Religion

Started by spidey, September 28, 2002, 08:35:56 PM

I was wondering if there was religion in Zalantha?  I was searching the helpfiles and didn't find anything on the subject.  If there are can they be listed publically with their sort of tenants?

I've seen a temple or two in Allanak, plus the elementalist ones.

I was wondering if PC's followed religions?  Templars are considered warrior-priests.  And I would assume a priest would follow a god or faith and therefore have a religion.  Or is this faith based upon a King?

If religion does exist do common place people (laity) follow it?  Are there different sorts of religions for the different races?

Thanks

To make a long story short, yes there are religions.

The bulk of the masses worship either the god-king Tektolnes (allanak) or the god-king Muk Utep (tuluk).

Other then those two, you'll have to find out ICly
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I'd like to tell you to look up the topic in the archives, but unfortunately, I don't know how to access them anymore. This topic comes up every six months or so. Here's a summary:

Players are encouraged to decide on their own religions, and feel free to share them with others.

Many people 'worship' Tek or Muk Utep, but for most it is simply paying homage to someone who could smash you like a bug if they wanted to. A portion of those worshipers are simply hedging their bets/playing, or do it for the social implications.

Some elementalists actually worship their elements, but not all. The Temples are set up more as a place of study than worship.

There have been many other small religions that people have made up. None that have really caught on, but it might be interesting to try :)

Anyhow, that's the highlights of the usual discussion as I recall. That and a lot of advice to make up your own spirituality.

Cerebus

Hmmmmm *Gets the idea to starta  cult*

"Alright now Everyone drink the poisoned red coolaid... After you'vea all passed to the commit I'm going to clean up the mess and drink the BLUE coolaid."
ot Milk?

Yes and no.

You'll find there are some non-city tribal cultures that are definately of a more spiritual bent, but these are best discovered by playing.

I would not quite put fear/devotion of the god-king to religious levels for most of the populace. I'd say that's more idolotry.

But IMHO if you want to worship Zorgoo the Mutant Mek God, that's perfectly a-ok.
se K.Y. jelly to grease up your chihauha and set him loose in the sewers to establish a beachhead for your underground empire.

So then there are no real sort of GODS that exist in the game? Or a type of mythology? It is bent on more social worship that is developed from ones own belief system (that can be shared amongst others).

just clarifying is all.  thanks

AFAIK that's correct on the most part. There are some people who have their own personal gods, but none of them ever catch onto others. Desert folk are more likely to have that sort of religon then city folk.

It seems that desert types have more of a 'primal' kind of religion.  I can't think of the word for it, but it's the naturalistic kind of thing, as in, deity is present in everything, be it the sand, the wind, etc. etc. - and not an actual reach out and touch you kind of god.

This is of course a rough generalization and I could be wrong.  But it's the take I tend to have on things... generally speaking, you're welcome to worship anything you want, though, uh, I wouldn't go running around yelling it through the streets of the city.  Might be taken as blasphemy.  And that's one tough cookie.

Mmmn...cookie.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Ive seen a few element based religions come by that werent even founded by elementalists. Alot of people find it easy to worship the sun or the moons because they are such a permanent figure, and alot would happen if the sun ceased to rise...

Several ancient cultures worshipped the sun, and im sure if you looked into it you could find some way to connect it to Allanak, but this was just an example, and a kinda easy way out.

A really neat thing would be to see someone worshiping a kank. hehehe.

A kank covered in yellow-dye has arrived from the east.
"All praise the golden Kank!"

Anyways,
Jenred :shock:

Quote from: "Samoa"It seems that desert types have more of a 'primal' kind of religion.  I can't think of the word for it, but it's the naturalistic kind of thing, as in, deity is present in everything, be it the sand, the wind, etc. etc. - and not an actual reach out and touch you kind of god.

The word you're looking for is pagan.  *shrug*

Many religions have come and gone, most of them centered around natural forces.  I tend to hold that templars and many noble families worship Tektolnes as the Savior and Creator of Allanak, the same holds true for Muk Utep (The Sun King) in the Northlands.  Ever since Tek ended the Seige by appearing as a big dragon and (let's say...) disposing of the besiegers he's become much more of a savior figure, though one who rules through fear.

Speaking of Tek, he now has his own Magic: The Gathering Card (Not making this up!!!)

Is that a gith in front of him too?

Quote from: "Samoa"
It seems that desert types have more of a 'primal' kind of religion.  I can't
think of the word for it, but it's the naturalistic kind of  thing, as in, deity is
present in everything, be it the sand, the wind, etc.  etc. - and not an
actual reach out and touch you kind of god.

That would be animism, 'the attribution of a soul to natural objects and
phenomena.' Or shamanism, I suppose.

Yeah, I think it's the most likely desert religion. I tend to think of tribal
people as being very practical, but since elemental magick is a reality in
Zalanthas, there should be some kind of spiritual tradition too.  Where a
tribe doesn't spawn or tolerate actual magickers, they might well still try
to placate the nasty earth spirits who are -obviously- the reason why the
hunters are having a poor season, for example.

Quote from: "Samoa"It seems that desert types have more of a 'primal' kind of religion.  I can't think of the word for it, but it's the naturalistic kind of thing, as in, deity is present in everything, be it the sand, the wind, etc. etc. - and not an actual reach out and touch you kind of god.

Quote from: "Eternal"The word you're looking for is pagan.  *shrug*

Hmm, I don't think so.  I'd go with animism, simply because it has less trendy baggage and trendy baggage sucks.  So far I haven't seen bands of flaky teenagers going around calling themselves neo-animists.   :P  Also, "pagan" makes some folks think of Wicca, and there is far more varity in animist beliefs than just Wicca.

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/blfaq_theism_animism.htm#Animism

Oh fuck, there's neo-animists after all.   :roll:  There's nothing like people to screw up a perfectly good belief system.
http://hpwsys.com/dave/
http://www.algonet.se/~giljotin/animism.html

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Ok, ok... If no one else is going to say it, I will... That Magic card is kickass. It honors the Great Tektolnes well...

Also, if some one could answer this for me, I've always had this odd sort of dream to play a magicker... And I was hoping to have two (not at the same time of course, that's naughty!). My first one I wanted to have him worship his element, and see it as a 'gift' or a miracle or being chosen or something, despite it's social inconviences. The other sees it simply as a tool to get him what he wants... And maybe later, I could create one that sees his magick as a curse or a foul imperfection he should try to hid hiself of... Like a pimple.

Which of these philosophies or mindsets would be prefered by an Imm? And for the players, which one do you think would be the most fun to RP with?

Thanks... You know, I should really stop blabbing these character ideas until i get a chance to -play- them, huh? Well, too late now... I'm clicking the submit button... Yes... Click!  :shock:   :!:
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."