Author Topic: Feathers Feathers.  (Read 2180 times)

Desertman

Feathers Feathers.
« on: February 08, 2006, 02:34:29 PM »
I have had fletchers in the past and I always just buy my feathers for making arrows becasue actually hunting down creatures, getting two feathers at a time from them, then going to forage for my wood and shards would take forever. Not to mention that I would ruin the feathers after I actually managed to make a shaft. In the end you would come out having to kill atleast ten creatures, skin them all perfectly, and not break one feather while crafting just to get one quiver of arrows. That is just insane, so fletchers are forced to buy thier feathers. And feathers are cheap so whats the big deal right? Wrong, not all pcs are going to be able get access to these feathers in the cities....desert elves? Loner wilderness rangers (my fav). So archery is pretty much cut off to them accept for one quiver of arrows every two rl weeks and thats after they get good at fletchery. I propose this solution, have creatures yield more feathers when you skin them. Of course noone wants to see this...

Skin Beast: You get a feather
                  You get a feahter
                  You get a feather
                  You get a feather
                 You get a feather
                  You get a feather
                  You get a feather

So how about we use this item instead?

Skin Beast: You get a handful of white feathers.

Craft Handful: You could make several white feathers from that

This way if you dont want to have ten feathers you can just.....

Put Handful Bag

Or

Junk Handful

This would make it alot easier to naturally harvest feathers from creatures that would realistically have alot more than two feathers on them and at the same time not litter or clutter up the gameworld with a bunch of feathers noone needs or dont want to take the time to junk individually.

Just a little item I think will make skinning feathered beasts more realistic and being a wilderness based pc alot easier.

A handful of feathers.
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

Aldiel

Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 02:40:01 PM »
A good idea.  Although the present way doesn't really bother me either.
b]. / ^ \ ,                    
|| --- || L D I E L[/b]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  --Confucius

Moofassa

Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 02:42:55 PM »
Love it. Me and Rhyden were discussing the lack of feathers salvaged from a corpse the other day. This solves the problem perfectly.
your mother is an elf.

rishenko

Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 02:44:21 PM »
Yes, I totally agree.  Feathers should be treated like the piles of bones and chunks of rock.  You gather a handful, you craft them into individual feathers.  PLEASE, PLEASE implement this.  Or, if not, please give the birds with the six foot wingspans more than -one- feather from a skinning. :)

Tlaloc

• Legend
Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 03:02:59 PM »
Maybe you guys should work on skinning those beasties with six foot wingspans a bit more?
Tlaloc
Legend

Desertman

Right
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 03:05:13 PM »
Well I know the bird he has in mind, and no matter how good your skin gets you still only get one feather from them.

Tlaloc

• Legend
Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 03:09:54 PM »
I'll reiterate:

Maybe you guys should work on (try) skinning those beasties a bit more?
Tlaloc
Legend

rishenko

Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 03:20:40 PM »
*peers at Tialoc, his mind failing to comprehend the hidden message*

I'm dense.  Failing twice after already branching from skinning with a ranger, with extremely good wisdom, and still I only ever got one feather from those birds.  And I had killed and skinned many of them.  Many.

Or, perhaps there is something similar to "pull bark" here?  Like  "pull feather" or "pluck body" that I'm missing?

Desertman

Right
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 03:27:16 PM »
Yea I have to go with Rishenko on this one...I have had rangers who skin the hair out of a dwarf's ass...which is hard let me tell you...and these huge birds have always only given me one feather as well. But I would sell my soul to Allah if you could tell me the syntax to actually get more feathers from these things. :)

Maybe42or54

Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
Then that is kind of funny. A little northern bird lizard (about half a cord tall, if I remember correctly) has more then that and it takes all day to run that little bastard down on kankback.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Delirium

• Helper
Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 03:39:58 PM »
So don't run animals down on kankback?

Find better ways to kill them.  More efficient ways.

I do agree, however, that many animals should give more feathers.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Folker

Feathers Feathers.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 04:49:31 PM »
if the body doesnt fully dissapear after skinning, it might be a good idea trying to skin it again. But if it does ... hum.