The Way and new characters.

Started by Dizzy kank, March 30, 2006, 09:09:15 PM

Quote from: "Angela Christine"You know that expertise with the Way is extremely variable, so work that into your roleplay.

No, what my character knows is that %99.9999999 of everyone in the world is great at the way, and somehow, every now and then, some complete idiot (read: new PC) manages to get through life without, apparantly, having ever used it.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

With my first PC I thought that the desert elf who contacted me to get around the language barrier was a mindbender  :roll:   Then at some point I looked up help contact and was no longer that stupid.

Newbie contact is harsh, but it does get better fairly easily.  I like the way how it is.

Quote from: "Angela_Christine"As for newbie psionics, I think it is ok the way it is. If you think you are dealing with a newbie ask them to meet you somewhere rather than psi you.

Part of the trouble is that no one does the latter. Another part is that it is nothing but frustrating to sit and fail contacts over and over then have to wait for your stun to come back. I don't think anyone wants to spend 10 rl minutes trying to contact someone, send them a one line message, then break contact instantly for fear of passing out. You'll probably get a message back something like "I'm a busy man. I can't meet you personally right now, but we can mindspeak about it." I know newb contact still drives me nuts, even though I've already suffered through it and know the ropes my share of times.

QuoteYou know that expertise with the Way is extremely variable, so work that into your roleplay.

This just doesn't work from an IC perspective. Everyone that everyone interacts with on a frequent level is good enough with the Way to punch out a bunch of secret messages in no time flat while at the same time chatting up Slutty McAidealot. It's not that the person has poor expertise with the Way, it's that they're grasp of it is that of someone who has never used it before. People have to scramble up an IC justification for why they suck at the Way, and it's almost always silly. "Oh, I'm just not real good at this mind stuff." or "The Way's real hard for me." then three weeks later they're psiing you about how to cook scrab heads while sparring and juggling bone-bladed chainsaws.

The Way, as we use it now, is an essential part of life. I would actually love to see this changed, but, until it does, noob contact is always going to seem like nothing more than a frustrating game mechanic to me. One that probably has cost us a decent number of players.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"Slutty McAidealot

Ah ha ha ha.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

QuoteThe Way, as we use it now, is an essential part of life.

Maybe it's not supposed to be used the way you're envisioning it being used, or how it is commonly used.

If the skill is upped, we'll know that's the intended usage.

If it remains the same...we'll know it's something that -is- supposed to come with more time using it.  Hey...if you get more involved in plots where you can't speak with someone directly, you'll get better faster.  If you get more involved in plots with people directly around you...you'll use it less, because it's less necessary.

Strong ability with the Way is something that comes from necessity in my mind, not something -every- person will just have.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Okay, let me contradict some of you people.

The Way is NOT hard for new characters.  It is only even SLIGHTLY hard in your first day of play and if you use it at all, by the second day of play you should be able to use it relatively easily.  One thing I would suggest, though, is that new users of the Way may feel better doing it (and thus accomplish it more and learn faster) if they are COMFORTABLE  :wink: when trying.
quote="spawnloser"]Masturbate.[/quote]

QuoteThe Way is NOT hard for new characters. It is only even SLIGHTLY hard in your first day of play and if you use it at all, by the second day of play you should be able to use it relatively easily.

I must say that I completely disagree, and think that the above is untrue. Unless your characters spend the entire first day of playing time on their back, contacting people as soon as they recover enough stun points to do so...
b]YB <3[/b]

Your mileage may vary, I suppose.
quote="spawnloser"]Masturbate.[/quote]

Of course the Way is easy when you know the code, you know to sit, you know the limitations of new characters, etc. That's really not the point, though. The point is how it operates for new players, who don't know these things. Regardless of how easy or simple people may say it is, the fact remains that we have all seen  pretty much every newbie ever pass out, usually more than once trying to get contact to work. Most of us, I'd wager, have been this newbie, too. And, honestly, if I hadn't had a friend who was already in the game, telling me how awesome it was, I probably wouldn't have been willing to spend the rl time it takes to recover stun, wait to regain consciousness, sit and try and try to contact. Maybe I give up to easily, but I'm not alone.
eeling YB, you think:

Hymwen's pretty accurate. Unless you found some spot, rested your character and continiously contacted random keywords the Way IS difficult to learn. What's worse, it is difficult to learn for new players, who are yet not fully aware how skills are learned, etc.

In my opinion, the way is a completely 'warped' concept. It helps those who dont need help, and screws those who dont. What I mean by this, is that the way communication is indeed mostly beneficial due to playability issue. It doesnt increase the roleplay value of Armageddon, perhaps it actually slightly decreases it, but in terms of playability it helps the Arma experience considerably, unfortunately in a way most opposite to what it should be.

At the moment, the people who are in greatest need of playability aid are completely crippled in way, and people who are already established and set up, can use the way so easilly and freely, they end up with a constant option of having their conversations 95% safe from eavesdropping.

I wouldnt mind making the way more difficult or limited to established people, but I would most definately prefer newer characters being more versatile about it. Even if it meant a gradular decrease in affinity towards the way with age, etc. Though I fear by 'age', i mean the days the chara was alive for, not the actual age of a chara.

Quote from: "Dizzy kank"Alright, seriously... using the Way is far too hard for new characters. It costs like 30 stun points to try to contact someone, and fails something like 5 out of 6 times. It's practically impossible to rely on it in any way. My character is 3 days old now (3 days played, not existed for 3 days), and it still takes me up to 5-10 minutes to deliver a message to someone because I have to contact, fail, contact, fail, contact, fail, contact, fail, rest, contact, fail, contact... it's ridiculous. It should either fail often or cost a lot of stun, not both. Do we have to sit and twink-train it when we don't need to so that we can actually use the damn skill when it's necessary?

Just twink train it like we all do.

*watches his characters nostril beginning to bleed, and nods in satisfaction*

You prove strong with the force young jedi.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Contact is probably the easiest skill to get to a playable level.

You whiners are lucky it's not up to me, because if the Way managed to survive my first few seconds in charge intact, I would at least make it far, far more dangerous to use in public places. I'm talking a low, low cap for EVERYONE except Psion's, and much stiffer penalties for 'suffering' and contacting. It's a necessary evil, for playability, but I would drop it in a second if I could.

As it stands, I've never had a character fail contacts more than twice after the two-day mark. It's a bitch in your first twelve hours, but if you're making friends and using contact, you ought to see improvement fairly quickly. Suck it up, guys.

I once had a guy hire me to carry a note to Tuluk. Though I never made it, I found out later, with another character, that the note had been lifted from my corpse and carried on. Changing hands a few times, it went through a 'sub'-plot, giving alot of fun to random others. It was eventually returned to the sender. None of this amusing stuff would have went down if the sender had cheezed it and used the Way yet again.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

The trouble is, everyone keeps saying how easily playable the Way is. I am not disagreeing. I can get a character to an easily playable point in no time without passing out. I'd think just about all of us, people who have played the game a while, can. That's really not the point. Some nw players aren't going to just "suck it up". They're going to "leave the mud". We've all seen it happen, I'm sure.
eeling YB, you think:

No one will just "leave the mud" if they pass out.  The way _is_ hard for new characters.  

I recently saw an experienced player pass out.  It can be difficult.

However, like all annoying things, our characters do get better.

You might die if you can't ride your kank and you're depending on it to get away from a Gith.  You might die if you pass out in the rinth with your obsidian studded underpants on....

The game is about dying and getting better with skills and dying anyway.

Eh.

Poor skills sucks - especially ride and contact, but so it goes.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I'm -really- getting sick of people asking for change for a reason, and when it's argued against, the new argument of 'it's going to scare away new players' comes up.

Seriously.  Cope.  Hundreds have done it before you without complaining about it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

When I first started playing, there were no stun points (they weren't introduced untill a years later). Instead, the way ate movement points, and hit points. You could, literally, Way yourself to death.

I'm content with it how it is, with a few very minor changes.
Tlaloc
Legend

I still firmly believe that it's damaging to a new players experience. The amount of time that can be put into accomplishing nothing because your character sucks at the Way and everyone else uses it like it's going out of style is frustrating and not particularly fun. It's also one of the first things that players who come in looking to roleplay (rather than a gith or scrab, for those coming in to kill shit) experience.

However, it seems moot at this point, so I'll just have to agree to disagree.
eeling YB, you think:

Bloodfromstone>

It sounds, to me, that you are expressing the feelings of an experienced player with a character new to the way.

I've never heard a newb complain that the way sucks for them and they feel left behind because everyone else is "using it like its going out of style."

Here is my reasoning:

1. Newbs are generally blissfully unaware of what is going on behind the scenes.

2. Newbs have no idea how good they can get with the way so bad seems average.

3. Newbs have a lot more to learn about the game than the way and will likely die first to scrab, gortok or guard.

I would go so far to say that is sounds like you, personally, are frustrated with your new character's suckiness with the way and that positioning yourself as a defender of the newbs is a little dishonest.  

Not meaning offense here. Just my thoughts.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I'm afraid you're mistaken, in that case. I'm currently playing a character who has been practiced and capable at the Way for some time. I'm a bit surprised to be accused of that, since this has been one of my personal pet peeves that I've brought up several times in the past, and not in relation to me creating new characters. It's just a tad presumptious to say that I'm positioning myself as a defender of newbies to try to pull a point.

Newbies trying to get into the RP atmosphere do get an idea of how other people use the Way and rather quickly, in looking for a job, trying to make contacts, meet friends, whatever. My first real character was an Atrium aide, and I learned pretty damn quick that all of the Hosts, Lords, and Ladies of the world have no trouble barraging someone with an array of messages, whereas a newbie who has never punched in the contact syntax before is lucky to make a connection without having to rest their stun back to full more than once. They are also not blissfully unaware of the fact that they are told to find someone's mind, only to pass out in the attempt, and have to wait a pretty good amount of time waiting to awaken.

As for point three, I addressed that in my previous post. Newbies who step into the game understanding a full roleplaying enviroment (the ones who create a bard or merchant type, because they're excited that you can do that on Arm) encounter this problem first, not all newbies of every kind.
eeling YB, you think:

Quote from: "Armaddict"I second Halaster's opinion on all counts.

~shrugs~
I do not mind having to work at 'contact', in order to make it a useful skill.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

To me, there's two parts to the problem. The first is the difficulty of using the Way on a new character. I just started a new character today, and since this is a popular topic right now, I decided to do a little test. Doing 'contact man' until it succeeded, it took me first 11 attempts, then 8, then 10, 5, and last 10 again, to even establish contact. At approximately 25 stun per attempt while resting, or 40 while standing, you can probably imagine how long it would take for a new player to deliver a message. Sure, it'll get better, gradually and slowly. But it will suck major and be utterly unreliable as a means of communication for quite a while. I know that it'll get better, but does the new player who just passed out for the second time trying to contact his employer know? If your first experience in a game is to have that happening to you when doing exactly what the help file and your employer tells you to, are you getting a good first impression? Like I said earlier, in my opinion, agree or disagree if you will but I firmly believe that I have a point: for a skill that you are encouraged and often required to use, it is way way too hard for a new character to do.

Which brings me to my next problem: people not considering the above when dealing with a new player. "Find my mind by dawn, recruit" doesn't help the new player much when it can easily take him 10-15 RL minutes to establish contact. If you ask a new player to reach your mind, especially if you tell them that it's important, then please please please remember that it will cost a new character, on average, something like 200 stun to reach you, and 20-30ish stun per message they want to send. Ironically, some of the (IMO) easiest and most newbie-friendly roles, i.e aides and merchants, are the ones who require you to use this skill the most. I can count on two hands the amount of times that I, during my first month, had people get impatient, grumpy or actually angry at me because I couldn't reach their mind in what they considered to be appropriate time, when in truth, I was lying on my back in The Generic Tavern's sleeping room frantically wringing my brain to reach them, risking passing out and having all manners of undesirable things happen to me.

My suggestion? You can increase the cost if you want, to 50 stun per message for all I care. I don't think the Way should be your IC cellphone. But give new players a chance to reply to the voices in their head and, if nothing else, tell their employer/teacher/angry templar that they suck at the Way and request a meeting in the flesh. Make contact an auto-success skill, or at least a much better chance than it is now. The first many times I tried to contact someone, I got the idea that the skill was broken or that I didn't have it. I was extremely annoyed at the chore of finding people's mind because I knew that it meant ten minutes of suffering and risking my health and possessions.
b]YB <3[/b]

I am honestly against more changes with Way IG. I know it could be hard for a new characters, but I like it as it is. But if this is that huge trouble for new -players- perhaps more information might be included in some documentation used by new players most (QuickStart, FAQ...)? I took just a very brief glance, but I didn't find much about this, other than simple explanation what the Way is.

They are going to pass out if they can't reach the person's mind.

Perhaps a new check for first and second Pcs?

You are on your first pc, at 9 stun.
You try to "contact boss man"
Ginka checks your stun, checks how many characters you have had, then says "You will faint if you continue to contact. Enter the command again if you want to proceed."
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I've put in a change that will give a bonus to contact the person who is in contact with your mind.  So if you contact back while your boss is still in contact with you, you'll have a greater chance of success.  If your boss has moved on to contact another of his flunkeys, you'll be at where you were.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Elegant and logical solution.  Thanks... um.... yet again.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.