicked with me.
Jihaen and Lirathan Templars are seperated by sex, if I'm not mistaken. While I'm not a big fan of the total gender equality of Zalanthas, I feel it should be consistant. You could not place all male mercenaries in one unit of the T'Zai Byn and all the females in another without raising some issues about following the rules and structures of the world.

All of that said and done, I have enjoyed playing in Tuluk, so I don't have any complaints that aren't personal nitpicks. For now, I think I prefer the south, but, hey, bunny-hugging might grow on me.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Pantoufle"Visibly, Tuluk is a piece of art whereas Allanak is the type of place I wouldn't be surprised to find Fido the Dog NPCs running around.  Allanak still has a feel of the bad old days and is in horrible need of OOC rennovation.  If you look hard enough, you can still find NPCs who have descriptions which practically read:

A tall, gaunt elf

This elf is tall and gaunt.  He looks very mean.  I wouldn't mess with him if I were you.

A tall, gaunt elf is in excellent condition.

If you see an npc with a description like that, use the typo command please, because I sure don't see that in Allanak anywhere - but perhaps I've missed it.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev